Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

bigger rubber to stock rim

Old 12-17-2006, 04:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink bigger rubber to stock rim

Hi All....I'm CLUBBER and new to this site and new to jeeps. Ordered 07' rubi, black what else? Want to change stock tires LT255/75r17 to something that sticks out past flairs for that proper look. Thinking 33/12.50 all terrian tread (highway to work ) Question: can I just change the rubber to the stock rims, without any problems or does anthing else need to be changed too?
Old 12-17-2006, 06:51 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey clubber, welcome to JK-Forum. Regarding your question, are you just looking to have your tires stickout beyond your flares or are you wanting to run bigger tires too? There is a difference.

If you're just looking to have them stickout beyond the flares, all you need to do is get a set of 1.5" wheels spacers or buy a new set of wheels with less backspacing (5.5" or less).

Now, if you want to run bigger tires like 33x12.50's, you really should install a 2" lift. Not only will this give your tires the room they need, it'll also help your Jeep "that proper look"
Old 12-17-2006, 08:42 AM
JK Freak

Question order of things

My pleasure Way...wondering how the stock tires would look with the spacers. Or if I went with the 33-12.50 , would they stick out enough without spacers. Is it ok to get the 33's before I get the lift kit..Also the spacers and lift kit are bought where ? and can any machinic install these ?Iwould like to get this stuff before the jk comes in so I can get it on rite away.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by clubber
My pleasure Way...wondering how the stock tires would look with the spacers. Or if I went with the 33-12.50 , would they stick out enough without spacers. Is it ok to get the 33's before I get the lift kit..Also the spacers and lift kit are bought where ? and can any machinic install these ?Iwould like to get this stuff before the jk comes in so I can get it on rite away.
33" x 12.5 should be fine without a lift... The tires on the Rubi are roughly 33" x 10" right out of the factory. You should get the spidertrax 1.25" spacer though, that would push the 12.5" tires right at or just past the flare.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Spidertrax spacers and 35" tires

I'm new this forum. I have been reading for weeks and now I have some questions. I have a White Rubi on order loaded w/ auto. I have purchased so for: Warn Dual force winch, Bestop Highrock front bumper w/ roller, I also will be ordering a Jeeperman rear bumper as soon as availoable.
I want to thank you in advance for the assistance to the questions.

Here's my questions:
1. Do you know if it's a ticket (legallly) if your tires extend out pass the wheel flares in California? I like the look but don't want to get hassled by it.

2. I going to purchase Spider trax 1.5" wheell spacers and use the stock wheels with 35"x12.5"x17 tires.
Tire choices: 1. BF Goodrich mud/terrain TA (like stock but bigger), 2. Dick Cepek Mud Country 2 Tires (I like the look) Which is the better tire?, quieter on road, last longer

3. I want (need) to put on 2" lift or a Teraflex 2.5" budget boost lift too. Is this the right way of going about this? I will do moderate off roading for trail head access at best for starts.
Also should I stick with the gas charged shocks too, since that's what's stock?

4. If I "air down" the tires w/ stock rims will I blow a bread with 7.5" wide stock rims? If it's a slight chance I'll take it. But if it is suicide please give me some advice on what to put on the stock rims (I like them). Pictures would be great too.

5. Any idea of the new MGP with 35" tires verus 32"?

I know this is alot of questions but this should set me up with the direction I need to go with once I get the answers. Thanks again.

Take care.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:10 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Trail Bud, welcome to JK-Forum

Originally Posted by Trail Bud
1. Do you know if it's a ticket (legallly) if your tires extend out pass the wheel flares in California? I like the look but don't want to get hassled by it.
It is definitely a "fix-it" ticket but no one will pull you over for it just like not having a front license plate on.

2. I going to purchase Spider trax 1.5" wheell spacers and use the stock wheels with 35"x12.5"x17 tires. Tire choices: 1. BF Goodrich mud/terrain TA (like stock but bigger), 2. Dick Cepek Mud Country 2 Tires (I like the look) Which is the better tire?, quieter on road, last longer
Get the BFG's. They wear like iron on pavement, offer good traction on the trail and are really quiet for a mudder so long as you rotate them every 3,000 miles.

3. I want (need) to put on 2" lift or a Teraflex 2.5" budget boost lift too. Is this the right way of going about this? I will do moderate off roading for trail head access at best for starts. Also should I stick with the gas charged shocks too, since that's what's stock?
For 35's, you really need 3" of lift so if a BB is the only thing you can afford, the TeraFlex 2.5" kit is what you should get. It also comes with shock relocation brackets so you do not need to get new ones.

4. If I "air down" the tires w/ stock rims will I blow a bread with 7.5" wide stock rims? If it's a slight chance I'll take it. But if it is suicide please give me some advice on what to put on the stock rims (I like them). Pictures would be great too.
If anything, the factory wheels are a bit narrow for 12.50 wide tires and they will hold a bead quite well.

5. Any idea of the new MGP with 35" tires verus 32"?
Well, one thing for sure, it will be less. Not by much I'm sure.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Budget lfit vs. 3" standard lift

Thank you Way of Life for the answers. This helps me alot
You mentioned I really should use a 3" lift. What manufacturer would you recomend for my application? Also, what would be the benefits over the B.B.?
Or is it like the argument of wheel spacers verus buying the proper backspaced wheel? If it would make a major difference I will spend the $300-400 more to get it.
Finally I saw that you mentioned in another thread that lift instillation isn't that hard. I do have the tools and I am handy and machanically inclined.
(most of the time)
I am planing on installing everything elese that I have purchased,
what could be the tricky areas, if any for the BB or a 3" lift?

This picture started me on this whole process.
http://project-jk.com/wp-gallery2.php?g2_itemId=6251

Again your efforts are greatly appriciated.
Take care.

Last edited by Trail Bud; 01-01-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:07 PM
JK Super Freak

One addtional question/ comment on the 2.5" Budget Boost vs a full 3" lift.

I need to keep the vehical height at a reasonable height to get in and out of so I don't get devorced. I know it's only a 1/2"
Thanks
Old 01-04-2007, 12:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had some Hankook DynaPro MT RT03's, 315/70/17 (approx 34.5" tall) mounted on some Jeep Commander Hulk wheels which are 17x7.5 (same size as the stock 17's.) They fit well, and I think they should look good on my Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon once it comes in. Here are a few pictures. That's a stock ride height 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC in the background for reference.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone know anything about these Hankooks? I have never heard that brand before. It's a nice looking tire though.

Quick Reply: bigger rubber to stock rim