JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Best supercharger for the money... ripp? 505? Sprintex? other????? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/best-supercharger-money-ripp-505-sprintex-other-214051/)

pauldana 01-16-2012 10:03 AM

Best supercharger for the money... ripp? 505? Sprintex? other?????

I would like to Supercharge my 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I have been looking all over the internet for who offers kits for our Jeeps.... this is what I have posted on the other forum:

differance between, 505 Performance superchar, and RIPP supercharger kit for wrangler
Just got off the phone with 505.... talked to RIPP 2 days ago.....

505 states that there supercharger starts delivering power 1-2K RPM below that of the RIPP charger... has a wastgate like a turbo, and is cheaper....

The 505 is $4500 with inercooler!!!!.... this is $1000 less than RIPP and seems to be better....

any opinions?

thx, paul
Although I feel I am extremely adapt to NA engines, (I have build well over 10 engines now, the last delivered 460 hp and 440tq at the rear wheels running through an irs) but....I am just learning about forced induction... here is what i have been told to offer counter to your statement.... please remember, this is only what I have been told.... I am new to FI

The 505 can and does develop its tq and thus hp (HP=TQ*RPM\5252) starting lower in the RPM band, and can maintain it all the way up the band. this is achieved by the use of a smaller pulley to achieve sooner boost.... now this is when the two really vary, 505 puts on a wast gate, where ripp has none, thus the ability to have acceptable boost levels at both low AND high RPM's....

comments?
ok...so now we seem to have 4 choices.... as far as 505,the complaint seemed to be about 2 years ago,and nothing bad since.... so still viable......

Choices:
1. Ripp ~$5500 W/intercooler
2. 505 ~$4500 W/intercooler
3. Sprintex ~$3900 Positive Displacement no intercooler needed
4. Avenger ~$5000 Positive Displacement no intercooler needed

pricing is what i have found on the internet... you may find different

Ripp and 505 are in front of the injection, and it seems the Sprintex is a roots style taking the place of the intake manifold.

the 505 is over $1000 cheaper than the rip with intercooler and has a blowoff valve.

the ripp has a lot more web presence and not much bad found.

The Sprintex Helical Twin Screw is a Positive Displacement Supercharger.better yet
sooner and lower rpm boost

SergeantChuck 01-16-2012 11:03 AM

I did some searching just out of curiosity because I just installed a Ripp SC. By the way, it would not be $1000 difference either. I will tell you that their are distributors selling the Ripp for $500 over the $4500 of that 505 kit. Just search the web. They are out there.

I googled the 505 Supercharge and the first few link I found had stuff like this.

Additionally, when you go to their website they have very limited information. That does not give me a warm fuzzy.

As far as delivering power 1K-2K lower than the Ripp? I can feel a distinct difference on my take off speed from a stand still. Not a lot but there is some. At about 2K she really starts pulling hard all the way through 5k when she changes gears. That is at WOT. Not sure how thier system could start much sooner. I feel that statement may be a little exaggerated. I am definitely no expert and have only had my SC for a short time.

Below are a few things I found on the first page of a google search

------------------------------------------------------

First of all they have numerous typos and gramatical errors on the webpage but that isnt the main issue.

The biggest problem with this kit is that it uses an FMU (Fuel Management Unit) to control the hole set up. FMUs are the WORST way to control such a system. If I remember correctly FMU change the fuel pressure to regulate fuel delivery and this is not the right way of doing it. This is definately not a reliable kit because of the FMU.

Diablo has finally cracked the JK ECU so if you want a supercharger kit, go with one that uses the Diablo for tuning. Currently Avenger is the only one on the market. (I am sure RIPP isnt too far behind if you were wondering about them)

Lastly, I would stick with a roots style blower because it is better suited for what most people use their Jeeps for but I dont want that last statement to turn into a huge argument as it has on other threads so I am just throwing it out there as an opinion.

-----------------------------------------------------
Posted3/23/2010
Summary - I want a refund for a product purchased that never worked.
Complaint Description
I bought a kit from this company for $4550. I was told that they would charge me half at first and then the other half upon shipment. They charged me the second half before they sent it out, and I received the kit two weeks later. I found a shop to install the kit for me, but Zach sent one of the boxes to a company that he recommended install the kit and asked me to take my Jeep and the other parts over there for install. I got my Jeep back three days later. After another 3 days, I had to have the car towed back because of a fuel leak caused by the kit. Even the people in the other shop were frustrated with the way that Zach handled the situation saying that the instructions he sent were incorrect and the kit was incomplete. After another month, I had my Jeep back. I again had to get it towed for the same problem. I had a different shop disassemble the kit and I asked Zach Steele for a refund to which he agreed. I sent the parts to him, but he refused a package because it was damaged during shipping. He told me that the part was completely missing; however, when I called the post office, they confirmed that it was in the package. I spent a lot of money installing the kit, taking the kit out, and towing the Jeep. I lost a lot of money because I did not have my vehicle for over a month and a half making work at certain times impossible. Zach is now telling me to contact his attorney and that he is not wiling to give me a refund.
Resolution Sought
All that I want is my $4550 that I paid for a product that never worked. I gave him and the shop that he recommended plenty of time to fix it. I refuse to put it back on my Jeep as it has been nothing but a money pit.

Additional Information
Date Problem Occurred:
Product or Service:
Model Name/Number:
Date Purchased:
Order Number:
Amount In Dispute:
2/2/2010
A supercharger kit for a 2009 Jeep JK

1/22/2010

$4,550.00
Company's Response
Posted4/19/2010
Summary - Parts were damaged on return, & sent back to customer. Company willing to issue partial refund if he returns parts, they will inspect & repaint parts, then sell as new used.

Response
The company states the package was clearly damaged. The company can't take responsibility for items that were not boxed properly and no refund can be issued at this time. At this point, the only thing the company can do is sell the part as new used. The customer must resend the parts and they can go through and inspect service and repaint all parts and then sell it as new used. This may reduce his refund and could take up to 60 days. If this is an acceptable solution then feel free to have the customer send the products back so they can resolve this situation. Bottom line, if the part would have been packaged correctly, the customer would have received a full refund. Company is not responsible for the inability to package products in a manner that keeps products in the same shape as when they were sent. At this time, the customer has the part in his possession and the company can't give any type of refund. The company is not responsible for the abilities of other shops to perform jobs correctly. It is company's understanding that the shop that installed the kit has recently changed owners and the company is unaware that they could not perform the task of installing the supercharger correctly. It clearly states in the instructions that it is the owners responsibility to check the complete installation supercharger.
Customer's Rebuttal
Posted4/27/2010
The fact that I am being offered less for a product than what I purchased it for is ridiculous. Compounded with the fact that the product that I purchased never worked is absolutely unacceptable. The argument is being lost over damaged boxes. Bottom line, Zach offered me a complete refund knowing very well that the part had been installed on my vehicle. He is also aware of the fact that it never worked for over a month and a half. He even suggested that I drive around with the kit installed on my vehicle while he figured out a new fuel delivery system that would actually work. He knew that the kit was garbage. Now he wants to resell this product to his own customers? I don’t think he should try to resell a part that doesn’t work but hey, that’s not up to me. I just want what we had agreed upon. As it stands now, I have most of the kit in my possession(Zach took one of the parts back and never refunded me for it). The kit is in perfect condition minus the normal stuff that happens during installation and removal. And Zach was aware of that when we agreed on the refund. I am willing to repackage the kit professionally and send it out again in order to obtain what is mine.
Company's Final Response
No Final Response

RIPPMODS 01-16-2012 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by pauldana (Post 2793041)
I posted on another forum but have not gotten the responses i was looking for....i will past and copy a few excerpts.

I would like to Supercharge my 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I have been looking all over the internet for who offers kits for our Jeeps.... this is what I have posted on the other forum:

[/B][/I]

We don't know anything about the companies your suggesting but we can tell you our sales are strong and our clients typically will tell you, our kits deliver on their promises.

On that note
  • We've 1000 units sold world wide
  • We have a large dealer support network
  • We use Diablo- Sport reflashing and contrary to popular belief, RIPP was the first to re-flash, we just didn't make any noise about it until we knew it was stable.

On 2007-2010 RIPP kits come with larger primary injectors and a Diablo Predator that's pre-programmed with 2 maps (SC with and without headers)... We also offer a catalog of updated maps as well.

Only the 2011 JK's are piggy-back units.

We have loads of Video on our Youtube account RIPPMODS with lots of combinations of tires, exhaust, headers and so on. Below are the common videos that work well. The second video is an end user just doing a review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOG0_8VtMa4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjxcgPpdsyk&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PxvUzDrvdw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTDbfM4nIV0&feature=fvst Question Welcome
RIPPTECH

NH-JK 01-16-2012 10:53 PM

Ya, most newbs first questions are "What's the coolest,most awesome best 6inch lift they make for Jeep!

This guy is clearly reposting.... Prob a cut and paste from 10 other forums...

OverlandJKU 01-16-2012 11:19 PM

Yep smells like spam...

pauldana 01-18-2012 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti (Post 2794481)
I like that. First post ever from the OP with one of those innocent questions that lead to a sale pitch. Can we say spammer? Its one of those innocent ways people use to throw a little traffic at their product.

ok... i can understand your thought...but,,,, no, I'm not a spammer for anyone... yes I did cut and past my original question/comment on this forum from ONE other jeep forum, ....... The reason? new to the JEEP forums and trying to find the best one.....

Now, if you still believe im a spammer, go to the corvette forums and look up the same avatar name, pauldana, and you will find thousands of post form me....in fact right now im putting together the 2nd annual C3 corvette run in California...and expecting around 80 C# vetts to show.... So, no..... not a spammer at all

Originally Posted by NH-JK (Post 2794484)
Ya, most newbs first questions are "What's the coolest,most awesome best 6inch lift they make for Jeep!

This guy is clearly reposting.... Prob a cut and paste from 10 other forums...

again,,,,, no.... but understandable, especially after RIPP's Post. I hate to be flogged like that.... I got into it with DeWitts radiator over something very similar on the C# corvette forum... and it lasted years. I dont mind having a vender tell me why he/she thinks there unit is better, but i like more equal representation between ALL vendors....

Originally Posted by OverlandJKU (Post 2794495)
Yep smells like spam...

uahhhh...nope... p:-)

Originally Posted by bubba_zenetti (Post 2794497)
:rotflmao2::rotflmao2::rotflmao2:

so.... still would like some honest opinions and open discussion on this topic.

As i plan on purchasing one by this summer..... just got the jeep 12-25:-) but got to put the new TKO600 trans in the vett first.

thx... paul:-)

SergeantChuck 01-18-2012 03:37 PM

I was being honest about 505 performance. The have very limited information on there website. Very generic. The information there has several spelling errors. They have zero information to demonstrate the suggested 240rwh.

Most of the information I found was negative or nobody has a clue about this company. I personally would not feel safe with a purchase from them.

