Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Brake Upgrades

Old 08-01-2019, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by horrocks007
And they didn't return my email inquiry, so I may just end up with POWERSTOP all around once again. Not sure if there is anything better really since I am running 16" wheels.

If you were asking them if their kit fits 16in wheels, I can tell you with a 99.9% confidence level that they won't. Looking at those calipers I can tell they're RAM 1500 calipers. They're the same as my Mopar BBK calipers, and same as the Crown kit calipers. 17in wheels are the minimum to fit those calipers, and even there some 17in wheels have been known not to fit and many have had to relocate wheel balancing weights, so you're definitely not going to get them to work with a 16in wheel. Unfortunately, one of the major drawbacks of running with a 16in wheel in that BBK upgrades are pretty much non existent.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:56 AM
bkg
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my Rubicon has the Dynatrac kit on it. I'm happy with it, but to be honest, I have nothing to compare to as I've never driven a JK w/o it.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got a responce back from Crown about the off spacing of the calipers...use a washer to recenter...some JK's are like that. One note on installing the kit, I deburred the slots where the brake pad clips are installed. Once greased, they moved much easier.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by pcmasten
Just got a responce back from Crown about the off spacing of the calipers...use a washer to recenter...some JK's are like that. One note on installing the kit, I deburred the slots where the brake pad clips are installed. Once greased, they moved much easier.
Would you do this again considering the cost savings? A couple small washers in the mix vs. few hundred more for Teraflex?

edit- eff it...ordered the Crown for $350. Free return if need be. Will report if I have the same issue.

Last edited by resharp001; 08-02-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
Would you do this again considering the cost savings? A couple small washers in the mix vs. few hundred more for Teraflex?

edit- eff it...ordered the Crown for $350. Free return if need be. Will report if I have the same issue.
Installed easily. Ya, I would go this route again. My only hesitation is the Mopar MC and BB. I went ahead and ordered one from Northstar 4x4 even though I had the Crown MC. Seems to be the better way to go. I hope its not too much of a pita. I installed the Teraflex rotor kit in the rear yesterday. It doesn't ship with pads so you re-use the existing. My pads were fairly new so thats ok, but I wish they had included the spring clips the pads go into. Mine didn't fit real tight.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Installed easily. Ya, I would go this route again. My only hesitation is the Mopar MC and BB. I went ahead and ordered one from Northstar 4x4 even though I had the Crown MC. Seems to be the better way to go. I hope its not too much of a pita. I installed the Teraflex rotor kit in the rear yesterday. It doesn't ship with pads so you re-use the existing. My pads were fairly new so thats ok, but I wish they had included the spring clips the pads go into. Mine didn't fit real tight.
You might browse through that thread on the other forum as well. Rednroll has some good pointers for swapping the booster by removing the bolts inside the cab rather than the bolts in the engine bay that hold the booster to the bracket. (ie, remove the entire bracket from the firewall will the booster attached). I think it's still not going to be a super fun job. I have the MC/booster sitting in my garage and will do that along with the brakes when they come in. ugh, also have RNR steering system sitting in the garage to install too. My jeep gonna need a little attention to get this junk in. Installing is never as much fun as buying
The following users liked this post:
pcmasten (08-03-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You can go on ahead and forward those new parts on over, I'll be sure they get installed and properly utilized! .....but I'm guilty too, got a MC track bar sitting in the living room.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You can go on ahead and forward those new parts on over, I'll be sure they get installed and properly utilized! .....but I'm guilty too, got a MC track bar sitting in the living room.
Add me to that list. I got my Mopar trans cooler still sitting in my garage since Christmas and just received a new trans pan with drain plug yesterday. Going to tackle those at the same time....one of these days when I get time to work on my rig again. Current priority is to get the few projects I started for other hobbies which are taking up space in my garage and preventing me from being able to pull my JK into the garage so I can remove my hard top with my hoist. It's summer time and I can't take my top off! Too many projects...not enough time. It sure is much easier purchasing this stuff.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tried to replace the mc and brake booster today. I got the mc off ok, but it's a no go on the brake booster. I got the two lower nuts sort of off the brake booster (nut-loosened, but tight against sheet metal). Problem is that the BB mounting plate is not centered in the 4 holes so I can't get a socket onto the 2 upper ones. Tried a 6 point and a 12 point. I get a better fit with the 6 point 1/2 socket, but short of taking the entire dash off, I'm at a loss how to proceed. To say this is a pita is an understatement. Suggestions anyone?
Old 08-05-2019, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tried to replace the mc and brake booster today. I got the mc off ok, but it's a no go on the brake booster. I got the two lower nuts sort of off the brake booster (nut-loosened, but tight against sheet metal). Problem is that the BB mounting plate is not centered in the 4 holes so I can't get a socket onto the 2 upper ones. Tried a 6 point and a 12 point. I get a better fit with the 6 point 1/2 socket, but short of taking the entire dash off, I'm at a loss how to proceed. To say this is a pita is an understatement. Suggestions anyone?
Figured it out. Removed the 4 bolts from the engine compartment. A LOT easier. I then installed the booster (a tight fit) then the mc (an even tighter fit). One of the brake lines doesn't line up so I'll have to see if I can bend it into place. If not, back to mopar.

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrades