Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Binding/popping sound RCV

Old 02-09-2014, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Binding/popping sound RCV

I have a Pro Rock 44 with RCV shafts. I got hung up on a concrete divider about 5 inches high. Now I have a intermittent binding/popping sound coming from the drivers side CV joint area. There is no impact damage. I took the wrong angle and had to gun it to get over. I also have a 5.7 Hemi and I had to use a bit of power to make the jump. I was in 2wd. I pushed the boot off and I don't see anything obvious wrong.

Thanks for any feed back.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lifetime warranty ftw!
Old 02-09-2014, 01:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clicking??? If so... probably the star cage.

Call them, tell them what you got and they will send out a new item for you. The warranty is the best I've ever seen and I've used it three times so far.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Clicking??? If so... probably the star cage.

Call them, tell them what you got and they will send out a new item for you. The warranty is the best I've ever seen and I've used it three times so far.
Thanks for the info. It seems strange they would break by just jumping concrete. I had the shafts in my factory housing at the JKX in 2012 and had no problem. I replaced the snap rings when I put them in my ProRock. I must have done something wrong.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ptstl
Thanks for the info. It seems strange they would break by just jumping concrete. I had the shafts in my factory housing at the JKX in 2012 and had no problem. I replaced the snap rings when I put them in my ProRock. I must have done something wrong.
Star cage, if that's what's wrong, would have likely broke while you were turning. RCV used to claim 45 degrees was max, now they want us to run, limiting at 42 (assumed because of star cage failures), yet I've broken at 42.

This may not be what's wrong, you need to take the shaft out and inspect.

Quick Reply: Binding/popping sound RCV