Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

broken rear diff cover bolt

Old 08-15-2008, 12:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Drilling oughtta be a last resort. If there is any of the bolt stickin out, you could try vise grips. In any event, the best idea will be to remove the cover, so you can access the bolt better. If it's broken flush, or below the surface, someone who is GOOD with a MIG or TIG welder can get it out VERY easily. All they need to do is build up some weld on the bolt to get it at or just above the surface and then MIG or TIG another bolt on the end then screw it out. If I had a nickle for every one I've done, I'd be rich.
Fellows if you have access to a MIG this is the way to go.......
Old 08-15-2008, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drill the Easy-Out hole with a left hand drill bit. 9 times out of 10 it will spin out first...
Old 08-15-2008, 06:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanx for all the replies guys
I will try the mig-tig if I can find someone
With one and I will buy the easy out as well
Where do they sell easy out?
Old 08-15-2008, 07:07 AM
JK Freak

Any auto-parts store should have them.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

ok thanx again guys I'll try this afternoon with the easy out first and I will post the results
Old 08-15-2008, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

I make my living as a machinist. When you try the Easy Out, be VERY gentle. You should also put the Easy Out in a tap wrench, if you turn it with an open end or box wrench, there is a good chance you will put enough side pressure on it to break it off. If you break it off in there, you are in deep doo doo. When you get things straightened out, get yourself a small torque wrench and you will avoid headaches like this in the future. From your description of what happened, I'm betting that the broken stud is seated very tight against the bottom of the hole and the Easy Out isn't going to have enough oomph to back it out. I'd be thinking hard about that MIG welder idea, we use this method in the shop more times than the EasyOut and have fine results. Just be sure your welder is capable. If the broken piece is close enough to the surface, have your welder tack a hex nut on the end and you can probably just wrench the whole thing out of there. A good welder (the operator, not the machine) can work wonders.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:28 PM
JK Freak

I am having second thoughts about the easy out as well
I gotta find a welder
Old 08-22-2008, 04:34 AM
JK Freak

Wondering if you have had any luck getting the broken bolt out???
Old 08-22-2008, 07:46 AM
JK Freak

Haven't tried yet, it's not leaking but I'm gonna try a local welder or machine shop to try the mig/rig method, I'm scared to try myself .
Old 08-22-2008, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

you could also try heating the area lightly with a torch when using the easy out.. the area around the broken bolt... not heat the bolt itself.

Heat should cause the hole to expand while the relativley unheated bold will be pretty much the same size. Should make it a bit easier to get out.

Quick Reply: broken rear diff cover bolt