Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads - What do you like best and why?

Old 04-01-2019, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Did you get the rotars too or did you just use the pads? If just the pads, what part number?
I got just the pads. I'm running the Mopar front BBK so different part number of pads from stock for me.

Powerstop Z36 JK Wrangler P/Ns.
Stock Front: Z36-1273
Stock Rear: Z36-1274
Mopar BBK Front: Z36-1084

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-01-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I got just the pads. I'm running the Mopar front BBK so different part number of pads from stock for me.

Powerstop Z36 JK Wrangler P/Ns.
Stock Front: Z36-1273
Stock Rear: Z36-1274
Mopar BBK Front: Z36-1084
Thanks!
Old 04-01-2019, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Thanks!
As an FYI, if you shop on Amazon they seem to have the description incorrect for the rear pads. The description says "Front" pads for the Z36-1274. Although with my JK in my Amazon garage it does confirm the link below fits the rears.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JGRXFKK/?coliid=I6A7G8JLEUNP2&colid=20TXEAD6EBPRA&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
That threw me off, and had to visit Powerstop's website to get a double confirmation of the front and rear P/Ns.
https://www.powerstop.com/product/po...RANGLER&p=Rear
Old 04-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
As an FYI, if you shop on Amazon they seem to have the description incorrect for the rear pads. The description says "Front" pads for the Z36-1274. Although with my JK in my Amazon garage it does confirm the link below fits the rears.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JGRXFKK...v_ov_lig_dp_it

That threw me off, and had to visit Powerstop's website to get a double confirmation of the front and rear P/Ns.
https://www.powerstop.com/product/po...RANGLER&p=Rear
The description on Amazon is exactly why I asked for the part number. When I tried to pull them up as pads only, I was seeing that and got confused.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Doing PM today oil change, grease, tire rotation and noticed my right rear brake pads are wore down to about an 1/8 of an inch, the driver side still has a lot of meat so it appears RR is doing all the braking. I installed Power Stop Z16 evolution brake pads PST16-1274 with the Power Stop rotors PSTAR8382XPR only 10,604 miles ago. I changed the RR caliper back in 2013 due to seized. I just can’t believe that the pads on the right hand side would wear down so quickly. I have a manual and use my clutch to do most of the braking. Rolling on 35 Cooper STT pro. Just wondering if a better pad or maybe both my calipers should be changed out. Before I buy another set of pads does anyone have a recommendation.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by hornetman
Doing PM today oil change, grease, tire rotation and noticed my right rear brake pads are wore down to about an 1/8 of an inch, the driver side still has a lot of meat so it appears RR is doing all the braking. I installed Power Stop Z16 evolution brake pads PST16-1274 with the Power Stop rotors PSTAR8382XPR only 10,604 miles ago. I changed the RR caliper back in 2013 due to seized. I just can’t believe that the pads on the right hand side would wear down so quickly. I have a manual and use my clutch to do most of the braking. Rolling on 35 Cooper STT pro. Just wondering if a better pad or maybe both my calipers should be changed out. Before I buy another set of pads does anyone have a recommendation.
Maybe your LR caliper isn't working properly making your RR do all the work. I'd consider replacing the LR. As far as pads, I use the hawk ceramic pads. They stop great but made tons of dust over the first 10,000 miles or so.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Good point with possibly LH caliper not functioning properly. I guess I will start looking for rear brake caliper upgrade that will still work with my power stop rotors.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Looks like I’m going to try the Power Stop brake calipers and Z36 pads, Extreame Terrain has for $293.00, any other suggestions before I pull the trigger and order these?
Old 04-13-2019, 10:44 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

I'm still liking the Raybestos EHT pads. Regarding the worn rear pad, in addition to checking/comparing how hard the rear caliper pistons are to compress before installing the pads -- Suggest cleaning the rear wheel speed sensors, especially if you have noticed the traction control dash light flicker when it wasn't a slick road surface.

The sensors are held by one bolt, and the connector has the usual red lock-tab that must be slid before pressing the release. The rear sensors are exposed in the parking brake area, and metallic dust particles eventually collect on them that can cause the sensor to misread pulses from the reluctor ring on the axle and apply the brake to one wheel momentarily. Just wipe off the sensor and re-install.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How long do you really need to change Jeep's brake pad? I bought mine before at Mopar parts from https://www.jeepsareus.com/sku/v1010868ad.html. Is there a more premium pad?

Quick Reply: Brake Pads - What do you like best and why?