Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Building custom tube fenders for my unlimited

Old 07-07-2009, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building custom tube fenders for my unlimited

My last TJ had some custom fenders and were SUPER SOLID. When I got my Jk I started looking around at the Different companies that offer them.

h ttp://riverraider.biz/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=38&zenid=qujtsg52r hoifbpeatmm81ttc1 River Raider makes some

A set of 4 costs $999 I like them and the price is decent, but I wasn't sold on the custruction. With Tube fenders you want them to be solid so that if you hit anything they don't crease your sheet metal. I think the River Raiders work, They get critisized in extremem use for just being mounted to the body.

Off Road Evolution makes some pretty killer flares to the tune of $899 front and rear. These seem to be be well built and had I known what I was getting inti I would of just bought these!!!

Here is what I was looking for:

- SUPER TOUGH CONSTRUCTION: Hit a tree or put the truck on its side and keep my body straight!

- Custom look, I hate the way most JK fenders look

- I don't like how the fenders made for a JK follow the square line of the back fenders so I started mine at the same length of the rear and then angled them to follow the parallel line of the hood. I think this makes alot more sense.

- TOUGH. I had zenon flares and liked them ALOT. If you hit something they absorbed most of teh imact and bounced back. Alot of people cut their stock fenders. What I don't like about both of those is that the lines are never really straight. My goal is to build a structural tube that doesn't give. I will get ridiculed here that they are too structural and if they take a hit I could bend structural parts of the jeep etc... But If you hit something that hard you are screwed no matter what in my opinion; I would rather have a structural fender any day.

- Uncompromised build: This is tough in a JK. The lines of the JK are really hard. I was looking to raise the clearance as high as possible. As EVO does it a skin is often necessary. I was able to build the fronts without a skin. This may have not worked if I didn't tie them into the Teraflex Rockers though. The rear I tried to come up with a plan without a skin, but couldn't figure out a way and ended up choosing a skin.

- Cost: well since I and a friend are doing most of the work they are cheap to me, like I mentioned in the beginning I have way too many hours into these. My advice to anyone is buy the EVO's if you need extreme and the River raiders if you just like solid and aren't planning on abusing them... and the Xenon's if you want a nice look that bounce's back from light hits (although I did dent a fender with these) ... and if you are on a budget just trim your fenders and finish them with some kind of drim (door jam drim glued on works well!) There are articles here on how to do this.

I have posted several Hi Res images here

But here are the basic shots to get things going. Hope this is informative.

I am finishing the rears right now, I will post some images when I get them done!

I also went wheeling and tried them out! They worked GREAT. We went to the Badlands in Indiana.

Here is a video and some still images from the test run!

Last edited by Piginajeep; 07-07-2009 at 07:25 AM. Reason: please dont post clickable links to non-sponsors
Old 07-07-2009, 07:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks a mazing. great work. you have a great skill set for sure.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Nice work! Those came out looking real good. Nice Jeep!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks!

Yea, it has been fun, I am keeping all the dimensions etc... may see if any companies want to buy the plans!!!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:12 AM
JK Junkie

looks awsome..
Old 07-07-2009, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

great work that looks awesome!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:25 AM
JK Super Freak

beyond impressed. Anything custom-made is just great, especially when down the line people will be asking you where you bought those and you'll be able to say "I made them."
Old 07-07-2009, 08:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

those came out very nice congrats
Old 07-07-2009, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

SIIIIIIIIIIIICK! I want some! Send those to me and make some more!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they look awsome ! I want some... how much

Quick Reply: Building custom tube fenders for my unlimited