Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ball joints=death wobble?

Old 10-26-2010, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joints=death wobble?

Off road shop told me my ball joints were bad causing death wobble... I take it to the dealer for grins and find out they say my ball joints are slightly off but not enough to replace and now they are debating whether they will or not because in their opinion it doesn't need to be done... Who is more likely correct?

Oh ya and the dealer is trying to get me to buy their new damper but I know that's just a band aid on a 12 gauge shotgun wound
Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

bad ball joints can definitely cause DW. if everything checks out with your track bar, i would say that they may need replacing.

BTW - just out of curiosity, what kind of tires are you running?
Old 10-26-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A member friend of mine is having Dw issues now. He has some play in bjs. He was told the prob is his mtr kevlars.. hope u don't have them.. he said alot of ppl have had issues with the tires.. I personally don't know. Bjs fixed my shimmy I had.

sent from DroiD.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

The dealer goes by the wear limits. If it's less than max, they are unlikely to change them.

Here is some ball joint info for you:

Radial (side-to-side) movement in the upper ball joint should not exceed 0.060" (1.5mm).

Axial (up and down) movement in the lower ball joint should not exceed 0.050" (1.25mm).

A dial indicator is the best instrument to measure ball joint play.

Jack the front tire off the ground.
Place a jack stand under the axle next to the jack.
Lower to put some weight on the jack stand.
Place a long pry bar under the tire, from the side.
Have someone pry the tire up and down while you watch the lower ball joint for up and down play.
Axial (up and down) movement in the lower ball joint should not exceed 0.050"

Have someone grab the tire at top and bottom to wiggle the top in and out while you watch the upper joint for side play.
Radial (side-to-side) movement in the upper ball joint should not exceed 0.060"

Even if the upper joint checks good, change both if the lower checks bad.

Quick Reply: Ball joints=death wobble?