Ripp has a ton of documented information on their site to include owner's posting information on YouTube. Very established company with good reputation.

burbingus 01-18-2012 03:44 PM

Hey Paul,

I'd just recommend that you really do your research first. I've heard that there is some awesome power to gain from the superchargers, but I've also heard lots of headache stories with inadequate performance, mileage, and engine issues post-install. There are a decent number of threads on the forum with information, and I'd try to find some first hand experiences as well. Also, if you do pull the trigger on a supercharger, I'd be sure to plan on getting a full professional tuning done rather than relying solely on aftermarket chip tuners.

Micah

pauldana 01-18-2012 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by SergeantChuck (Post 2797922)
I was being honest about 505 performance. The have very limited information on there website. Very generic. The information there has several spelling errors. They have zero information to demonstrate the suggested 240rwh.

Most of the information I found was negative or nobody has a clue about this company. I personally would not feel safe with a purchase from them.

Ripp has a ton of documented information on their site to include owner's posting information on YouTube. Very established company with good reputation.

i have seen the same thing.... and yes,it does not look professional in any way..... and it does give reason for worry. That being said, the blow off valve used in such a way to get lower rpm boost is intriguing if to say the least, and if true...very desirable.

I was also told by 505 that they have helped ripp with there fuel mgt problems....so????i dont know... just repeating what was told me.

and the roots system by Sprintex.... now that would be something....

O, and one more thing..... good advertising is not always indicative of a good product. pinto, grimlen, vega(yea,i owned one)... frozen pizza.....

pauldana 01-18-2012 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by burbingus (Post 2797936)
Hey Paul,

I'd just recommend that you really do your research first. I've heard that there is some awesome power to gain from the superchargers, but I've also heard lots of headache stories with inadequate performance, mileage, and engine issues post-install. There are a decent number of threads on the forum with information, and I'd try to find some first hand experiences as well. Also, if you do pull the trigger on a supercharger, I'd be sure to plan on getting a full professional tuning done rather than relying solely on aftermarket chip tuners.

Micah

Thank you...i agree, No replacement for good research, thus the reason for this thread.... The beginning of my research. lots of us have already been down this road.... pick the minds of those that preceded me in this endeavor, this is what I would like to do.
Call all the vendors and listen to there sales spill..... you will never ever get anything negative here... but you can gain information from this and move further. I have until June, this is when i will purchase one, and install it. first the TKO for my C3 vett....
As far as the tune, yes.... Cunninghame motor sports here in SoCal does my C5 vette tunes..... I do all the C3 tunes myself,no computer:-)

tpm152 01-18-2012 04:21 PM

In the years that I have been on this forum (and with my extensive automotive engineering background) as far as I'm concerned there are only two options I would even consider to supercharge my JK.

Either the Avenger (twin-screw supercharger) kit or the RIPP kit. You can google Avenger superchargers if you want info on it.

There are strengths and weaknesses of both and if I had to commit to buying a supercharger for my JK right now, I honestly would need to drive a JK with both to decide between the two.

RIPP's kit has the strength that it can be reversed very easily, installs under the stock hood with no cutting, and has excellent technical support (even though the forum) as well as a strong representation in this forum (so any problems that could come up more than likely already have been encountered by at least 1 other forum member). The downfall to the RIPP kit is that the torque is not significantly increased over stock until 2200+ RPM.

Avenger's kit has the strength that the torque comes on at extremely low RPM (after talking with the owner of Avenger he said that their kit offers 50% torque boost as low as 1200 RPM). The main down side to the Avenger kit is that you have to cut the stock hood to fit it and it is a little more invasive to install.

If you find yourself commonly hitting engine speeds over 2500 RPMs, I would honestly recommend the RIPP kit to you all things considered.

My reservations of getting a RIPP kit for my JK is that I rarely hit engine speeds over 2000 RPMs but I would also love to have more torque at my disposal at those low RPMs (hence the appeal of the Avenger kit). Thankfully though I'm still saving up for a house, so I won't obsess over it too much until I can afford to spend the money on it :D

Hope this helps! :beer:

pauldana 01-18-2012 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by tpm152 (Post 2798023)
In the years that I have been on this forum (and with my extensive automotive engineering background) as far as I'm concerned there are only two options I would even consider to supercharge my JK.

Either the Avenger (twin-screw supercharger) kit or the RIPP kit. You can google Avenger superchargers if you want info on it.

There are strengths and weaknesses of both and if I had to commit to buying a supercharger for my JK right now, I honestly would need to drive a JK with both to decide between the two.

RIPP's kit has the strength that it can be reversed very easily, installs under the stock hood with no cutting, and has excellent technical support (even though the forum) as well as a strong representation in this forum (so any problems that could come up more than likely already have been encountered by at least 1 other forum member). The downfall to the RIPP kit is that the torque is not significantly increased over stock until 2200+ RPM.

Avenger's kit has the strength that the torque comes on at extremely low RPM (after talking with the owner of Avenger he said that their kit offers 50% torque boost as low as 1200 RPM). The main down side to the Avenger kit is that you have to cut the stock hood to fit it and it is a little more invasive to install.

If you find yourself commonly hitting engine speeds over 2500 RPMs, I would honestly recommend the RIPP kit to you all things considered.

My reservations of getting a RIPP kit for my JK is that I rarely hit engine speeds over 2000 RPMs but I would also love to have more torque at my disposal at those low RPMs (hence the appeal of the Avenger kit). Thankfully though I'm still saving up for a house, so I won't obsess over it too much until I can afford to spend the money on it :D

Hope this helps! :beer:

yes thank you very much for your input. I have added the Avenger Super charger to the list on post 1. it would be nice to here from others with superchargers, all 4 or more if there is. I understand that many have purchased the ripp unit, and are happy with it. But if i can find better for yet cheeper.... cool. My 2 major concerns with the ripp is A. it seems to be at least $1000 over priced when compared with the others,and B. The higher RPM it comes in at.... and for the avenger its the hood cut,,,, but a scoop would look kind of cool:-)

more input anyone..... and yes, i am sure ripp is following the thread, this being said, i welcome your input, AS LONGE AS its not advertising mombo... like 4 billion big macs sold.... just want the facts, thank you.

TPM152.... nice write, thx

Dirty Dog 01-18-2012 07:03 PM

I've got an Avenger on my 07. I have 8 pounds of boost with almost 50% more horsepower. It took awhile to get it right but now that its "done" it runs beautifully. I am now passing the 18 wheelers going up the mountain instead of them passing me. I also had to cut a hole ( My wife actually did it. She didn't trust me!!!!) in the hood but with the full size scoop it get alot of attention driving down the road. People often ask is that for show or something else. So i just pop the hood. Along with the charger I have an on board air system that uses a york compressor. Questions??????

SergeantChuck 01-18-2012 07:05 PM

Where are you getting your price for the Ripp? You stated in you first post the 505 performance was $4500. The Ripp can be had for $4799. There are a couple places selling it for that price. Just want you to make you aware the spread is not a $1000.

WhosUrBuddiee 01-18-2012 07:15 PM

I have personally owned a twin turbo car, 4 supercharged cars, and 3 cars with nitrous. I have experimented with all types of forced inductions. For the Jeep, really the Avenger set up is the superior leader. It develops the most amount of low end torque and really that is all that matters.

pauldana 01-18-2012 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog (Post 2798491)
I've got an Avenger on my 07. I have 8 pounds of boost with almost 50% more horsepower. It took awhile to get it right but now that its "done" it runs beautifully. I am now passing the 18 wheelers going up the mountain instead of them passing me. I also had to cut a hole ( My wife actually did it. She didn't trust me!!!!) in the hood but with the full size scoop it get alot of attention driving down the road. People often ask is that for show or something else. So i just pop the hood. Along with the charger I have an on board air system that uses a york compressor. Questions??????

questions????...YES!...lol.... pictures please:thumbsup::thumbsup:... when does your boost come in? did you run a dyno? Cost$$? intercooler?

Originally Posted by SergeantChuck (Post 2798497)
Where are you getting your price for the Ripp? You stated in you first post the 505 performance was $4500. The Ripp can be had for $4799. There are a couple places selling it for that price. Just want you to make you aware the spread is not a $1000.

the price is including the intercooler...there's is your $1000....

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee (Post 2798513)
I have personally owned a twin turbo car, 4 supercharged cars, and 3 cars with nitrous. I have experimented with all types of forced inductions. For the Jeep, really the Avenger set up is the superior leader. It develops the most amount of low end torque and really that is all that matters.

very good personal info.... thank you, this is worth a 1000 advertisements.... do you know cost? intercooler?

WhosUrBuddiee 01-18-2012 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by pauldana (Post 2798536)

very good personal info.... thank you, this is worth a 1000 advertisements.... do you know cost? intercooler?

The Avenger kit runs 4300 and includes the only kit with a water to air intercooler. Really I would never consider ever installing anything but a roots style supercharger (other than hemi swap of course).

SergeantChuck 01-19-2012 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by pauldana (Post 2798536)
the price is including the intercooler...there's is your $1000....

The $4799 I quoted does include the intercooler. Just so we are clear. The Avenger as apposed to 505 Performance has a large amount of info on their site. Looks like a good system if you don't mind cutting on your hood.

Thought about this as I drove into work and have a question. Bare with me because I'm trying to learn too. Obviously I have a Ripp SC and I am very satisfied with it.

Thinking about statments made earlier and have went to Avengers website and I have a couple questions for those of you that wrote that really know this subject.

The Avenger SC states that you start seeing 50% boost at 1200rpms but then it looks like the horse power and torque peak and almost flat line throughout the entire rpm range. Did I view the dyno on their site wrong. Unfortunately thier dyno charge starts at 3500rpm so you can't see it starting in the 1200s. The max hp being 164rwh.

The Ripp SC starts coming in around 1300rpms with 180lbs of torque. At around 2000rpm we are already into the 160rwh area and climb to 240-260rwh as we climb to 4300rpm.

I know the statement was made earlier about running at 2000rpms. I can only speak for my JK but I am hovering at 2K all the time. I would say a large majority of guys are runnning either 5.13 or 5.38 gears with 35s. Just cruizing 40mph in the city I'm at 1900rpm. As soon as I hit the pedal I can already feel my JK pulling hard and yes I take her up to 5000rpms racing around town from stop light to stop light. I enjoy getting on her now. So I really like the fact I have that 240-260rwh.

Trying to learn so maybe someone can point out what I'm missing.

WhosUrBuddiee 01-19-2012 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by SergeantChuck (Post 2798859)
The $4799 I quoted does include the intercooler. Just so we are clear. The Avenger as apposed to 505 Performance has a large amount of info on their site. Looks like a good system if you don't mind cutting on your hood.

Thought about this as I drove into work and have a question. Bare with me because I'm trying to learn too. Obviously I have a Ripp SC and I am very satisfied with it.

Thinking about statments made earlier and have went to Avengers website and I have a couple questions for those of you that wrote that really know this subject.

The Avenger SC states that you start seeing 50% boost at 1200rpms but then it looks like the horse power and torque peak and almost flat line throughout the entire rpm range. Did I view the dyno on their site wrong. Unfortunately thier dyno charge starts at 3500rpm so you can't see it starting in the 1200s. The max hp being 164rwh.

The Ripp SC starts coming in around 1300rpms with 180lbs of torque. At around 2000rpm we are already into the 160rwh area and climb to 240-260rwh as we climb to 4300rpm.

I know the statement was made earlier about running at 2000rpms. I can only speak for my JK but I am hovering at 2K all the time. I would say a large majority of guys are runnning either 5.13 or 5.38 gears with 35s. Just cruizing 40mph in the city I'm at 1900rpm. As soon as I hit the pedal I can already feel my JK pulling hard and yes I take her up to 5000rpms racing around town from stop light to stop light. I enjoy getting on her now. So I really like the fact I have that 240-260rwh.

Trying to learn so maybe someone can point out what I'm missing.

First, HP doesnt mean shit. Really it is just a pretty number people like to throw around. Torque is all that really matters. There is a big difference in the way the Avenger and Ripp develop their power.

Both Ripp and 505 use centrifugal superchargers that develop boost by imparting motion into the air. When the air meets a resistance to this motion, the slowing of the air turns the kinetic energy into pressure energy. For that reason, the boost and airflow through a turbine supercharger are very much interdependent on the characteristics of the engine it is feeding. But there is a downside: its speed sensitivity. As the turbine spins, the boost goes up with the square of the rpm. This means at low speed minimal boost, and at high speed possibly too much boost. So this style develops almost no power low end but quite a bit in the high RPM range. This is the ideal choice for high speed cars (I have had a Vortech blower and Procharger on past cars). But this is almost pointless for Jeeps.

The Avenger is a roots style supercharger, also known as a positive displacement supercharger. Really nothing more than an air pump driven directly from the crank, injecting air it has NOT compressed. It delivers linearly increasing boost as rpm increases. The big difference is that positive displacement superchargers pump a fixed amount of air for every revolution of the internal lobes. This means they are developing power even when a vehical is at idle. Positive displacement blowers are the ideal choice for low end torque. But they are very limited in the high end, which is why alot of high performance cars do not like this style.

Also almost all car companies use roots style blowers as a factory blower. Becasuse more power developed lower in the band causes less strain on the engine. So a motor will have a much longer life with the Avenger kit vs the Ripp kit. Also there is no risk of boost creep, that can easily destroy an engine.

Ideally the best for the JK would be a twin screw supercharger. They will develop full boost by 2000 RPM and maintian it constant through the whole RPM range. But they are more expensive and no companies have released any yet. I did have a twin screw blower on one of my cars and can attest to how amazing they are.

tpm152 01-19-2012 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog (Post 2798491)

Hey Dirty Dog, one thing that I have been really curious to ask someone with an Avenger set-up that is dialed in, is what is your approximate before and after MPG? I just ask because I would love to get the Avenger set-up in the future, but with my JK being a DD, if my MPG takes a 2 - 3 mpg hit, I don't know if it would be worth it (especially considering you generally need to run premium with superchargers to avoid knock).

From what I have read the RIPP kit's mpg change really depends on the set-up and the way you drive it. If you really use the new-found power, you lose a few mpg, but if geared properly and driven conservatively it seems like its possible to gain a few mpg by not needing to downshift as often.

:beer:

SergeantChuck 01-19-2012 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee (Post 2798956)
First, HP doesnt mean shit. Really it is just a pretty number people like to throw around. Torque is all that really matters. There is a big difference in the way the Avenger and Ripp develop their power.

Both Ripp and 505 use centrifugal superchargers that develop boost by imparting motion into the air. When the air meets a resistance to this motion, the slowing of the air turns the kinetic energy into pressure energy. For that reason, the boost and airflow through a turbine supercharger are very much interdependent on the characteristics of the engine it is feeding. But there is a downside: its speed sensitivity. As the turbine spins, the boost goes up with the square of the rpm. This means at low speed minimal boost, and at high speed possibly too much boost. So this style develops almost no power low end but quite a bit in the high RPM range. This is the ideal choice for high speed cars (I have had a Vortech blower and Procharger on past cars). But this is almost pointless for Jeeps.

The Avenger is a roots style supercharger, also known as a positive displacement supercharger. Really nothing more than an air pump driven directly from the crank, injecting air it has NOT compressed. It delivers linearly increasing boost as rpm increases. The big difference is that positive displacement superchargers pump a fixed amount of air for every revolution of the internal lobes. This means they are developing power even when a vehical is at idle. Positive displacement blowers are the ideal choice for low end torque. But they are very limited in the high end, which is why alot of high performance cars do not like this style.

Also almost all car companies use roots style blowers as a factory blower. Becasuse more power developed lower in the band causes less strain on the engine. So a motor will have a much longer life with the Avenger kit vs the Ripp kit. Also there is no risk of boost creep, that can easily destroy an engine.

Ideally the best for the JK would be a twin screw supercharger. They will develop full boost by 2000 RPM and maintian it constant through the whole RPM range. But they are more expensive and no companies have released any yet. I did have a twin screw blower on one of my cars and can attest to how amazing they are.

