Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built Engine, MORE BOOST!

Old 05-11-2017, 01:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

again let me state that these are different motors so this might not apply but the GN's were good to about 20 maybe 22 with good head studs. After that o ringing the heads was about mandatory if you wanted them to hold up for the long run. Granted timing control, fuel delivery and ignition control is much higher tech today.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been a while since the last update. A lot of time and hard work has been put into tuning on the dyno, both to perfect the tune for our Stage 1 and Stage 2 kits, and to work on the tuning for our Stage 3 beast with a built engine.

Unfortunately, we hit the limit of the stock fuel rail. But here's some dyno results showing where we are now. The red lines are a Stage 2 turbo Jeep. The blue lines are Stage 3. A high flow fuel rail is on order so that we can continue turning the boost up for even more power

Note: You may notice the torque/power curves do not cross at 5252 RPM like they should. This is because this chart is showing the raw torque recorded by the dyno (Dyno Dynamics), but the power is adjusted "comparison" power to be approximately comparable to DynoJet power numbers.

~Jeff
Old 09-07-2017, 09:30 PM
JK Newbie

boy this makes me want to find a 3.6 block and start building now for when my warranty is up!!
Old 09-09-2017, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That stage 3 really wakes up at 3500rpms! Be a neat little motor, pretty linear down low, and if you really want to go let the rev's build and 2-strike dirt bike performance. Fun. Keeps the power off for slow going off road, but throws it in pretty early (all things considered) for street or blasting up washes.
Diamond and Carrillo... top notch stuff.
Any idea what the block and crank are good for? Is the factory crank cast or forged? Shoot, I don't even know if our block is alum. or steel? Are they 2 bolt or 4? Splayed?
Guess I need to visit your web page, but, since the rails is out of duty, makes me wonder what you have going on for lines/pump/regulator... return? Guess I'm off to log time on your site.

My daily is a 3.5 Ecoboost F150 and I love that little power plant (about to be Livernois'd)... exciting to see what you guys are doing there. The Ecoboost is not asa "exciting" as the 5.0 (not as fun to "rev"), but for daily driving and working it's a superior setup.
Keep at it, really fun to read. Hard to believe you guys are getting near 600 crank hp out of a little 3.6 that had ~280hp from the factory. Lots of folks are poo poo about turbo's, but I'm guessing they have not experienced a well set up modern technology build.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Default 3.8

We need forged rod options for the 3.8!!!
Old 09-20-2017, 07:03 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dausmus
We need forged rod options for the 3.8!!!
We don't have forged rods for the 3.8, but we do have forged pistons: https://www.prodigyperformance.com/p...-pro-5038.html

~Jeff
Old 09-20-2017, 07:47 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mike H.
Any idea what the block and crank are good for? Is the factory crank cast or forged? Shoot, I don't even know if our block is alum. or steel? Are they 2 bolt or 4? Splayed?
Aluminum block

Allpar.com has some interesting technical details about the Pentastar, such as this:

The nodular iron crankshaft is common to all Pentastar engines (as of 2010); it has an 83% increase in fatigue strength due to the rolled fillet process. The crankshaft has four bolts on the main bearing supports; two more are cross-fitted in the main bearing caps providing an extremely rigid bottom end.
More: Pentastar Engines: Overview and Technical Details

I haven't personally seen the engine being built, so I don't have any details I can add. I believe there were many photos taken while building the engine, so I'll try to get a hold of and share some pictures of the insides of the engine.

We are expecting to eventually hit 600+ whp. I'm not aware of anyone else that has pushed a Pentastar as hard as we have, so there's a chance we may directly discover the limit of the block/crank.

Guess I need to visit your web page, but, since the rails is out of duty, makes me wonder what you have going on for lines/pump/regulator... return? Guess I'm off to log time on your site.
I'll try to get some more details on the fuel system. I know there was talk of a full E85-compatible conversion

My daily is a 3.5 Ecoboost F150 and I love that little power plant (about to be Livernois'd)...
I've seen some the dyno charts of Livernois tuned Ecoboosts. That should be fun. I actually work (my full-time day job; not at Prodigy) just a few miles away from Livernois Performance. I should go visit them on my lunch break sometime and see if I can somehow test drive a modded/tuned ecoboost Mustang

~Jeff
Old 09-23-2017, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the links, good reading.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ProdigyPerformance
We don't have forged rods for the 3.8, but we do have forged pistons: https://www.prodigyperformance.com/p...-pro-5038.html

~Jeff
I know y'all have forged pistons but we 3.8ers need rods as well. C'mon guys lol Can't just have those pretty pistons sit on these weak rods.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:44 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ProdigyPerformance
A high flow fuel rail is on order so that we can continue turning the boost up for even more power

A few more details...

These dyno results for "stage 3" (blue lines) were at 16 psi boost. The current plan is to work up to about 26 psi

~Jeff

Quick Reply: Built Engine, MORE BOOST!