Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

bestop safari bikini question.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bestop safari bikini question.

im thinking of buying a mesh safari bikini for the summer but first i want to know about the noise if it's very noisy or not so much. any body out there have one?
thanks!!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the mopar safari top and love it. It's not the mesh, but I wouldn't consider it "noisy". One thing you may want to look at it is how it attaches on - the mopar safari top clips right on - I know some of the other brands you have to buy attachment pieces. FWIW.

Make sure you keep in mind a rain plan with the safari top. Only problems I run into is safari top + no doors + slow moving commute + rain = me wet.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 PM
JK Newbie

Hahaha!! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

pretty much all of your bikini tops / tonno covers flap. skid row makes the "top prop" and the "tonno prop" to keep them from flapping. while they give a mild deformed look to your top.. they indeed do work.. i should know.. i have both.

now.. if you dont plan on running the entire bikini, windjammer, tonno set up.. id suggest going with a bikini that doesnt require the windshield channel or door surrounds to save yourself money.. and then buy an "emergency top" from quadratec for a hundred bucks just in case of rain.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running the Bestop bikini top and no doors since February. The top made noise slapping against the speaker box/ sound bar over my head. I rolled up a towel and stuffed it over the speaker box. You don't see the towel at all and it keeps the top from making noise.
Unintended benefit, I have a towel with me everywhere I go.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HillCountry_Cowboy
I've been running the Bestop bikini top and no doors since February. The top made noise slapping against the speaker box/ sound bar over my head. I rolled up a towel and stuffed it over the speaker box. You don't see the towel at all and it keeps the top from making noise.
Be careful doing this.. I did the same thing at fist.. eventually the towel will stretch that back part of the bikini out and the towel will come lose... especially at high way speends.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HillCountry_Cowboy
I had the problem, what i did was buy some wide strips of velcro and placed them on top of the speaker bar hooked together and the top will stick to it, and when its in the sun it really bonds together good, it stops the flaping noise, and it can't be seen, cheap fix.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by will469
I had the problem, what i did was buy some wide strips of velcro and placed them on top of the speaker bar hooked together and the top will stick to it, and when its in the sun it really bonds together good, it stops the flaping noise, and it can't be seen, cheap fix.
funny.. i did this too.. except when i left my jeep out in the sun for long periods of time and it would melt the sticky stuff/glue on the back and i was back to square one.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I shoved a piece of foam over the sound bar for the same purpose. It did the trick but over time it would walk forward until it dropped out.
Guess the answer our topic poster is looking for: yup, you can expect noise. Oh wait, don't want to completely mislead, mine is a bestop safari but not the mesh.

Quick Reply: bestop safari bikini question.