On board air recommendation

On board air recommendation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default On board air recommendation

Running 33’s and looking for an on board air recommendation. Only use, will be to air up tires. Can mount in engine bay or would prefer under the seats, I think. Have a 2017 jk.

Currently looking at the arb high output. Northridge sells a full kit that includes the mount and tire inflator.

Anything else I should be looking at? Thought of just disabling the TPMS but the wife says no. :-)
    From the roof of my JKU...

JK Enthusiast

I think the ARBs are the only ones small enough to fit inside the engine bay. To be honest most of the guys around here carry an external Smittybilt compressor. Make it easy to move between vehicles and they're pretty durable.

Default On board air

There is another solution. I have a Warn PowerPlant winch that also has an integrated air compressor. It always works and I have successfully ran air tools using it.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KG6SLC_Freceiver.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	675434  
    2013 RUBICON 10/yr edition JK Unlimited:
    Anvil exterior Red Leather seats
    6 speed
    3 piece hardtop
    Warn Powerplant 12000/lb winch + onboard air
    3.5" Metal Cloak Game Changer (on order. awaiting delivery)
    37 12.50 R17 KM2 Tires (also on order)
    Hi-Lift Extreme jack
    ARB 50/qt Fridge/freezer
    440MHz, 2meter, 6meter, & 10meter FT8900

FUTURE ITEMS/UPGRADES:

Atlas Adapter
    Roof Rack
    Swing away tire carrier
    dual batteries
    Auxiliary fuel tank

Cliffride sells one now that goes into the tailgate, looks intriguing. Under the hood is good because you can still store things under the seats. I've got the sun shade under the seat and the compressor (viair) under the hood.
    2010 2dr with the usual goods

Looking at the smittybilt, that might be a better way to go. Definitely cheaper.
    From the roof of my JKU...

I have the ARB twin. I can air up a 33 from 14 psi to 34 psi in about 90 seconds. Plus its 100% duty cycle so no waiting for it to cool between tires. If I had it to do over I would get the single. Much cheaper and still pretty fast. Mine is mounted under the passenger seat. The only drawback is by the time I bought the mounting bracket and the hose, etc I have sunk over $700 for it all.
    2015 JK two door, 3" Teraflex lift, BFG 33 X 12.5 Mud Terrain, Teraflex Alpine LCAs, Teraflex HD TR, ARB Twin OBA, Cobra 75WXST with ultramount and 3' firestik, Adams CV 1310 front DS. Previous rig 2002 TJ, long may she rest.

I've got the ARB High Output kit from Northridge and love it. Use it for airing up my 35's and for my ARB locker as well.

Not a fan of installing a compressor in the engine bay. They have an operating temp. and putting them in the engine bay pre-heats them before you even use it and IMO wears them out faster. I know companies make mounts for them but it doesn't mean you should mount it there. I emailed ARB and they don't even recommend you mount in the engine compartment. They do sell a breather relocation kit to help bring in cooler air in case you do though.
    I have an ARB now as a backup with 1gal tank that's mounted in the back of the JK with my 10lbs CO2 tank as my primary way to fill up.
    The smittybilts work but I've gone through 2 of them and won't buy another which is why I have the ARB now.
    11 JKUR Auto, RIPP SC, Body Armor bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic line,XRC Rear Bumper W/carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, 10lb CO2, Metalcloak 3.5 springs, Synergy track bar,drag link flip-Tie Rod, control arms and Ball Joints, C-gusset and sleeved, RuffStuff Diff. covers, FOX W\res shocks, Barricade Flat Fenders, Redneck Ram, 37 12.50\17 BFG KO2, 5.38 Motive gears, Uniden 520xl CB, Yaesu FT7900, Teraflex Big Rotors, Diablo Intune, Dynomax RC exhaust. W3JEP San Diego Jeep Club-Gulf War Vet. USAF

I've got the ARB twin mounted under my hood and use the hell out of it. Had the compressor quit the last day in Moab 2 years ago as I was airing up my last tire after I emptied my powertank. Sent ARB an email about getting it repaired and they said to ship it in and they'd look at it. Didn't hear anything for about a week and a half, then got notice they were sending me a new one. Total cost: $0.00.

My buddy had it installed on the Jeep before I bought it, so they could have ducked out that way, and it was several years old. No questions asked, total replacement. I figured I'd at least have to cover the ride back.

I'm sold. ARB customer for life.
    Trail Rated. BOOM!

ARB indeed has excellent customer service, and that speaks volumes about their products. I have the 12V twin compressor (CKMTA12) under my passenger seat and love it. As already highlighted, it's 100% duty cycle and fast. The drawback is no doubt price, especially since it is not enough to run pneumatic tools.....it is a very pricey tire inflator, especially if you're not using it to run lockers. That said, I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast