Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Because I know we all like tire questions!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Because I know we all like tire questions!!!

I know... I'm sorry. You're all sick of the same old tire questions. But I need answers, as my tire purchase may be coming sooner than expected.

I think I've more or less narrowed my choice down to 3: The BFG Mud Terrain (KM), BFG Mud Terrain KM2, and BFG All Terrain.

I hear the Mud Terrains (KM) are horrible in packed slushy snow, after reading through pages and pages from Google. What is your opinion? Is it really that bad? I mean, it's the tire they put on Rubi's!

I've heard NOTHING about the KM2's. I understand there's a different tread pattern. Anybody know if it improves snow handling any?

I need a year round tire. As it is, a set of 5 is going to leave me broke, so there's no chance of me getting a second set. I do a lot of highway driving. I also plan on doing a lot of off roading this year (My resolution!), so I want a tire that does well. Can anybody give input? Thank you.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire

has anyon tried the firestone discovery mt they have some good stats and pretty cheap
Old 01-04-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

one word NITTO but thats my opinion
Old 01-04-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Junkie

So far we are really suprised how well the stock rubi MTs work in the ice and snow. They seem to work alot better then the BFG MT's I had on my lifted cherokee. They did ok until the tread hit below 50%, but then they were horrible on the highway in any wet condition. Hopefully the redesigned tread fairs better once the tread wears down. Also, I know several people have siped they tires with very good results.

I ve owned a couple pairs of BFG AT's and they are a great on-road and winter tire. They do ok off-road, but definitely arent in the same league as MT's. Avoid mud if you can, the glazed donuts comment was right on! I personally wouldnt run these on our jeep unless it was a second set for the winter. The trails around here get too muddy.

I have no idea about the KM2's. I m very curious about them though. Im thinkin about these when the stock MT were down more.

Last edited by bly109; 01-04-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bodybrdng
one word NITTO but thats my opinion
I've really been partial toward BFG because I thought they were under the same roof as Michelin. My past two trucks both had Michelin tires on them, and let's just say: WOW... Great great tires.

Nitto, though, I've seen some guys running them. They're a lot cheaper in price though, which makes me . Looks like if I were to consider Nitto, they'd be the Terra Grapplers...
Old 01-04-2008, 10:54 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Nitto, though, I've seen some guys running them. They're a lot cheaper in price though, which makes me . Looks like if I were to consider Nitto, they'd be the Terra Grapplers...
Thats what I have and love them......
Old 01-04-2008, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Pro comp has a couple of good tires, but for your question everyone has hit the nail on this one. The BFG AT KO is hands down is everything that the local (MASS) forums talk about for overall good tire. As warned here they are not a good mud tire. Many are getting well over 50k on these tires.

I'm not sure with the new Mud terrain tires (KM2) as they a pretty new overall. Tire Discount gave me my best prices here in Mass. I believe the AT KO at 33" was 170 a tire. That doesn't include mounting but at least there is no shipping charge
Old 01-04-2008, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RuBob
Any mud terrain without siping is going to suffer in icey or hard-packed conditions. Slushy isn't too bad, because they will cut through. For New England winters, I like siped mud-terrains like the Toyo or Cooper Discoverer STT.
I don't know but I have had no problems with my Rubi tires in the snow and we have been getting a lot of it.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bly109
So far we are really suprised how well the stock rubi MTs work in the ice and snow.
Me too. As mentioned the BFG Muds for the Rubi have a tread pattern that was redesigned slightly to provide better packed snow/ice traction by adding more biting edges (apparently Jeep said they would go with BFG for the Rubis only if they could redesign the tire to provide better packed snow traction, which was a complaint that some had about the MTRs). I've only driven it in the packed snow once, but I was impressed. Unfortunately I don't think BFG makes the Rubi tires in sizes other than 32".

Quick Reply: Because I know we all like tire questions!!!