Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Beadlocks. Am I really going to get a ticket? Why do they say 25lb max air pressure?

Old 11-29-2013, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ran my Racelines for the past three years, both on and off road, with zero issues -- this includes passing a yearly safety inspection. I've ran both 35's and now 38's at 28 psi with no problems either. The big tire chains won't mount them but they will balance them if you mount them and bring them in.

Take your time, follow the instructions, install them correctly (it'll take you all afternoon) and you'll be able to forget all about them until you need to air-down to single digits.

Not trying to be negative but just offering some advise. If you're worried about beadlocks, they might not be right for you? They are more difficult to install. If you ever have to have a tire patched, you'll have to pull the tire off (Discount wont mount OR dismount) and then put it back on again. They're more expensive. They're heavier. There may be liability problems if you're involved in a wreck (but an attorney would be able to find liability with anything/everything if you caused the wreck.....)? A deflated tire, clamped to a beadlock, creates more traction and causes one to try harder and harder trails -- this typically causes more damage and breakage of other parts. They are another step down the path of limiting the pool of potential buyers if you ever intend to sell your Jeep. If none of these things really matter to you then maybe they are for you?

Last edited by SofaRider; 11-29-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
OP why do you feel you need them? Do you air down low enough that the beadlocks are required? Just curious...
That's the problem. Right now I'm afraid to go below 12-13 lbs. When doing the Rubicon and Moab along with a few Big Bear trails I would like to go lower without having to sweat the tires coming off the bead.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like having the piece of mind to air down to 5 psi and not have to worry about the bead. It's a bit of work to mount the tires but IMO it's well worth it. I also don't believe in living life wondering who's going to sue me for what. If you getting involved in an accident and somehow a lawyer is able to prove it's the wheels fault then I'm sure there would be a laundry list of other things wrong with your Jeep, just my two cents...
Old 11-29-2013, 11:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

There are also bead locks that can go inside your tyre that are inflatable. They are invisible as they are mounted inside the tyre. I have not used them or know of anyone using them but I know they're out there and are an option for somebody like yourself.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronin2120
I like having the piece of mind to air down to 5 psi and not have to worry about the bead. It's a bit of work to mount the tires but IMO it's well worth it. I also don't believe in living life wondering who's going to sue me for what. If you getting involved in an accident and somehow a lawyer is able to prove it's the wheels fault then I'm sure there would be a laundry list of other things wrong with your Jeep, just my two cents...
True.........
Old 11-30-2013, 04:24 AM
JK Jedi

Okay, I see where your located and running the trails you run it does make sense to run them. Guess if you want piece of mind then run the DOT approved ones and you'll be fine. Good luck!!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're fine.... check the bolts occasionally and forget about this issue.

The amount of fake beadlocks here in SoCal is high, the cops have no clue, even if it was something they wanted to enforce.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ABENDX
You're fine.... check the bolts occasionally and forget about this issue.

The amount of fake beadlocks here in SoCal is high, the cops have no clue, even if it was something they wanted to enforce.
I have to agree here. State inspections might check it, but not many cops would even know the difference.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:51 PM
JK Freak

I asked my brother about them as a test. He didnt know anything about them. He even said, " too many fine lines to deal with when it comes to motor vehicles. It comes down to owner responsibility and liability in many cases. Beadlocks aren't on his radar. " lol. But maybe now they are?! Haha
Old 12-02-2013, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

I don't know why but they are not legal in Maine

I'll get a set of slabs next time I do mods, just coming off a pricey full axles mod

I already need to keep my original factory factory rims and tires to pass inspection because my 37's stick out a little bit beyond the fenders...

I thought if it were dot certified that would supersede state regulations?

I know if you have a vehicle tinting darker than your states law, that if it came from the manufacturer as a factory option vs aftermarket, you are ok

Matthew

Quick Reply: Beadlocks. Am I really going to get a ticket? Why do they say 25lb max air pressure?