Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Beadlocks. Am I really going to get a ticket? Why do they say 25lb max air pressure?

Old 11-28-2013, 11:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beadlocks. Am I really going to get a ticket? Why do they say 25lb max air pressure?

I am planning on buying a set of beadlocks for my 35" Duratracs. They would be for street and trail. Does anyone actually get a ticket running them on the street? Why do they say 25 lbs. max air pressure? I usually run my Duratracs at 30 on the highway. Who can I get to mount them, Discount Tire said no way? Are there balancing issues? It's a lot of money so I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive run beadlocks for 5 years on and offroad.. never a issue .. some are DOT approved. aev/hutchensons... but that dosent matter ive never heard of anyone having a issues running them on road. just mount them yourself... not hard , just takes time.. you can use balance beads or have them balanced with weights like reg wheels.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:16 AM
JK Freak

I don't think you would ever have a problem with running them.

But, they aren't DOT approved and in an accident the other side can use that against you........

Just saying.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not to hijack but what makes a set of rims not DOT approved?
Old 11-29-2013, 04:46 AM
JK Super Freak

AEV and Hutchinsons make DOT beadlocks
Old 11-29-2013, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

If you want the statues for each state check out the site Lift Laws | Suspension Lift Laws By State. They have listed at least for Washington all the RCW laws that pertain to vehicle condition and equipment.

For me I have a set of double bead lock tires from Trail Worthy Fab that are DOT approved and have been great for wheeling.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 1LuckyJK
The product/specifications are submitted to the DOT and tested for safety and compliance of some obscure spec/law.

If I were to run beadlocks, I would have one that was DOT approved just for the safety factor at 70.....

My 3 cents..........
Old 11-29-2013, 05:19 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the AEV's and they are DOT approved. You can mount and balance them yourself using some dish soap, balance beads and a 5 gallon bucket. I've had mine for almost two years and never got a ticket or even questioned by the police. If I'm not mistaken for them to be DOT approved the manufacture has to pay for them to be researched and approved by the DOT which obviously costs money.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 1LuckyJK
Atx slabs are not DOT as far as I know

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2013, 05:48 PM
JK Jedi

OP why do you feel you need them? Do you air down low enough that the beadlocks are required? Just curious...

Quick Reply: Beadlocks. Am I really going to get a ticket? Why do they say 25lb max air pressure?