Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Blown passenger side airbag :-(

Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by demp
Couple month old thread, but this is exactly why I did not get side airbags. The dealer was pushing me to get them every step of the way but I kept refusing. The front airbags are deployed when you sufficiently crush the front cans, but the side seem to use an accelerometer to trigger.

Seems to me that if you held the wheel at the "proper" 10 and 2 position, the side airbag would smash your arm forward. If the front deployed as well it would trap your arm between the two.

The fronts actually use an accelerometer as well. Has nothing to do with the crush cans. Thats why the airbags still work with aftermarket bumpers.

The fronts will deploy during a front impact, and the sides during a side impact, they shouldnt deploy at the same time. But I suppose stranger things have happened.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, you are right about the crush cans not being used for airbags. I read it somewhere without checking, which a quick google search has fixed. The crush can just has a little bumper inside to soften impact.

As far as deployed same time, I imagine an angled front impact could cause both as it will suddenly decelerate and twist the vehicle to the side.

Quick Reply: Blown passenger side airbag :-(