Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bracket is tearing up my steering stabilizer.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bracket is tearing up my steering stabilizer.

This is all going to be pretty vague without pictures but I wanted to see if I couldn't get some information here while I was at work (I'll post a picture after I get off work).

I have a Skyjacker HD Steering Stabilizer that the dealership installed along with the lift:

Basically I have this problem that I've been watching get worse over time. The bracket attaching the Stabilizer on the left side of the trackbar??? will do some serious rubbing on the top of the steering stabilizer when I'm at full turn. Its so bad that it has not only torn the rubber accordion sleeve over the stabilizer but it has also scratched (more like torn) the hell out of the top of the steering stabilizer housing, which has now started to rust and look crappy.

Also whenever I make a slightly sharp turn I heard a popping sound, which I think is that bracket popping off or on to the steering stabilizer.

I'm going to take it to the dealership this weekend but I thought I'd ask your guys opinion first, because the dealership doesn't know anything but dealershit.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 AM
JK Super Freak

I imagine everyone is having a hard time picturing this

Will try and get a pic up asap.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

Picturing it just fine

Flattened region at the top of the stabalizer because its just a bit too fat to squeez by the bottom of the bracket.

I dont have a link but someone even had it "hang up" on the trackbar bracket and prevent a full turn of the steering (while driving).

Mine has the little flattened spot... that and of course the boot had to be removed cuz it keeps getting pushed off for the same reason.

-Phid
Old 11-08-2007, 10:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Phidian
Picturing it just fine

Flattened region at the top of the stabalizer because its just a bit too fat to squeez by the bottom of the bracket.

I dont have a link but someone even had it "hang up" on the trackbar bracket and prevent a full turn of the steering (while driving).

Mine has the little flattened spot... that and of course the boot had to be removed cuz it keeps getting pushed off for the same reason.

-Phid
You got it! Even despite my horrible description.

Will this hurt anything over time or should I just not worry about it? Anyway to make it not scrape so much? I'd hate to have it get hung up and prevent a full turn when i'm on the road
Old 11-08-2007, 01:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Some pics:

Old 11-08-2007, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Anyone else having this issue?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I remember something in the installation instructions for the skyjacker about the bracket on the drivers side needing to be rotated in some cases because of clearance issues. But, mine doesn't seem to have this issue.

Have you emailed Skyjacker?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may cause problems down the line, but should be ok for a while. I would suggest you get the SuperLift steering stabilizer. I have no problems with it and everyone states that it is the best. I do not have pictures up close - This is the best I have:

Old 11-09-2007, 05:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the advice guys. I looked into it and found some install directions:

http://www.skyjacker.com/image/search/pdf/7003.pdf

Apparently the dealershit that installed my lift/suspension installed the steering stabilizer backwards with the cyliner body mounted furthest from the axle instead of axle side, even though the directions specifically say:

"if mounted the opposite way damage can occur to the stabilizer"

This would make the SECOND thing they installed wrong/backwards. The first was the passenger side sway bar disco they mounted backwards and F'ed up the bushings.

If you guys were me would you go to the dealership and tell them to get me a new stabilizer or just mount the old one on there by myself and forget about it?

Last edited by wayoflifette; 11-09-2007 at 08:12 AM. Reason: edited non sponsor link
Old 11-09-2007, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Their mistake - their problem.
Have them fix it.

Quick Reply: Bracket is tearing up my steering stabilizer.