Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

bumper and air bags

Old 10-26-2010, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bumper and air bags

I am looking to put the XHD non winch bumper with hoop and lights on. My question is will this effect my air bags. This is a DD that I drive my family around in. My second option would be to cut the stock bumper down and put the MRBP light bar on with lights. Please advise on the air bags.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

Air Bag sensors are a "shock" sensor, meaning not a switch on the bumper, etc. and 'I beleive' under the seats so the bumper you install has little to do with the air bag. There are some 'crush cans' behind the attachment points of the OEM bumpers, so as long as your new bumper attaches there, again no worries - IMHO.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ He's right. I took my stock bumper out with ease and there's no sensor attached to the bumper only in the frame I believe? Not sure, but you're safe to remove the stock and put in the new one. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:36 AM
JK Freak

the airbag is a Gforce sensor type. It detects sudden Decelaration (like a accident) and deploys the air bags. The crush cans that are on the bumper are for the 5mph impact. They serve no other purpose then to make our bumpers look funny with em.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, for the info, new bumper it is
Old 10-26-2010, 10:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

The crush cans are there to slow a minor impact and allow less damage to the bumper and front frame members.

There are two crash sensors mounted to the back of the front end module carrier on either side of the cooling module and inboard of the headlamp within the engine compartment.

There is an impact sensor in the Occupant Restraint Controller, which mounted on the tunnel between the front seats. This impact sensor verifies the severity and direction of the impact.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

All these guys are right. Thanks for the detailed explanation. It's nice to have this confirmed as I'm upgrading to the LoD mid-width in a few weeks when it's delivered.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I put our xhd on it was, remove factory plastic and metal sub, bolt on xhd.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1951541276.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	98309  

Quick Reply: bumper and air bags