Thanks for breaking that down for me. Having installed the Ripp SC and not being an mechanic of any sort how much more difficult would it be to install this roots type system. After loooking at the kits supplied by Avenger it does not look to have to many parts. I understand you would be removing the intake and replacing it with thier system. What would make it any more difficult that my install?

And if it is not much more difficult, I am curious why more people aren't buying these and you do not hear much about them? This seems like a system that guys crawling rocks at low rpms would want to use.

WhosUrBuddiee 01-19-2012 05:13 AM

It is all about advertisement. Ripp is bigger and advertises more...also having a presense on the forums helps quite a bit too. Avenger has been in the game awhile though and claim to have sold over 100 kits. So they are out there. Most of the crazy rock crawlers dont bother with FI at all and go straight to HEMI swaps.

Installing a roots blower is very simple. I installed a roots blower myself on my G35 and it took me about 6 hrs with just basic tools in my driveway. They actually have their install instructions online too. http://www.avengersuperchargers.com/...ns_F_email.pdf But it would be an easier install than you already did with the Ripp.

sneck 01-19-2012 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee (Post 2799044)
It is all about advertisement. Ripp is bigger and advertises more...also having a presense on the forums helps quite a bit too. Avenger has been in the game awhile though and claim to have sold over 100 kits. So they are out there. Most of the crazy rock crawlers dont bother with FI at all and go straight to HEMI swaps.

Installing a roots blower is very simple. I installed a roots blower myself on my G35 and it took me about 6 hrs with just basic tools in my driveway. They actually have their install instructions online too. http://www.avengersuperchargers.com/...ns_F_email.pdf But it would be an easier install than you already did with the Ripp.

how do supercharger kits deal with water? is it pretty much a given than superchargers and snorkels require custom work and generally dont work well together?

WhosUrBuddiee 01-19-2012 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by sneck (Post 2799397)
how do supercharger kits deal with water? is it pretty much a given than superchargers and snorkels require custom work and generally dont work well together?

Very similar to how a water cooled system in a computer work, just on a larger scale. Traditional intercoolers like the one RIPP uses are air to air transfer of heat. The hot intake air winds through a large number of passages while cooler outside air passes through the intercooler, transfering some of the heat away. This works better the faster you are driving.

Water to air intercoolers work in a similar manner excep the hot intake air passes through a chamber filled with cool circulating liquid (usually a water/glycol mixture). This drops the temperature of the air entering the engine considerably more. The colder the air, the more dense it is, which means more can be forced into the engine, giving you more power.

Also it goes back to speed. Traditional air to air only work if you are traveling at higher rates of speed. For any type of crawling or off roading, they are pretty much useless. Where a air to water intercooler work even at very low rates of speed.

WhosUrBuddiee 01-19-2012 09:27 AM

Also compressing air takes energy which imparts heat into the air. To compress 1 lb of air by 8 psi would add 71 degrees of heat into that air. Then you also have engine compartment soak heat added, as well as heat added from the compressor itself. On average it works out to be about 150-200 degreess of heat added above ambient temperature, which is why intercoolers are required. This mean if it is 100 degrees outsite, the air going into your engine could be 250-300 degrees. The excessive heat, if not removed, can causes detonation in an engine. Detonation occurs when the gas ignites prior to the spark. It can also be caused by impropper timing or improper a/f ratios.

Many people do not like air/water intercoolers because it requires adding an additional pump to the system and tank for the water/glycol storage. Added parts to anythign mean more stuff that can go wrong. Air/air requires no mechanical means to operate and have nothing that can go wrong. It is always the ideal choice for most cars. But for low speed applications like crawling, will do almost nothing. If you do mainly all highway driving, then air/air is the cheaper and better choice.

My last car I built had an air/water and difference was very noticable in engine temps. This was the Stillen supercharger I had on my G37 (it was a centrifigual blower like Ripp). It had an air/water intercooler built into the intake manifold.

http://wot.motortrend.com/files/2010...68-623x415.jpg

http://blog.stillen.com/wp-content/g...angle2_450.jpg

pauldana 01-19-2012 08:53 PM

Wow..... a lot of good input.... thank you...

im sure this goes without saying.... but any and all of these void our warranty, correct???

if so that gives the ripp and 505 a up.....

but it seems as though the roots are the best for our application....

i am very interested in the Sprintex also if it does not pop up out of the hood.... but again...do like the scoop:thumbsup::thumbsup:

pauldana 01-19-2012 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by pauldana (Post 2800940)

im sure this goes without saying.... but any and all of these void our warranty, correct???

i am very interested in the Sprintex also if it does not pop up out of the hood.... but again...do like the scoop:thumbsup::thumbsup:

btw.....HP=TQ*RPM/5252........ that said hp is gained through higher rpm's..... and we do want the low rpm tq...

WhosUrBuddiee 01-20-2012 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by pauldana (Post 2800940)

Pretty much anything you ever do will void your warranty. Even getting MOPAR equipment installed by the dealer can void it. It really all depends on the dealer you go to and how modification friendly they are. I have built 12 high hp cars and it has always been a crapshoot with the dealers on which ones will help me and which ones will not. But thankfully most kits can be uninstalled in about 6 hours if you need to take it back to stock and take it to the dealer.

Both RIPP and Avenger both have 1 year limited warranties. Really for a Jeep a roots style blower is definatly the best choice. I would only ever install a RIPP if it will be a pavement princess. They will help you very little off road.

