Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper / Airbags

Old 11-15-2006, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper / Airbags

I feel like an idiot asking this but...

Isn't the bumper directly tied to the Airbag? Or is it something to do with the frame?

I see alot of great bumpers coming out but have been wondering how they avoid the airbag situation.

:confused:
Old 11-15-2006, 06:57 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm pretty sure the bumpers you use have nothing to do with how the air bags are released. Certainly, there's no sensors or wiring that I know of connected to it. If I could guess, the airbags use some other kind of sensor other than physical impact of a specific vehicle part alone. But then, what do I know?
Old 11-15-2006, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, the airbags have nothing to do with the bumpers or the frame. Assuming they are like the TJ, there is a small control module that controls them. In the TJ it was mounted to the floor right in front of the console.

This control module senses deceleration forces and fires the airbags when the vehicle performs some serious reduction in speed. Just like when the young lady decided to place her Pontiac Sunbird's passenger door right in front of my Rubicon. Only problem was I was traveling at 40 MPH. Jeep stops really fast in that situation. Airbags deploy very quickly.

Oh, and you then get to order a new JK since your '04 is totaled.

Quick Reply: Bumper / Airbags