Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ball joint help.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joint help.

Getting ready to replace my ball joints with Synergy ball joints. I was reading a write up, and they used a ball joint adapter kit. I have a harbor frieght ball joint press kit, and it worked fine on my 95' Bronco.

So, for those have replaced themselves, do i need the adapter kit or will the stock harbor frieght kit be enough.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:11 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

The JK ball joints are slightly angled. Many kits aren't designed for that slight angle. There is a YouTube video where a fellow successfully uses metal plates and washers to fill in the gap between the tool and the BJ seat. You might search for that if you decide your tool isn't quite correct (you will have adapters cut at a slight angle if it is right).
Old 12-09-2013, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a parts store like Autozone or Advanced, they lend out certain tools. They will have a ball joint press and the 4x4 adapter set. If you already have the press, stop by a parts store and see if they have the 4x4 adapter set, it will help.

As mentioned above, you will need to get some washers to help with the slight angle.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just did mine 2 weeks ago. I didn't have the angled adapter so I used several thick washers to take up the gap and it worked out fine. Good luck!
Old 12-09-2013, 01:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i rented the basic ome kit from autozone and didnt have an adapter. I didnt need washers either. Was sort of a pain to get it dead lined up to work though thats probably why...
Old 12-09-2013, 04:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frP1-do4K08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwpkv6kigQE

Old 12-09-2013, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used washers and spacers too, but I have seen kits with angled adapters.

Ball joints were such a PITA to do.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I watched the you tube video that Brett from Jeep Swag produced. It helped a lot and he shows how to use the washers for the proper angle. I was sore for a few days after doing the ball joints but it was worth it rather than paying the labor expense.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Former Member

Use a small 4lb hammer and tap the knuckle when removing it makes it a TON easier....just did mine yesterday and do several sets a month.
Auto zone puller kit is what I use and made a couple small parts to assist in it...the kit can do it alone but do enough of em I made some parts to make it raised.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Surf City Dan
I watched the you tube video that Brett from Jeep Swag produced. It helped a lot and he shows how to use the washers for the proper angle. I was sore for a few days after doing the ball joints but it was worth it rather than paying the labor expense.
Thanks for all the reply's. I plan on doing the first week in January, so I will keep watching video's. SurfCity, I was sore for a week after pounding axle sleeve's in by myself.

Quick Reply: Ball joint help.