Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bed liner removal?

Old 04-04-2017, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Larry0071, thank you for your ultimate off-road wisdom of awesomeness and badassery. While I'm sure you love the demolition derby and John Cena, drink a mean boxed wine, and rock a pretty awesome mullet, you must know that not all jeep trips consist of smashing your $30,000+ investment into rocks and boulders. While I appreciate your opinion on how I should use my jeep, please try and remember that the question I asked was how to remove bed liner. Since you obviously do not possess the knowledge of how to remove bed liner, please refrain from posting on the topic about how much of a hardcore billy badass you think you are. Keep to the topic at hand. For everyone else, thank you a lot for your ideas. Honestly, the rest of you have been very helpful.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Obviously, you can heat it and scrape it, wire brush on a drill, sand it, flapper wheel on a Dewalt, or rub it on rocks. My point is that your adding ROCK RAILS and your in a tizzy over bedliner on the bottom side... where it can not be seen... where they rub rocks.... You'll end up spraying that same area over and over if you rub them on rocks, but again... long before your rock rails (that I assume you bought because you plan on wheeling on rocks?) get rubbed, the lower control arm brackets, arms, diff covers and axle housing will be making some pretty fun and interesting sounds as rock is being crushed, gouged and broken by those parts. The entire underside of your Jeep, including that transmission crossmember will be bent, deformed and in need of many cans of VHT Chassis Epoxy paint in an attempt at preventing the gouged areas from rusting. And after all of that, the little discolored area on the hidden underside of the rock rail will be a no-never mind. I've got more sprayed VHT and bed liner on my JK than factory paint... and yet it looks pretty okay. So my point is that when you go play off of the road, you'll be doing an awful lot of spray bomb paint repairs and you can't possibly go full anal and strip/recoat things every time you use the Jeep. I do realize that some folks buy things like rock rails and similar with no intention of using them, that's up to them. But at the same time I like to assume that a person buying a gun will shoot it and a person buying rock rails and armor for their Jeep are doing so with intent to use it. My mullet/nuclear powered/Constitutional-Republican/Tea Party Jeep has honestly had many cans worth of VHT applied to the rock rails, axles, bumpers and armor. But most people assume incorrectly that my Jeep does not go off-road because I detail the shit out of it when I am done wheeling it on rocks. I don't do mud.... I am a rock only kind of fellow. Mud ruins things, rocks just bend and bash shit. So if your trying to create a concourse show ready JK, I have no issue with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rausch Creek Crawl Daddy Rocks Small.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	506.8 KB
ID:	669754

Name:	Southington Rock Pile 1 Small.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	669755

Name:	Southington Rock Pile 2 Small.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	669756

Name:	Southington Rock Pile 3 Small.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	475.2 KB
ID:	669757
Old 04-05-2017, 01:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Larry is right about beating up other stuff. My poor crossmember. I am also attacking knocks, scratches, and dents with paint to stop rust each time I damage something and that is a lot of work. I find it fun though and it keeps it looking nice.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how to get bedliner off, only having put it in truck beds, but I can appreciate wanting something that goes on my Jeep to be in a nice and acceptable (to me) condition. If it gets beat up, scratched, dented, torn off, crushed or anything else after I put it on then those scars are my memories not a previous owner.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Larry is on a roll in this one......

If you want to start fresh, take it to a shop and have them sand blast and powder coat it.

Obviously, you purchased these to save money, so here's a 3 step option brought to you by HF that will go in line with that saving money thinking.

Step1:
Buy some different grades of sandpaper starting with course and working your way down and go to work on those rails with this tool.

http://www.harborfreight.com/oscilla...ool-62279.html

Step 2:
After sanded down, then prime it up with some of this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-oz-i...int-60789.html

Step 3:
After getting it primed back up then hit it with 2-3 coats of this which is the closest thing I've seen to power coat and works well, and tough as nails.

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-12-o...ing-60783.html

Scrape them on rocks, go back to step 3.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-06-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Do you think a needle gun will remove it?
Old 04-06-2017, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spytec128
It prob would but man it would be slow.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinlee
It prob would but man it would be slow.
... and painfull
Old 04-07-2017, 12:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

rattle can wheel paint holds up surprisingly well
Originally Posted by larry0071
I would NEVER pay for blasting and powder coating on a set of bars I bought to beat and drag against rocks. Go buy a couple cans of spray bomb bed liner and touch up as needed. They are not pretty parts, they are functional parts. If used as rock rails, you will be spray bombing them after every outing. Shove cardboard between the body and the rock rail and spray away.

.......Or, are they used to look cool while traversing the mall parking lot?
Old 04-07-2017, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Spytec128
I'm sure there are a lot of things that would work. Sandpaper with various sanding tools, wire wheel, sand blaster, heat gun, soaking in some kind of paint remover chemical. Some may work better than others. I'm pretty sure what won't work is trying none of them, and waiting for someone to come along and make a better suggestion.

OP I hope you really saved some $ on these if those spots are bothering you because I've seen the enhanced rock rails on my local CL going for $200-$250 not needing any paint repair. I would expect a shop to charge more than that to strip and repaint/powder coat. I've considered purchasing a set a couple times, but then tried them out and realized they don't work very well as a step.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-07-2017 at 02:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Bed liner removal?