Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Built Dana 30 or Mopar Dana 44

Old 05-20-2008, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Built Dana 30 or Mopar Dana 44

Ok here's the deal. I have the Unlimitted X with D30 front and D44 rear axle.
I'm looking for lockers and I'm trying to decide what's the best way to address the front axle.
As of now the rear axle will be covered with an ARB locker.

The front is a different story because of the availability of products....or lack there of.

So what would be a better investment for the front axle?

Mopar Dana Rubicon Axle: stock E-locker
or
A built Dana 30: ARB locker only......or......ARB locker with Superior Axles

I've read a few threads about the Rubicon's E-locker having problems. Is this problem over exagerated? Is it not something worth worrying about?

ARB does not have a locker for the Rubicon front D44. If they did, it would make my decision easier. I would buy the rubicon front and upgrade it with the ARB.
Unfortunately they only have it for the Non-Rubicon rear Dana 44 (actually a good thing since I have the Non-Rubicon 44).

opinions/suggestions
Old 05-20-2008, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am working on pretty much the exact decision.....mopar dana 44 or upgrading the d30??

following the d44 route, i would be removing the brand new gears to replace with 5.13. i would also want to remove the shafts bc the outers are known to be weak.

basically, i am not sure if the cost-to-benefit makes much sense for the d44 route.

therefore, leaning toward keeping the d30 and swaping gears and shafts....

i would like to hear others opnions as well. good post! thanks.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it all depends on what you want to do. Either axle can be formidable, if built correctly and taken care of. If you think you're gonna be wheelin kinda hard, go for the 44.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

In my opinion, you will end up spending the same amount of money building up the D30 as you will buying the Mopar D44. The D44 will be a superior axle in the end because the d44 housing is substantially stronger than the D30. I would go D44.

I have not heard of many problems with E-locker on the Rubicons. There´s alway bound to be a few, for sure. Similar problems also plague the ARB like airline leaks etc. It goes with the territory.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VictorS
In my opinion, you will end up spending the same amount of money building up the D30 as you will buying the Mopar D44. The D44 will be a superior axle in the end because the d44 housing is substantially stronger than the D30. I would go D44.

I have not heard of many problems with E-locker on the Rubicons. There´s alway bound to be a few, for sure. Similar problems also plague the ARB like airline leaks etc. It goes with the territory.
im at the same place in my build and it's the "superior" housing that has me worried about the 44... i have yet to see a snapped 30 but i have seen a few snapped 44's
Old 05-20-2008, 05:04 PM
JK Junkie

I am running the Mopar 44 and have no regrets so far. Just be sure to tack-weld the u-joint caps in place. I don't really think that the housing is any stronger than a 30, just a larger ring and pinion, differential case, and larger axle shafts. Also, if you upgrade a 44 in the future, you have the option of going to 32 spline shafts. Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Renegade
I am running the Mopar 44 and have no regrets so far. Just be sure to tack-weld the u-joint caps in place. I don't really think that the housing is any stronger than a 30, just a larger ring and pinion, differential case, and larger axle shafts. Also, if you upgrade a 44 in the future, you have the option of going to 32 spline shafts. Good luck with your decision.
I thought there was a 33 or 35 spline shaft out there for the D44.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TxCop07
I thought there was a 33 or 35 spline shaft out there for the D44.
Superior has a "Super" kit that has 35 spline axles and an ARB for the rear, while moving the factory rear 32 spline locker to the front with new 32 spline shafts.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Renegade
Superior has a "Super" kit that has 35 spline axles and an ARB for the rear, while moving the factory rear 32 spline locker to the front with new 32 spline shafts.
ok that is what I was thinking. What spline is the D60? That Super D44 would be a pretty strong axle IMO.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:39 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TxCop07
ok that is what I was thinking. What spline is the D60? That Super D44 would be a pretty strong axle IMO.
D60 is also 35 spline.

Quick Reply: Built Dana 30 or Mopar Dana 44