Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

best lubricant for suspension parts

Old 04-02-2014, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to use synthetic grease for my sway bar links since they have fittings but was curious what everyone use in areas that don't have grease fittings.

Is good old wd-40 the way to go here or should I be using silicone or white lithium spray lube? I plan on hitting the top and bottom seats of my springs as well as the bushings/connection points for the shocks, control arms, track bar etc.

Thanks!

Last edited by mpthompson84; 04-02-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mpthompson84
I'm going to use synthetic grease for my sway bar links since they have fittings but was curious what everyone use in areas that don't have grease fittings.

Is good old wd-40 the way to go here or should I be using silicone or white lithium spray lube? I plan on hitting the top and bottom seats of my springs as well as the bushings/connection points for the shocks, control arms, track bar etc.

Thanks!
i would suggest using fluid film, it is safe for everything and an excellent rust inhibitor. you can actually spray the entire underside of the jeep with it (just not the exhaust system) and it will prevent rust. you can buy it from kellsport in aerosol cans, pump spray cans, or a application gun that runs on a compressor.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Not sure why you would use a synthetic grease for sway bar links, I would be more concerned with the tackafirers in it. I would use something like the Lucas red tacky. Dry film like said before on other factory bushings.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Not sure why you would use a synthetic grease for sway bar links, I would be more concerned with the tackafirers in it. I would use something like the Lucas red tacky. Dry film like said before on other factory bushings.
That's just what I had read to use. Was going to grab some synthetic marine or synthetic mobile 1. I will check out red tacky.

I was just going to hit up the local hardware store or auto parts store for the spray lubricant. Hopefully they will have some dry film...if not maybe pb white lithium grease. afraid wd-40 will just dry everything out and remove the Grease that is already on there if any
Old 04-02-2014, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Royal purple has an amazing spray on lubricant. It lasts a lot longer than other similar products. I keep having the throttle shaft stick on and old carb, tried several products that lasted a few weeks. Tried royal purple and it's lasted several years, only one application. I am also a fan of the green grease product. It was designed for multiple application and is very water resistant. Lot of mud bloggers I've talked to swear by it. I've had good luck using it so far using it on bearing and tie rod ends.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:42 PM
JK Freak

Careful with lithium grease, it will break down poly bushings. I went with castrol synthetic. Works great and stays tacky even in my wet climate.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dahmer
Royal purple has an amazing spray on lubricant. It lasts a lot longer than other similar products. I keep having the throttle shaft stick on and old carb, tried several products that lasted a few weeks. Tried royal purple and it's lasted several years, only one application. I am also a fan of the green grease product. It was designed for multiple application and is very water resistant. Lot of mud bloggers I've talked to swear by it. I've had good luck using it so far using it on bearing and tie rod ends.
Is this it? Amazon.com: Royal Purple 05000 Maxfilm High Performance Multipurpose Synthetic Penetrating Spray Lubricant - 11 oz.: Automotive

I'm using their grease on anything with a zerk. Amazon.com: Royal Purple 01312 NLGI No. 2 High Performance Multi-Purpose Synthetic Ultra Performance Grease - 14.5 oz.: Automotive
Old 04-03-2014, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went with liquid wrench dry lubricant...apparently it's very similar to fluid film but easier to find local. Got it at harbor freight...seems to have helped..maybe. Definitely didn't hurt
Old 04-07-2014, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry to be late back to the party but yes the first link you sent from amazon was what I used on my carb linkage. The second grease product is also a very good product to use.

Quick Reply: best lubricant for suspension parts