Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brake Pads - What do you like best and why?

 
Old 04-01-2019, 11:24 AM
  #11  
Super Moderator
 
Rednroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,946
Liked 104 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jedg View Post
Did you get the rotars too or did you just use the pads? If just the pads, what part number?
I got just the pads. I'm running the Mopar front BBK so different part number of pads from stock for me.

Powerstop Z36 JK Wrangler P/Ns.
Stock Front: Z36-1273
Stock Rear: Z36-1274
Mopar BBK Front: Z36-1084

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-01-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Rednroll is online now  
Old 04-01-2019, 11:38 AM
  #12  
Super Moderator
 
jedg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bunnlevel, NC
Posts: 2,926
Liked 76 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
I got just the pads. I'm running the Mopar front BBK so different part number of pads from stock for me.

Powerstop Z36 JK Wrangler P/Ns.
Stock Front: Z36-1273
Stock Rear: Z36-1274
Mopar BBK Front: Z36-1084
Thanks!
jedg is online now  
Old 04-01-2019, 11:50 AM
  #13  
Super Moderator
 
Rednroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,946
Liked 104 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jedg View Post
Thanks!
As an FYI, if you shop on Amazon they seem to have the description incorrect for the rear pads. The description says "Front" pads for the Z36-1274. Although with my JK in my Amazon garage it does confirm the link below fits the rears.
Amazon Amazon

That threw me off, and had to visit Powerstop's website to get a double confirmation of the front and rear P/Ns.
https://www.powerstop.com/product/po...RANGLER&p=Rear
Rednroll is online now  
Old 04-01-2019, 11:53 AM
  #14  
Super Moderator
 
jedg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bunnlevel, NC
Posts: 2,926
Liked 76 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
As an FYI, if you shop on Amazon they seem to have the description incorrect for the rear pads. The description says "Front" pads for the Z36-1274. Although with my JK in my Amazon garage it does confirm the link below fits the rears.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JGRXFKK...v_ov_lig_dp_it

That threw me off, and had to visit Powerstop's website to get a double confirmation of the front and rear P/Ns.
https://www.powerstop.com/product/po...RANGLER&p=Rear
The description on Amazon is exactly why I asked for the part number. When I tried to pull them up as pads only, I was seeing that and got confused.
jedg is online now  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:08 AM
  #15  
JK Enthusiast
 
hornetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 338
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Doing PM today oil change, grease, tire rotation and noticed my right rear brake pads are wore down to about an 1/8 of an inch, the driver side still has a lot of meat so it appears RR is doing all the braking. I installed Power Stop Z16 evolution brake pads PST16-1274 with the Power Stop rotors PSTAR8382XPR only 10,604 miles ago. I changed the RR caliper back in 2013 due to seized. I just can’t believe that the pads on the right hand side would wear down so quickly. I have a manual and use my clutch to do most of the braking. Rolling on 35 Cooper STT pro. Just wondering if a better pad or maybe both my calipers should be changed out. Before I buy another set of pads does anyone have a recommendation.
hornetman is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:51 AM
  #16  
JK Junkie
 
rob_engineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: brick, nj
Posts: 2,827
Likes: 0
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by hornetman
Doing PM today oil change, grease, tire rotation and noticed my right rear brake pads are wore down to about an 1/8 of an inch, the driver side still has a lot of meat so it appears RR is doing all the braking. I installed Power Stop Z16 evolution brake pads PST16-1274 with the Power Stop rotors PSTAR8382XPR only 10,604 miles ago. I changed the RR caliper back in 2013 due to seized. I just can’t believe that the pads on the right hand side would wear down so quickly. I have a manual and use my clutch to do most of the braking. Rolling on 35 Cooper STT pro. Just wondering if a better pad or maybe both my calipers should be changed out. Before I buy another set of pads does anyone have a recommendation.
Maybe your LR caliper isn't working properly making your RR do all the work. I'd consider replacing the LR. As far as pads, I use the hawk ceramic pads. They stop great but made tons of dust over the first 10,000 miles or so.
rob_engineer is online now  
Old 04-13-2019, 07:52 AM
  #17  
JK Enthusiast
 
hornetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 338
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Good point with possibly LH caliper not functioning properly. I guess I will start looking for rear brake caliper upgrade that will still work with my power stop rotors.
hornetman is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 09:13 AM
  #18  
JK Enthusiast
 
hornetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 338
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Looks like I’m going to try the Power Stop brake calipers and Z36 pads, Extreame Terrain has for $293.00, any other suggestions before I pull the trigger and order these?
hornetman is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 10:44 AM
  #19  
JK Super Freak
 
Mr.T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Over the hill
Posts: 1,301
Liked 39 Times in 38 Posts
Default

I'm still liking the Raybestos EHT pads. Regarding the worn rear pad, in addition to checking/comparing how hard the rear caliper pistons are to compress before installing the pads -- Suggest cleaning the rear wheel speed sensors, especially if you have noticed the traction control dash light flicker when it wasn't a slick road surface.

The sensors are held by one bolt, and the connector has the usual red lock-tab that must be slid before pressing the release. The rear sensors are exposed in the parking brake area, and metallic dust particles eventually collect on them that can cause the sensor to misread pulses from the reluctor ring on the axle and apply the brake to one wheel momentarily. Just wipe off the sensor and re-install.
Mr.T is offline  

Quick Reply: Brake Pads - What do you like best and why?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: