Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Shocks for rough roads

Old 03-17-2014, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found that shocks are very subjective to the user. Some people like very different rides.. I used to work at an off-road shop and it was amazing how often two guys with the exact same Jeeps and lift kits would hate or love the supplied shocks. So we always kept a set of soft and stiff shocks in stock for our standard lifts.

It should also be mentioned that coils and shocks are often paired so what works well together. So what feels good to me on AEV coils might not feel good to someone else on Rubicon Express coils.

I have installed the AEV 3.5 with the 5100 bilsteins. I really like the ride in the summer but right now our roads here in Canada are half ice, pavement and potholes. I could certainly use something softer.. So I am really considering the Rancho 9000s so I could stiffen in the summer and for highway use but loosen them up in the winter.

Something else to consider is dropping your PSI a little. This time of year if I'm not on the highway much I keep my PSI fairly low and it really really helps. I'm down to just 15 right now but I only drive 5km to work and the roads are just insane with the ice melting.. Something there are 6 inch drops from ice to pavement.. Alignment and rim shops are doing great business..
Old 03-18-2014, 06:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Consider the 7000's too. So many people want to compare the 9000 vs the 5100.
Like I just mentioned in Another thread. The 7000's are going to give you better performance but more firm. Not as firm as the 5100 though IMO.
But .... if I had to choose. 9000>5100
Old 03-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Consider the 7000's too. So many people want to compare the 9000 vs the 5100.
Like I just mentioned in Another thread. The 7000's are going to give you better performance but more firm. Not as firm as the 5100 though IMO.
But .... if I had to choose. 9000>5100
This is good info too.
I drove out to the King of the Hammers, and I had horrible weather out and back.
First day 12.5 hours in 4WD in a nasty blizzard across two states. No issues at all, shocks were perfect.
Last day 18 hours in the JKU. No issues at all. The snow/ junky roads were absorbed by these shocks.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

Like everyone else has stated. Rancho 9000 or OME Nitro Sport shocks are going to be the two best riding shocks around. But ride is all subjective. You may find that one or the other may be to soft or too firm for you. From personally experience I like the OME shocks.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Default Rubi springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, TF leveling kit

Just had my Rancho 9000's shocks and Rubi springs installed on my 2 door sport this past Saturday. The ride is unbelievable. I feel like I'm driving a completely different Jeep. Here in NYC the roads are some of the crappiest roads I've ever driven on and this set up has completely changed my ride to work. It feels as though the jeep is more planted and the handling has improved at least 10 fold. Also the adjustable shocks really made it all worth it. Worth every penny I paid.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffe
Just had my Rancho 9000's shocks and Rubi springs installed on my 2 door sport this past Saturday. The ride is unbelievable. I feel like I'm driving a completely different Jeep. Here in NYC the roads are some of the crappiest roads I've ever driven on and this set up has completely changed my ride to work. It feels as though the jeep is more planted and the handling has improved at least 10 fold. Also the adjustable shocks really made it all worth it. Worth every penny I paid.
What do you have the shocks set at? If they're the adjustable ones? Thx
Old 04-14-2014, 08:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tuned coilovers or oris...
Old 04-15-2014, 09:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
What do you have the shocks set at? If they're the adjustable ones? Thx
I keep the dial set right in the middle. I played around and made them softer but I have grown accustomed to a firmer set up so I changed them back
Old 12-20-2018, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My experience with Rancho stopped nearly 20 years ago... so I cannot speak to their current shock products, but they must have changed rather drastically from 20 years ago to now to get the reviews they have here.
So, 20 years ago i went to OME.
Was so pleased with OME's I've stuck with them and am still running them...

Quick Reply: Best Shocks for rough roads