Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ball joints.... Grrrr

Old 02-02-2014, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joints.... Grrrr

So I may need some feed back on what others have done with creative issues with removing their ball joints. When I tried pressing out the top ball, the inner shaft pushed right through the back part of the joint leaving the knuckle packed with just the steel outer casing. Make sense?

Now I cant press out that outer steel ring!!! I'm sure (hopefully) this has happened to someone who can share creative ways to get it out.

I'll take a pic a minute... I worked on it for hours yesterday and am about to attack it again....

Also, the passenger side axle shaft won't budge. Grrrrr.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2632529067.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	528257

That is what I'm left with
Old 02-02-2014, 06:19 AM
JK Junkie

Is welding an option? Looks like it's already been cut. Obviously penetrating fluid also. Have you tapped the sides with a hammer to see if you can break it loose? Is heat an option? Heat up the outside then tap away.

What's hung up with the passenger shaft? I've used a gear puller to get the hub off of the shaft then the shaft slides right out.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls
Is welding an option? Looks like it's already been cut. Obviously penetrating fluid also. Have you tapped the sides with a hammer to see if you can break it loose? Is heat an option? Heat up the outside then tap away. What's hung up with the passenger shaft? I've used a gear puller to get the hub off of the shaft then the shaft slides right out.
Well I have success with the passenger shaft, may have just needed to walk away from it last night...

Yep, welding on gussets so can weld if needed...

I'll try to heat the inside of the ball joint... I smacked it every way possible with a chisel, hammer, wedge etc... I tried cutting it to maybe break the bond but no go.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:33 AM
JK Junkie

Maybe weld a cap to the old bj so you can press it out or see about welding a nut on there to see about sharp twists to break the bond- assuming there are no grooves that the joint slips into.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:47 AM
JK Freak

Gotcha... I can try something like that
Old 02-02-2014, 06:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you take a cold chisel and continue splitting the balljoint housing? Seems like it should relieve the pressure and come out at that point.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Can you take a cold chisel and continue splitting the balljoint housing? Seems like it should relieve the pressure and come out at that point.
About to hit it more with the grinder to split the top more.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

From what your describing, it sounds like it's now hollowed out. Can you fit a sawsall in there, maybe cut a relief, taking care not co cut into the knuckle? From there maybe you can hammer and chisel it until it breaks out.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not use a socket or cut a piece of pipe and push it out from the bottom? Get one that is a close fit to knuckle hole size.

Quick Reply: Ball joints.... Grrrr