Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best way to strip bumper at home for bedlining?

Old 05-07-2014, 10:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best way to strip bumper at home for bedlining?

Hello everyone,

I am going to be repainting my bumper once it warms up with Monstaliner. Problem is that my bumper looks like a WW2 relic after winter... apparently salt is not an issue the Australian's have to contend with.

What would be the best way to strip all the paint and rust off of this thing? I have an angle grinder and a palm sander at home, obviously wouldn't use the cutting disk for it... but one of those rust removing sponge looking ones? Not sure if those are for angle grinders or for another type of grinder.

Here are a couple photos of what it looks like...

Old 05-07-2014, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would either chemically remove it or take to a place that has a sand blaster and it will be done in 10 minutes.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sandblasting works the best and is relatively inexpensive.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Biggy
Sandblasting works the best and is relatively inexpensive.
yeah... I don't know about sandblasting, had one place quote me about 300 bucks for it when I first inquired about linex'ing the thing when I first bought the bumper.

Then I also am stuck without a bumper for a couple days while get blast away no?
Old 05-07-2014, 11:20 AM
JK Freak

I had my bumper sandblasted and powder coated for $200. I am sure you could find someone in Calgary that will do it for a decent price but you might have to look around.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:21 PM
JK Freak

Flap wheel sanding disk in your angle grinder for the most part. Then a wire wheel for the hard to get to parts. Then several coats of a rust converter like POR-15 or a Rusty Metal primer then top coat with bed liner.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vladimer

yeah... I don't know about sandblasting, had one place quote me about 300 bucks for it when I first inquired about linex'ing the thing when I first bought the bumper.

Then I also am stuck without a bumper for a couple days while get blast away no?
Wow I had a place charge me 75 bucks to sandblast my front bumper. I then primed 3 coats and 3 coats of bed liner. It's been holding up well for 2 Canadian winters.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Vladimer

Sand blasting will not take more than a day.

Look for a powder coating shop they will usually have sand blasters and you could get a quote for powder coating while you are at it.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Aircraft stripper!
Old 05-07-2014, 04:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Aarggg. I have the ARB stubby and I hope it doesn't end up looking like that! I'm in Northern BC.

Quick Reply: Best way to strip bumper at home for bedlining?