Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Big Tires vs MPG

Old 03-15-2008, 12:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Tires vs MPG

Just wondering how many of you have done the math and found out just how many MPGs you lost after putting on larger tires from the stock ones? It's no biggie really, and I'm still gonna put on new tires, wheels, and BB lift soon, regardless, (gonna bite the bullet), but I'd just "somewhat" like to know what to expect? Is it just a little difference, or am I gonna be shocked...???!!!
I'm sure it's all relative as to the actual size you go with, so let me just say I'm going to stay with 16s, and I doubt I'll go over 33 / 11-5-12.5s. I also have auto w/ 4:10s
Any ballpark figures would be fine. Pretty much just curious.
DAMN I HATE THESE GAS PRICES...!!!! Can you say BEND OVER...???!!! Have to wonder how long the American people will put up with it. Up here people have already started stealing diesel from folks' large 3-500 gal heating oil tanks. Got a feelin' this is only just a start as to how people are going to continue to react to these ridiculous prices with no end in site.
Thanks & All the Best from Alaska....
Dave
Old 03-15-2008, 01:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well here is my take on the bigger wheels and I am by no means an expert

1) With a bigger tire you are going to be gaining weight/tire = depends on the size but you are looking at +10lbs/tire extra.

2) Rolling resistance it will take more power to get up to speed with the larger diameter and heavier tire. Therefore, your motor will work a little harder and using more fuel.

3) Also, if you are heading into hilly or mountianous area's with larger tires will change your gearing on your JK and you will be downshifting more because of the larger diameter tire as it takes more engine Rev's to push that tire thus using more fuel.

4) A wider tread will have more surface friction affecting the rolling resistance. The wider the tire the more power you need to roll that tire thus again using more fuel.

Just my thoughts...someone else can chime in if I am wrong!
Old 03-15-2008, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Funny, I just now figured my mileage after one tank of gas driving at 2,000 RPM,s or less. 251 miles + 10% = 276 miles, it took 18.0 gallons. 15.33 MPG's Look at my sig. to see my specs.

Howdy
Old 03-15-2008, 02:36 PM
JK Jedi

JK H H....What were you getting (MPG) before the change over?
Old 03-15-2008, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

You can't look at at just MPG cost, which will be much higher. Bigger tires can be very heavy, I have seen as much as 45 lbs per tires/wheel. But also you have to see other cost as well, the more obvious one will be your brakes. The JK brakes are not designed for big tires, and unless you add bigger brakes, your braking distance will suffer and you will need to change your brake pads more often. It will also, as mentioned, add stress to your engine and gear box. The Rubicon will do a bit better with bigger tires, but your overall maintenance will suffer.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by JK Hunter Howdy
Funny, I just now figured my mileage after one tank of gas driving at 2,000 RPM,s or less. 251 miles + 10% = 276 miles, it took 18.0 gallons. 15.33 MPG's Look at my sig. to see my specs.

Howdy
I see you added 10% to the odometer to get the actuall miles driven.

Did you also drive 10% SLOWER than the speedometer SAID you were going, or did you actually drive 10% faster when you got the above mpg?

-----------------------------

To go from 32's as a stock, factory sized tire, to a 33" tire...I really doubt the jeep won't be able to stop like it did on the 32's/

I found my braking distances dropped on the wider taller tires, as the additional surface area of rubber on the road/increased contact patch provided more traction.

There's not a rig on the road that has brakes that can't over come their throttle for example....so, with antilock brakes, if you nail the binders, it will haul you down.

Last edited by TEEJ; 03-15-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

AK 4Dave, I was getting about 16 MPG with 4in lift and stock tires and gears, but I wasn't driving as slow as I am now.

Howdy
Old 03-15-2008, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Haven't lifted mine yet.
But on the gas price outrage and Americans "taking" it.
You would be shocked to learn we have some of the cheapest gas on the Earth. Most of the world is paying about 12 dollars per gallon.
The only two execptions I know of are Saudi Arabia, and Venezuala.
And sorry to hear people losing there ethics and respect for each other up there.

On a different note: I am looking forward to visiting your beautiful state some day!
Have a great time with that Jeep up there.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went to 33" tires and steel rims. I think the steel rims effected it the most though. I was getting 18-19mpg, now I am getting 14-15mpg.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by somewhereinla
Bigger tires can be very heavy, I have seen as much as 45 lbs per tires/wheel.
My Toyo's are 83 lbs each. Wheels probably bring it over 100 lbs.

Averaging just over 12 mpg. I'm not really using my jeep as a dd, so it's mostly trail, mountains, and around town mileage. I'm sure it would get better mileage on flat highways.

Quick Reply: Big Tires vs MPG