Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Rear Bumper

Old 06-23-2007, 07:50 PM
goldja

Default Best Rear Bumper

I am having a hard time deciding, all things considered, which rear bumper is best overall. Price is not an important consideration.
I am open to suggestions and your input, but my current short list is: Jeeperman and Purejeep (both with the rear tire carrier).
I am waiting until DC publishes 2008 pricing to order a 08 2 door Rubicon. The Rubicon will be used to tow on a trailer behind my motor home. Therefore, it will get some use on pavement, when I travel, however I am going to purchase it primarily for wheeling, as I have other vehicles to use for daily driving.
Pictures of your bumpers and your decision making process in its purchase would be appreciated.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is very subjective. It all depends on what you want from a bumper. For me, I didn't want a swing out tire carrier so I got an olympic defender rear bumper. Does everything I need it to do.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lod bumpers are very nice , take a look.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:49 PM
goldja

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
This is very subjective. It all depends on what you want from a bumper. For me, I didn't want a swing out tire carrier so I got an olympic defender rear bumper. Does everything I need it to do.
The purpose of the bumper is primarily to protect the body, etc., from damage when off road. Approach angles and ground clearance are major considerations in my choice of rear bumpers.
In addition, I need to be able to tow a 1500 pound trailer on occasion. Therefore, I would prefer a rear bumper that will allow me to utilize the factory 2 inch receiver/trailer hitch and the factory trailer hitch electrical connection.
I want to get the weight of the tire/wheel off of the rear tailgate, therefore, I need a rear bumper that has a swing out tire carrier, with some sort of a locking device that will stop the wheel/tire from swinging back towards the vehicle when the vehicle is off camber. I hate to keep fighting gravity and having to keep pushing the swing out tire carrier away whenever the vehicle is tilted/leaning the wrong way.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:01 PM
JK Freak

I'm looking for a similar bumper and the only one I've seen that utilizes the stock receiver is the Purejeep one. I'd like to see more options though.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dunemobbin
I'm looking for a similar bumper and the only one I've seen that utilizes the stock receiver is the Purejeep one. I'd like to see more options though.
Holding out to see what AEV offers. Maybe done by the end of the year.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:10 PM
goldja

Originally Posted by lightning
Holding out to see what AEV offers. Maybe done by the end of the year.
How did you come up with that end of the year timeframe? Do you have an inside track to AEV?
I like AEV's products, but that is a long time to wait for something that I may or may not want to purchase.
Are there any pictures of the prototype?
Old 06-25-2007, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that the Warn rear bumper allowed use of the factory tow hitch.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Anybody know the weights of any of these bumpers? They look pretty beefy and bulky. Just curious.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:30 PM
goldja

Originally Posted by 2K1TJ
Anybody know the weights of any of these bumpers? They look pretty beefy and bulky. Just curious.
I tried to check on the weight of the Jeeperman and Purejeep bumpers by checking their web sites and a few other places and no luck.
Prehaps I am getting too cynical in my old age, but I bet that if they were light that the factories would publish the weight every where.
My best guess is close to 100lbs and more with the tire carrier.
I have heard that they make stock suspensions sag 1 to 2 inches, so they must weigh a lot.
But I want a pretty hefty bumper for protection for when I screw up.

Quick Reply: Best Rear Bumper