Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Break over angle question

Old 12-07-2013, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break over angle question

Which part of the unlimited hits the top of the mound when going over? Is it the sides of the tub? Will a lift cure this or is it the tire height that will?
Old 12-07-2013, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Get some rock rail/sliders and some skid plates. I have Ace rock rails and Evo ProTek skid plates and they have a lot of scratches and gouges. Well spent money in by opinion. Not protecting your rocker panels is expensive and unsightly. A lift will also help. And taller tires will get you axles slightly higher unless you go big.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by InvictusVeritas
Which part of the unlimited hits the top of the mound when going over? Is it the sides of the tub? Will a lift cure this or is it the tire height that will?
Your frame rails will hit. Either bigger tires or a lift will increase the break-over clearance. Most people opt for a combination of both.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by InvictusVeritas
Both?

Taller tires raise the axles as well as the frame/body, but you only gain 1/2 of the added height. (32" to 35", 3" total height difference for a 1.5" actual gain)

Taller coils/spacers only lift the frame/body, but give the full height gain under the belly.

But, if you get a lift, you will want bigger tires to fill the gaps. And if you get bigger tires, you will want a lift to keep them from rubbing. So just bite the bullet and get both...
Old 12-09-2013, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Lift or Tires or Both will help with break over. I went lift first and ran it for a year and a half before I got tires. It looks silly running stockers but it works.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 door plus a low lift = hitting skids...you name the skid, and I've hit it. The gas tanks skid, Auto tranny pan skid, LCA skids and even my evap canister skid have all taken hits.
My lift is a 2.5 RK lift with 35s on my JKUR. I've hit rocks on the side of the ACE tubes, the bottom...nothing on the top If you don't have rubi rails, and don't mind drilling, then I WOULD have gotten some Evo skids, or some Tera skids...something that mounts up higher to the rocker panels. Having the Rubi Rails and wanting a place to step...I like my ACE skids.

PS: Get the LCA skids if you don't have those. I hit those most of all in the Colorado Rockies...

To specifically answer the question. The gas tank skid and tranny skid hit on mine.

Last edited by demtek9; 12-09-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by demtek9
4 door plus a low lift = hitting skids...you name the skid, and I've hit it. The gas tanks skid, Auto tranny pan skid, LCA skids and even my evap canister skid have all taken hits.
My lift is a 2.5 RK lift with 35s on my JKUR. I've hit rocks on the side of the ACE tubes, the bottom...nothing on the top If you don't have rubi rails, and don't mind drilling, then I WOULD have gotten some Evo skids, or some Tera skids...something that mounts up higher to the rocker panels. Having the Rubi Rails and wanting a place to step...I like my ACE skids.

PS: Get the LCA skids if you don't have those. I hit those most of all in the Colorado Rockies...
+1 on the LCA Skids, good investment.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Get a 2"-3" lift( any bigger costs a lot more to do) plus a little taller tire, and some sturdy rocker protection ( I use Shrockworks ) I also added a Poison Spyder evap skid. If you learn to take the right line for the wheelbase you won't drag bottom that much. Obviously- if you plan to do serious rock crawling you need more lift, more tire, more skids, MORE MONEY......

Click image for larger version

Name:	164.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	515734
Old 12-09-2013, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy answer is to look under your jeep. The tub is not the lowest part. If you do not want to hit anything underneath then the answer is to lift your jeep higher and as was pointed out a combination of lift and tire height is the correct answer (or flat belly the bottom but thats probably way more than what you are looking for in terms of time money and techincal expertise).

Depening on the wheeling you do though, lift height and bigger tires reaches a point of deminishing returns and there is always going to be a situation where your bigger tires and lift height wont be enough to overcome the potential for hitting underneath.

In general you will find the common range for jeep lift/ tires to be 2.5''-4'' of lift and 33''-37'' of tire height. What you choose will be based on what you like looks wise, what you can afford, and the wheeling you do.

Some might suggest just getting better skids but you can get the best skids avaialble and all that means is you have a greater potential for avoiding damage but you will still be high centered sitting on your belly so the better answer is not to be high centered in the first place which means getting the belly off the ground.

If you dont have immediate plans of doing real technical trails get a budget boost. Its cheap and will get your belly up. Use that for a while and it may solve all your problems forever. If you find you are still getting hung up, throw on some taller tires. If you are still getting hung up, then you are doing trails which have requirements near the taller range indicated above but you should already have a good idea where you sit in that range. Good luck!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:32 AM
JK Jedi

silly over long 4 doors and there breakover angles... You get more clearance youll just find bigger things to drag on. Rock rails are a must if your crawling imo.

Quick Reply: Break over angle question