Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Methods or Slabs?
Slabs
66.67%
Methods
33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Beadlock Opinions Needed: Slabs or Method 105's?

Old 03-31-2018, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Beadlock Opinions Needed: Slabs or Method 105's?

Hello hello,

I recently moved out of D.C. and am due to graduate from school in a few months (it's time to start saving on rent, D.C. sucks), meaning I have some extra cash for 37's and beadlocks.

Normally I'm not one to dwell this much on aesthetics, but I'm about to drop a pretty penny on these and could use some more opinions. Unfortunately I'm torn between the ATX Slabs and Method 105's. I asked my friends, and that just left me more flustered: all the girls liked the Methods, and the guys liked the Slabs. As for tires: I'm between the Nitto Trail Grapplers or the Cooper STT Pros right now. Feedback on tires would be appreciated too if you've run either in a 37x12.5.

I read somewhere the Slabs weigh more than the Methods, but can't find any numbers online to back any of that up. Anyone have personal experience? No the JK is not my DD (bring on the Volvo jokes, I can take it ) so street friendliness doesn't matter...but lighter is ultimately better. I drive the JK to the trails, and sometimes around town when the weather is nice (D.C./Northern Virginia can be really disgustingly humid at times).

Some recent pics are attached. Opinions please! Thanks!

Last edited by BoraBora; 03-31-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:58 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Methods for the weight savings.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I love my Slabs. They are super easy to mount in your garage with a torque wrench. I am running 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers on them and literally threw the tires on them without balancing and they are smooth as silk. Very happy with both. The only con I can think of is the ring on the Slabs do hold water pretty bad, but it isn't hard to get out.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Is it the methods that are dual drilled so if you have any thread issues that you've got a second set of holes ready to go? Any reason you aren't going away from the norm with a set of AE TrailReady's? They could leave a little extra cash in your pocket for the tires.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Is it the methods that are dual drilled so if you have any thread issues that you've got a second set of holes ready to go? Any reason you aren't going away from the norm with a set of AE TrailReady's? They could leave a little extra cash in your pocket for the tires.

If they are dual drilled, I had no idea. These are the ones I'm referring to: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/b...ock-wheel-17x9

AE TrailReady's? These?: https://shop.aewheel.com/collections...nt=20294006851
I've actually never heard of them till now. Not too bad looking, but I'm assuming the shipping won't be free. The Methods run $300 a wheel after a discount code, and free shipping. Thanks for bringing more options to my attention though!

I read Trail Ready's and I got excited. Too bad they're outrageously expensive, otherwise I'd love a set with their World Series rings.

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Methods for the weight savings.
Do you happen to know the weight difference? If it's more than 5 pounds, then that seals the deal on the Methods for me.

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I love my Slabs. They are super easy to mount in your garage with a torque wrench. I am running 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers on them and literally threw the tires on them without balancing and they are smooth as silk. Very happy with both. The only con I can think of is the ring on the Slabs do hold water pretty bad, but it isn't hard to get out.
Yeah, I've ready nothing but great reviews from people. No balancing issues sounds good, especially after these MTR's; I had trouble balancing them since day 1, will never buy another set

Last edited by BoraBora; 03-31-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Methods are about 32lbs. As long as long as my scale and fed ex is right on my tire weight.
The following users liked this post:
BoraBora (04-01-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 06:28 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe my Methods weighed in at 30 but again the scale may not have been the most fine tuned.
The following users liked this post:
BoraBora (04-02-2018)

Trending Topics

Old 04-02-2018, 07:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

You and I appear to have similar styles and use of our jeeps. I have 37" trail grapplers. I've been pretty happy with performance in general, but I'm bit frustrated with general wear. I have ~31k miles on mine now coming up on 3 years this summer. Lugs on em are all chewed to shit, but what really gets me is the wear at the base of the lug. All kinds of cracks and wear to the point it looks like I might just tear off a whole lug all together. IDK.....I'm thinking about changing to something else with my next tire.

Also in the same boat in regards to beadlocks. Been looking around and ready to pull the trigger. The Method 105s are sure attractive from a price perspective, but I'm not a huge fan of the looks in general. Been looking at the Dirty Life DT-1's, but haven't found many actually running those yet. I might end up on Raceline Monster 233s.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by resharp001
You and I appear to have similar styles and use of our jeeps. I have 37" trail grapplers. I've been pretty happy with performance in general, but I'm bit frustrated with general wear. I have ~31k miles on mine now coming up on 3 years this summer. Lugs on em are all chewed to shit, but what really gets me is the wear at the base of the lug. All kinds of cracks and wear to the point it looks like I might just tear off a whole lug all together. IDK.....I'm thinking about changing to something else with my next tire.

Also in the same boat in regards to beadlocks. Been looking around and ready to pull the trigger. The Method 105s are sure attractive from a price perspective, but I'm not a huge fan of the looks in general. Been looking at the Dirty Life DT-1's, but haven't found many actually running those yet. I might end up on Raceline Monster 233s.
Dang, that's disappointing to hear about the Trail Graps. You basically just described my MTR/K's It's raining/misting here so the moisture is hiding a lot of the cracks in the tread, but here's a few pics:

I hear ya on the Methods: I'm not really sold on the looks, they look a little mall-crawlery. The price and weight makes it a little hard to pass on though. I actually just read a thread on JKO where some guy had custom rings made for $35 a piece, and now I'm thinking I might pull the trigger. I also heard about the Dirty Life wheels recently, but yeah...I haven't been able to find much info on people running them.

I like the Racelines, but I've also had a weakness for Walker Evans for a while now. Only thing really holding me back is the $400 price tag + shipping. I'm ultimately trying to keep the wheels under $2k for a set of 5.

Looks like the Methods are $285 a wheel right now on Northridge after the coupon code "JKFORUM"...and free shipping. Might just have to pull the trigger
Old 04-02-2018, 08:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Y, that last picture is very similar to what I'm describing on my TGs. I get the chunking out of the top of the lug.....and I accept that for the way I use my tires, but the wear near the bottom of the lugs seems less acceptable to me. Compared to something like a Toyo Open Country MT, I can see the tread design having a bit more stress maybe based on the spacing. Kinda stinks, cuz love the looks and performance of the tire.

Quick Reply: Beadlock Opinions Needed: Slabs or Method 105's?