Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Building custom tube fenders for my unlimited

Old 07-07-2009, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmmm..... I may be able to reproduce a set

I kept all the measurements and templates and probably have enough material to make one more set. The EVO ones are $899 per front and another $899 per rear (and I think more for skins and powdercoat) and I am not sure I could produce them for less than that with my time in it etc...

Shipping would be a bear too!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

They look great! Good job, you've got great fab'n skilz! Just keep in mind when you lean on a rock or graze a tree it will bend your sheet metal. If you look at EVO's they started off like yours and now it covers the whole side of the the fenders. Other companies haven't produced them because of the same issue. Plastic ones like xenon don't look as good as yours but when they hit a rock or tree they will flex and bend, less likely to damage sheet metal.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnnygresham
They look great! Good job, you've got great fab'n skilz! Just keep in mind when you lean on a rock or graze a tree it will bend your sheet metal. If you look at EVO's they started off like yours and now it covers the whole side of the the fenders. Other companies haven't produced them because of the same issue. Plastic ones like xenon don't look as good as yours but when they hit a rock or tree they will flex and bend, less likely to damage sheet metal.
Thanks Johnny... thus my original quote that someone will bring this up!!! Worth a reply though!

I had the xenons and they do bounce back... usually... but once you wack'em they are never straight again and they do tweak the body.

I ended up skinning the back like the evo's there just isn't a way around it.

The front however... If you install a good rocker you don't need to skin them. (skinning them is in fact easier than tying them into the frame which is probably why evo went that direction) My tubes are also tied into the frame (or sub frame) at 2 points... THEY ARE SUPER TOUGH. They are tough enough to use as a jack point. So I would need to REALLY crank something to do damage. If I hit anything that hard I guarantee the jeep would be mangled with a flexible fender!!!

And the tubes aren't as strong as the frame so the tube will give in a huge hit before the frame gives. Make sense?!

Last weekend I took a slow rollover on my side and the fender isn't as much as waved from the impact... The rear that stillhas a xenon on it, well, that is a different story!!!
Old 07-07-2009, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Those look amazing. I kinda like the skeleton look without the skin. Great job...
Old 07-07-2009, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by deathbyfire
Those look amazing. I kinda like the skeleton look without the skin. Great job...
My thoughts exactly I'm not a fan of tubes, but damn that looks badass. Either way...wanna make some up for my 2 door??
Old 07-08-2009, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would be interested in the plans. There is a fab shop here I could take them to. How much for a copy of the plans?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Awesome fenders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The video was cool too. That place looks fun.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Plans

Let me think about the plans! That may be a great way to go!
Old 07-11-2009, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Badlands and the cliffs

Originally Posted by JKMARINE
Awesome fenders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The video was cool too. That place looks fun.
Thanks, if you are in the midwest the Badlands is about the best; The Cliffs is great but very tight. There are some other places; but those two are probably tops.

Quick Reply: Building custom tube fenders for my unlimited