Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Bumpers and winch?

Old 03-12-2013, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumpers and winch?

Ok I'm on a tight budget. Was thinking of buying a winch and buyin new bumpers. Now I hear that I need spacers according to the guy at my local 4wheel parts store. The off roading i want to do is real basic stuff. Nothing technical, just getting dirty on the easy trails by my house in charlotte. Or would I be better served to buys kit that has straps blocks and the essentials. If I go the kit route I have about $900 to do mods elsewhere. I'm very torn.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

Stubby bumper mod+winch plate+engo winch=done right on a budget.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you talking about coil spring spacers? Very inexpensive and easy to install. Teraflex budget boost 2" upfront and 1" rear about $130 and can be installed I'm a your driveway. Also "don't need them" but the extra weight of bumper and winch will defiantly sag the front.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a three inch lift now. So 130 covers the front and the rear? Dude at the shop was pushing 252 on the front and another 350 on the rear. Not worried about install as I got a mechanic neighbor/Friday night drinking buddy.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Default Spacers for What?

You need spacers for the winch and bumper?

I recently installed a Badlands winch onto the frame and retained the stock bumper. Cost was much less than a bumper and a winch. Took some planning and work. It was very fun to do and looks good with the stock bumper. I got the winch and winch plate at harbor freight. They had a coupon on the website for a 12k winch for 299. The plate was 19. Had to do some fab and mod work. I am happy I did it and we used it the past weekend.

Eventually I will go with an after market bumper. Like you I am on a budget and this was a great option for me.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed.....stubbied my bumper then mounted a harbor freight winch plate and Engo 10 k winch and VIOLA!!!!! Saved a good chunk of $$$$
Old 03-12-2013, 04:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of vendors sell low priced stubby bumpers with a winch mount. Don't waste your hard earned money on upgrading that piece of crap they call a OEM bumper. My personal opinion is the stock front bumper is plain, ugly, and weak at best.

When I took it off to put my new bumper on I could not believe how much plastic was on it vs metal. That thing would have never protected me in a bad accident.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I took off the plastic accents. I know the bumpers are really cheap. Mine is already bent from pulling too far in at a parking garage so I don't mind swapping it out. Next question, rear bumper options without a tire carrier. Is it necessary to swap out both at the same time? I have been searching and I have some ideas.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Nibsirb
Agreed.....stubbied my bumper then mounted a harbor freight winch plate and Engo 10 k winch and VIOLA!!!!! Saved a good chunk of $$$$
Can you post pics of your bumper. I already stubbied mine. Need to find a winch plate to use. I have the Curry tow plate system in the front so aftermarket bumpers would have to be modified. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Giantfootballs
Ok I'm on a tight budget. Was thinking of buying a winch and buyin new bumpers. Now I hear that I need spacers according to the guy at my local 4wheel parts store. The off roading i want to do is real basic stuff. Nothing technical, just getting dirty on the easy trails by my house in charlotte. Or would I be better served to buys kit that has straps blocks and the essentials. If I go the kit route I have about $900 to do mods elsewhere. I'm very torn.

Stay away from spacers if you're trying to address the sag resulting from winch and bumper weight. If your front end is sagging- then your front springs are compressed and your handling and braking will feel different. This is fixed by installing the correct coil springs that can handle the added weight. If you install spacers you are only raising the front and not addressing the overloaded spring- resulting in the poor handling, ride, and excessive dive when braking. Talk to a reputable lift manufacture and they will help- or call your current lift manufacture as some lift springs are capable of carrying the extra load. Even when on a budget it's worth doing right.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Bumpers and winch?