Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backspacing weakness?

Old 01-22-2007, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backspacing weakness?

When does backspacing become too much and create a weak point, or does it ever? (etc 1" or 5" or never)

tnx
Old 01-22-2007, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

any time you put larger tires on, with less backspacing (stick out further) you put more stress on the wheel bearings. As long as the spacers or wheels are properly torqued, there really is no "weak spot" so to speak on the wheels themselves, but it does add wear and tear on the bearings and other driveline components. Usually not much of an issue until you go to 35" or bigger tires.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

would 3.5"s of backspacing be a bad idea with 35"s on an unlimited? I'm guessing it would be, but the rims i want have 4.5"s of backspacing and they dont come in a 5x5"bolt patern so i would need the adapters and they are another inch:confused:
Old 01-22-2007, 07:41 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 07RubiJK
any time you put larger tires on, with less backspacing (stick out further) you put more stress on the wheel bearings. As long as the spacers or wheels are properly torqued, there really is no "weak spot" so to speak on the wheels themselves, but it does add wear and tear on the bearings and other driveline components. Usually not much of an issue until you go to 35" or bigger tires.
What he said but in all honesty, the additional wear and tear really isn't that much especially if you keep the amount of BS as close to stock as possible.

Originally Posted by nickc
would 3.5"s of backspacing be a bad idea with 35"s on an unlimited? I'm guessing it would be, but the rims i want have 4.5"s of backspacing and they dont come in a 5x5"bolt patern so i would need the adapters and they are another inch
Well, for one, it would cause your tires to stick WAY out past the fenders and depending on what state you live in, this will be a big problem with your local law enforcement if nothing else.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Damm!t, i thought it would be a bad idea bad idea,but i just had to be sure...well how far you think it would stick out?
Anything like these?

or worse, because i think these look pretty good
Old 01-22-2007, 08:00 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Damm!t, i thought it would be a bad idea bad idea,but i just had to be sure...well how far you think it would stick out?
Anything like these?
Maybe 3" past the flares. And, considering this JK has Bushwacker flares which are already about 2" wider than stock, these tires must be sticking way out past stock

or worse, because i think these look pretty good
This one is at least 3"-4" past the flares.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

what would you guess their backspacing was, you think 3.5"backspacing would stick out this far or more?:confused:
Old 01-22-2007, 08:18 PM
JK-Forum Founder

what would you guess their backspacing was, you think 3.5"backspacing would stick out this far or more?:confused:
Well, considering they most likely were running wheelspacers in addition to wheels with already less backspacing... yeah, maybe 3.5" or so.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, sorry to keep draging this on, and thanx for your replies, but in your opinion would that be too much (bad for the bearings and such)?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:40 PM
JK-Forum Founder

OK, sorry to keep draging this on, and thanx for your replies, but in your opinion would that be too much (bad for the bearings and such)?
Too much? As I said, maybe for your local law enforcement and definitely a bit for your bearings over the long haul but looks wise... I think it kinda looks cool

Quick Reply: Backspacing weakness?