JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   BFG KM2 vs GoodYear MTR (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/bfg-km2-vs-goodyear-mtr-287767/)

Matthewd5 10-09-2013 12:35 PM

I'm super happy with my 33" duratracs

They are equally good both on and off road

I'm adding lockers and regearing this winter and going to 35's, torn between 315 duratracs or the mtr's with Kevlar

Matthew

Asinine 10-11-2013 08:59 AM

I have 32" KM/2s on my JKUR and 35" MT/Rs on my Dodge RAM, and they feel very similar. Haven't had any issues with balancing and noise is the same. On the highway, the KM/2s ride a bit softer, however they wander a bit more. Both grip very well in dirt and rocks, though I prefer the KM/2s on the trail because they're softer. The MT/Rs are OK in the snow, definitely do better in deep than on hard pack because they aren't siped; haven't tried the KM/2s in snow yet. The MT/Rs withstand a lot :knockonwood:, haven't had a puncture or tear and I've given them moderate abuse.

I've got to make a similar decision after I lift my JK. Probably going to stick with KM/2s because I prefer the softer ride on and off the highway.

And as with all straight axle vehicles, rotate your tires at every oil change and you'll reduce wear issues.

Nwapache 10-12-2013 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Asinine (Post 3702234)
I have 32" KM/2s on my JKUR and 35" MT/Rs on my Dodge RAM, and they feel very similar. Haven't had any issues with balancing and noise is the same. On the highway, the KM/2s ride a bit softer, however they wander a bit more. Both grip very well in dirt and rocks, though I prefer the KM/2s on the trail because they're softer. The MT/Rs are OK in the snow, definitely do better in deep than on hard pack because they aren't siped; haven't tried the KM/2s in snow yet. The MT/Rs withstand a lot :knockonwood:, haven't had a puncture or tear and I've given them moderate abuse.

I've got to make a similar decision after I lift my JK. Probably going to stick with KM/2s because I prefer the softer ride on and off the highway.

And as with all straight axle vehicles, rotate your tires at every oil change and you'll reduce wear issues.

3 points to consider on this post: siping is THE way to go for any tire if you see snow. I've run the same tire unsiped and siped, and it makes a huge difference. A C rated MTR is soft riding, and air pressure adjustments will impact soft vs hard driving on the road. I run my MTR's at 26lbs, ran my Nitto Mud Grapplers at 24lbs. Anything higher on either tire made for a very bumpy ride.

Patman 10-12-2013 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor (Post 3700459)
km2's are something like 38 lbs LIGHTER per tire than the GY's IIRC?

35x12.5x15:
Km2- 61lbs
Mtrk- 67lbs

TJJK 10-12-2013 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Canalesjavii (Post 3700572)
OP? i was looking at the Hancook but hate the sidewall pattern lol and they aint so good with the mud down here in south florida,so i heard

Must be quicksand for mud. Major 4wd publication (MUD TIRE SHOOTOUT) rated the DYNAPRO MT number one out of ten.

Matthewd5 10-12-2013 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nwapache (Post 3702989)
3 points to consider on this post: siping is THE way to go for any tire if you see snow. I've run the same tire unsiped and siped, and it makes a huge difference. A C rated MTR is soft riding, and air pressure adjustments will impact soft vs hard driving on the road. I run my MTR's at 26lbs, ran my Nitto Mud Grapplers at 24lbs. Anything higher on either tire made for a very bumpy ride.

Two things...I have forgotten what siping is! And I'm looking at going down to 16" as those tires are often cheaper Lu's I've been told you can get the mtr k's in 16" with a grade E sidewall , and that in general 16's when aired down would be better than 17's of the same tire

Tripletsi 10-12-2013 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Matthewd5 (Post 3703104)

Two things...I have forgotten what siping is!

That's what Google and Wikipedia are for!

HornetJK 10-12-2013 11:27 AM

I have 35, 000 on my Km2s35x12.50x17. I do a five tire rotation every 3500 miles and I still have 18/32s that's about 3/4 tread. Not to confuse you but don't rule out Nitto Trail grapplers.

Matthewd5 10-12-2013 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tripletsi (Post 3703106)

That's what Google and Wikipedia are for!

Point taken

I looked it up, so do certain tires come pre siped, or do you get it done after you have the tires?

Matthew

Canalesjavii 10-12-2013 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by HornetJK (Post 3703113)
I have 35, 000 on my Km2s35x12.50x17. I do a five tire rotation every 3500 miles and I still have 18/32s that's about 3/4 tread. Not to confuse you but don't rule out Nitto Trail grapplers.

I was going with those but they weigh more than the km2 and mtr