Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best top bikini top flapping noise

Old 03-15-2007, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best top bikini top flapping noise

I installed the best top bikini top and at about 50 miles an hour and faster, the top starts making a loud popping and flapping sound againts the top of the bar where the speakers are located. Do they make a bar to go across to hold the top away from the bar, or does anyone have any ideas to help stop the flopping noise. I stuck a small pillow under the top, but it does not look good.
Scott
Old 03-15-2007, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

I returned mine...but what you can do is buy a foam pool noodle cut it down and roll it up under/over the bar (between the top & Bar) that will stop your flapping. You can use a rolled up towel too, but still will vibrate like a drum. The mesh top is cool though.

I returned my duster too as by installing it, it made dents along both sides of the track line on the JK. Bestop has been real good so far as it will be costing them close to $2000 to fix my Jeep from the duster that damaged it. Waiting to hear from them soon.

Good Luck with your top and watch out for those Dusters.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

There is actually a TSB about the factory soft top slapping against the sound bar with the windows down. May have the dealer check it. I think they install foam like Jeepers mentioned. Worth a shot anyway since it would be a free fix if it works/helps.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Get the safari top, I have it on my 2-dr and the only sound is at 80 mph and thats only if the rear strap works itself loose.

Also note that it took me a week to get the rear strap to stay tight, I ended up looping each side around the rear set belt braket and adding a cam lock type buckle to lock the strap tight.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepers

I returned my duster too as by installing it, it made dents along both sides of the track line on the JK. Bestop has been real good so far as it will be costing them close to $2000 to fix my Jeep from the duster that damaged it. Waiting to hear from them soon.

can you expound on this as I just received my duster/windjammer/safari top set and don't want to make the same mistake. What exactly happened and can anything be done to prevent it?

I don't think Pignia had any problems with his. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I have an email in to Bestop to see if they have a solution. If not I will possibly return and get the mesh one.
Scott
Old 03-16-2007, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jeepers
I returned mine...but what you can do is buy a foam pool noodle cut it down and roll it up under/over the bar (between the top & Bar) that will stop your flapping. You can use a rolled up towel too, but still will vibrate like a drum. The mesh top is cool though.

What's with "dents along both sides of the track line"? What exactly does that mean and how did that happen?

glwood
Old 03-16-2007, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by smack2020
I installed the best top bikini top and at about 50 miles an hour and faster, the top starts making a loud popping and flapping sound againts the top of the bar where the speakers are located. Do they make a bar to go across to hold the top away from the bar, or does anyone have any ideas to help stop the flopping noise. I stuck a small pillow under the top, but it does not look good.
Scott
I have a 4 dr. and had the same issue with the safari top.

I folded a towel lengthwise along the speaker bar and that
worked well as a temporary fix. I think a custom cut
length of 1/2 or 3/4 inch foam will take care of it. The top shouldn't look too "raised" this way.
And you can remove it with the top when you're done.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

I doubt your really going to get a good fix, its a safari or bikini top, its going to make noise.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

dont mind a little noise, but it was like someone beeting a drum next to your ear. I am going to get some 1/2 to 1 inch foam door insulation and stick to the speaker bar plastic. I will let you know if it works.

Quick Reply: best top bikini top flapping noise