Has Sprintex ever released the JK supercharger? I know they had a prototype at SEMA but I havent heard of a full release. The Sprintex uses a twin screw, so you will have 100% boost by 2000 RPM. The Sprintex would be by far the best blower for a JK. It will be the best low end torque, the easiest install, the safest for a stock engine, and the cheapest. (Sprintex said at SEMA their kit will cost under 4k). But I have no idea when they will ever come out. Also Sprintex claims their new JK kit can be installed by one person in about 4 hours.

The Avenger would be my second choice. It is also slightly cheaper than Ripp. And Ripp would be my last choice. I really feel you are paying more for the name than the blower.

WhosUrBuddiee 01-20-2012 04:47 AM

Here is a picture of the Sprintex. It is a very compact easy install and does not require cutting the hood like the Avenger (though I love the look of it). But I have not ever heard of a release date for it.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/imaging-.../jpeg/BG/async

SergeantChuck 01-20-2012 06:41 AM

I read somewhere that the company is from Australia and because the emission standards are different down there the flash won't work on jeeps made for the USA . They mentioned being told that they are workin on it and should be ready for sales in the USA this spring. That was a post from someone who saw it at SEMA and spoke with the Reps.

pauldana 01-20-2012 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee (Post 2801208)
1. Pretty much anything you ever do will void your warranty. Even getting MOPAR equipment installed by the dealer can void it. It really all depends on the dealer you go to and how modification friendly they are. I have built 12 high hp cars and it has always been a crapshoot with the dealers on which ones will help me and which ones will not. But thankfully most kits can be uninstalled in about 6 hours if you need to take it back to stock and take it to the dealer.

Both RIPP and Avenger both have 1 year limited warranties.

2. Really for a Jeep a roots style blower is definatly the best choice. I would only ever install a RIPP if it will be a pavement princess. They will help you very little off road.

Has Sprintex ever released the JK supercharger? I know they had a prototype at SEMA but I havent heard of a full release. The Sprintex uses a twin screw, so you will have 100% boost by 2000 RPM.
3. The Sprintex would be by far the best blower for a JK. It will be the best low end torque, the easiest install, the safest for a stock engine, and the cheapest. (Sprintex said at SEMA their kit will cost under 4k). But I have no idea when they will ever come out. Also Sprintex claims their new JK kit can be installed by one person in about 4 hours.

The Avenger would be my second choice. It is also slightly cheaper than Ripp. And Ripp would be my last choice. I really feel you are paying more for the name than the blower.

1. thats what i thought.... off comes the blower for svc.....
2. i agree totally
3. yup.... unless i see or read something to the contrary.... looks as if it is going to be the Sprintex for me....

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee (Post 2801223)
Here is a picture of the Sprintex. It is a very compact easy install and does not require cutting the hood like the Avenger (though I love the look of it). But I have not ever heard of a release date for it.

Nice!!!!! CLEAN!!!!!!! well done!!!!! yea... thats the one for me i think....ripps got some heavy competition...

Originally Posted by SergeantChuck (Post 2801434)
I read somewhere that the company is from Australia and because the emission standards are different down there the flash won't work on jeeps made for the USA . They mentioned being told that they are workin on it and should be ready for sales in the USA this spring. That was a post from someone who saw it at SEMA and spoke with the Reps.

spring/summer is when i want to get it and install it... time frame is perfect.... i am going to call them and place my advanced order i think...

Bucko 01-20-2012 07:28 AM

I've worked in the aftermarket industry and for a company like RIPP to be as open with their dyno results as they are is pretty impressive. Not a lot of companies will do that. I like how straight forward they are! I should put my money where my mouth is right?

pauldana 01-20-2012 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko (Post 2801522)
I've worked in the aftermarket industry and for a company like RIPP to be as open with their dyno results as they are is pretty impressive. Not a lot of companies will do that. I like how straight forward they are! I should put my money where my mouth is right?

I agree, and believe the ripp to be a good product....

But, that being said.... A roots type blower is better for lower rpm's it seems

The Sprintex is a roots style blower... and also seems to be $1000 cheeper....

so... unless someone has a reason the ripp is better... it will be the Sprintex I will order...

Hey... may be the first on the forum to have one!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

RIPPMODS 01-20-2012 07:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee (Post 2799044)

Thank you for bringing your points to the table, we enjoy seeing members discuss our product verse competitors... but please let us interject here a second... regarding your argument from a power and application perspective and finally marketing. We'd like you to first keep in mind RIPP has been in the automotive performance industry for 20years and we extensive knowledge of most, if not all forced induction compressors. We chose to go Centrifugal and specifically Vortech based on our experiences thereof... We base our choice on quality (Made in the USA), reliability and finally performance and not price, others may be cheaper but we air on the side of quality. Keep in mind that Jeepers are not like "regular" tuner types - Jeepers drive 2000 miles from home to go 100miles into the middle of nowhere for fun. Most other aftermarket FI groups hang around the city and the track ,i.e. close to towing.

1000+ KITS LATER... and a world-wide dealer base... we'd like to point out the following;
  • First of all we smash - SMASH - the Avenger supercharger with power HP and Trq... the Averger's Peak trq is still lower than ours no matter where is the RPM band you visit it. Please see video below.
  • The roots uses 35crank Hp to deliver 60rear wheel HP whereas our Vortech only needs 7 crank to produce 100+ rear wheel...
  • With the roots you have to cut the hood and the firewall, install supplemental pumps and finally your air temp sensor is set up before the boost happens so its not factored into the equation at all.
  • Our clients have a multitude of videos and experiences showing the install is actually way easier than thye originally thought and we have a full staff on hand to help you should you get stuck.
  • Good luck with tuning and tech support.

RIPP Video of a 2008 Auto JK on 37's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOG0_8VtMa4 Avenger Video of a 2008 on 32's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLqbKGtTwxo Avenger not showing HP - but later ending up at 143 Peak hp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd__ec1XOH4 Then THIS CLIENT REMOVED THE Avenger and installed the RIPP kit, which we did at Easter Jeep Safari during the show... :yup: and he wheeled it after we were done.

Attachment 267396

This thing made over 20 more hp than the Avenger did on this Jeep.
Avenger dyno runs had 41x13.5" Radial Iroks at 40psi and D44.
Ripp dyno runs are with 42x15" Bias Ply Rockers at 40psi and 1-ton axles.

Same dyno, same elevation, same gear ratio, same tuner.

Avenger with 41x13.5 of D44's
Attachment 267390

RIPP with 42x15 on 1Ton Axles - still producing more HP and Trq right from the bottom...
Attachment 267397

Secondly, we do not advertise anywhere - Our clients do it for us - We are on forums to help support our clients and bring to market new ideas. So its true we are here, and we have proven to take good or bad to make our products better. (Shame on them). We'd also like to point out that Avenger was first to market with their kit while we took our time and streamlined ours...Eventually setting the bar and expectations, which we take seriously. Not one client has ever been just a number for us and many will tell you that we never leave their side even years or miles down the line, so do not mix us up with large companies pawning stuff on the internet... because we're not! Lastly and to your point - Even if they don't "advertise" as much as we "do", we assume some of their "clients" might own a "PC" and go on the thing they call the "internet" and possibly brag to people about it (have you seen the dozens of videos people have made about how happy they are with their Avenger kits?) - no??? - Maybe, just maybe our (Made in the USA kit) just delivers on its promises and comes through with total transparency as advertised and clients totally recommend it whole heartily? So when your making a $5000.00+ on a power adder, it'll be your call and we'll have no choice but to respect it either way - but we want you to know we welcome the opportunity to further prove our kits viability.

Laslty - the (NOT MADE IN USA:thinking:) Sprintex uses a small (very small) compressor, which still needs a lot of crank HP and will not deliver anywhere near our program power - They are using off the shelf piggy backs on all their kits which as we've proven will be less powerful over all - AND - Like the Hemi guys we will welcome that dyno challenge as soon as its available :wink: Putting aside the fact that we outsell them in their own country... (just saying):rock:

RIPPTECH
on behalf of the entire staff...

WhosUrBuddiee 01-20-2012 10:17 AM

I am glad you see you came in and value your input alot. I actually love centrifugal chargers. My first first build was with a roots style and ended up also replacing it with a vortech setup. Since then I have installed 4 other centrifugal blowers and 4 turbos on all my cars. But it was obvious during my swap, of the loss of my low end torque. My Jeep is the only time I have ever considered going back to a roots/twin screw blower.

Centrifugal will always produce more hp/tq due to less parasitic losses, but it is all a matter of where. Install is much easier now with the V3 blowers that dont require an oil tap. Like I said before I strongly belive RIPP would be the best choice for a Jeep maily driven on asphalt at higher RPM. Even in your own dyno, it is clear the Avenger is producing more hp/tq in the low end of the bands. Eventhough you dyno only starts at 3200 rpm, the difference would be even grater around 2000 rpm. Really offroading (unless it is mudding) most people are not going above 4000 rpm. I have never seen a dyno from Sprintex but twin screw blowers are much more efficient than a roots blower and start developing power much earlier on. The divide between a twin screw and centrifugal is even bigger.

Also while you are correct a roots style blower has an volumetric efficiency of about 30-40%, you were slightly generous on the vortech blower. Typically a V3 vortech si trim has volumetric efficiency of about 65-72%. A twin screw has always been the most efficent blowers possible with volumetric efficiency of about 70-85%.

This has been a long standing debate with the Mustang guys. There is a huge divide between the vortech blowers and wipple (twin screw) blowers. The results there are more clear. As you can see Vortech makes alot more power up top and Wipple dominates down low.

Twin Screw
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z.../twinscrew.jpg

Vortech
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...entrifugal.jpg

B 1000 01-20-2012 10:24 AM

Here's a thought;

Other than RIPP, does anyone else make a supercharger for the 2011 JK?

Bucko 01-20-2012 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by B 1000 (Post 2801865)
Here's a thought;

Other than RIPP, does anyone else make a supercharger for the 2011 JK?

Thats what i am thinking...

I know Vortech and they are tried and true. I would trust my engine to them.

B 1000 01-20-2012 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko (Post 2801871)
Thats what i am thinking...

I know Vortech and they are tried and true. I would trust my engine to them.

Right? I don't see anything on Avenger or 505 about a kit for 2011. And the Sprintex site doesn't even the Jeep JK at all. So at this point, my money will go to RIPP for my 2011. But since that may be a few months out, looks like I have to keep my eye on Sprintex.

JAFHR 01-20-2012 11:08 AM

Keep your eye that is closed towards Sprintex:clap::rotflmao2::rotflmao2:

Don't waste your time or money, they don't have any for the JK. Go drive a Ripps Charged jeep. Come up to Oregon, I'll let you drive mine.:rock:

WhosUrBuddiee 01-20-2012 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by JAFHR (Post 2801950)
Keep your eye that is closed towards Sprintex:clap::rotflmao2::rotflmao2:

Don't waste your time or money, they don't have any for the JK. Go drive a Ripps Charged jeep. Come up to Oregon, I'll let you drive mine.:rock:

I have no idea what that first sentace even means.

But...