Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Body Removal on 2012-2015 jk 4 door

Old 03-03-2015, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Removal on 2012-2015 jk 4 door

Hi guys, i was wanting to hear from anyone that has removed the body off of a jeep jk 4 door either for a hemi install or for any other reason. Im looking at two pretty in depth lift kits and while neither one requires you to remove the body to install the lift it would make it much easier to do so if removing the body wasn't a two or three day endeavor. Here's the kicker, i dont own or have access to a lift. That being said is it still possible or should i stay away? Thanks!!
Old 03-03-2015, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you're installing a body lift, there is no reason to remove the body.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

[tE=ChairRepairHeatnAir;4063871]Unless you're installing a body lift, there is no reason to remove the body.[/QUOTE]

No its not a body lift. Both that im looking require a lot of frame work welding/cutting so it would just be easier to work if you didn't have the body on. Plus you dont have to be worry about being under the jeep since the axles will be off and it will be on jack stands.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anybody out there with experience on this??
Old 03-04-2015, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any personal experience with that, but I've been in shops were they've removed
The complete bodies to do engine swaps and they use vehicle lifts with straps above to secure body
Then lower chassis down and rollout from under neath..
Old 03-04-2015, 06:09 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With out a vehicle lift I personally wouldn't attempt it. Just my opinion.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:40 AM
JK Super Freak

You'd be surprised how many people on here have access to a lift on here. Met a guy on here who has one and we became friends, now we're redoing most of his suspension soon with it! Ask around on the staging area section.

Edit: Otherwise just keep the body on
Old 03-05-2015, 01:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

U mean like this?

I have done this twice. It is an ordeal to be sure. Had body off of frame after a few hours prep work disconnecting various parts and tidbits and alot of harnesses.

Went back on even faster since i now knew what to expect.

I did it for same reason. 5.3 engine upgrade and lift kit at same time. Lots of frame modification and body was just plain in the damn way.

After having done this-i would suggest u stop.
I have saved nothing really by doing this myself. After engine, trans, the kit itself and the massive down time, i would have been better off taking by trailer accross 4 states and dropping it off at Motech and letting them do it for me. The savings of money simply isnt there. Ill have 20 in this mod for just the engine conversion amd thats what they charge to do it and they are faster and insured if something goes wrong.

But i will admit, i know my jeep alot more in detail than before. I will be able to fix it on the trail with that new and wonderful knowledge and because i did it myself, and i care alot about my jeep, extra care was taken for perfection-this may have been a contributing factor in my costs. I went a bit overboard....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2233909671.jpg
Views:	3664
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	599787  
Old 03-05-2015, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Earth Siege
U mean like this?

I have done this twice. It is an ordeal to be sure. Had body off of frame after a few hours prep work disconnecting various parts and tidbits and alot of harnesses.

Went back on even faster since i now knew what to expect.

I did it for same reason. 5.3 engine upgrade and lift kit at same time. Lots of frame modification and body was just plain in the damn way.

After having done this-i would suggest u stop.
I have saved nothing really by doing this myself. After engine, trans, the kit itself and the massive down time, i would have been better off taking by trailer accross 4 states and dropping it off at Motech and letting them do it for me. The savings of money simply isnt there. Ill have 20 in this mod for just the engine conversion amd thats what they charge to do it and they are faster and insured if something goes wrong.

But i will admit, i know my jeep alot more in detail than before. I will be able to fix it on the trail with that new and wonderful knowledge and because i did it myself, and i care alot about my jeep, extra care was taken for perfection-this may have been a contributing factor in my costs. I went a bit overboard....
Thats exactly what i am talking about. How long did it take you to remove the body? Im not too worried about down time as it is not my daily driver.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to Aev website for hemi install instructions and they have a downloadable step by step guide to hemi install and first part is all about a checklist of things that have to be disconnected for body removal prep. Took a day to do the prep and then next day i rolled jeep outside and connected upper roll cage(i have the rock hard sport cage so it has alot of extra bracing in the area that i lifted on). For the body removal, i didnt have a hoist so we used a snatchblock and a chain connected to friends jeep to lift the body off and that worked but went too fast, so for body reinstall i purchased a harbor frieght manual hoist and used it and that was much better for nice slow controlled decent. The first pic i showed u was the hoist putting jeep body back on. Here is the pic of it being removed just for giggles. Wheel dollys are invaluable during reinstall to wiggle the frame into position.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-15568915.jpg
Views:	1448
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	599801  

Quick Reply: Body Removal on 2012-2015 jk 4 door