Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Burning smell stuck brake?

Old 10-02-2016, 09:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning smell stuck brake?

After driving my 2013 JK (standard tranny) and it gets a little warmed up, I notice when I come to a stop it feels a if the brakes are slightly on, but I'm not applying them. And if I apply the brakes and let go of the steering wheel, SOMETIMES it pulls hard left. Anyone have this and what was the issue? By the way my e-brake or parking brake is useless so it's not that!

Also the burning smell that resembles an electrical fire is coming from the front driver's wheel well so I guess this is the brake that is sticking?? No burning smell when I open the hood!
Old 10-02-2016, 09:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly the moment I let off of the gas, the Jeep slows downs noticeably. Its not like other vehicles I've driven that kinda feel like their coasting still.

I just had mine re aligned after installed synergy drag link and tie rods. Mine pulls to the left as well. The alignment came out good and where it should have been. I was told to try and rotate the tires to see if it could be them causing it.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Get a cheap infrared non contact thermometer from harbor freight. Drive until you get the symptoms. Then stop and use the device to measure the temperature of each rotor. That will show if one wheel is getting more braking than the others.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:04 AM
JK Newbie

Default Brake Caliper

Originally Posted by racueto
After driving my 2013 JK (standard tranny) and it gets a little warmed up, I notice when I come to a stop it feels a if the brakes are slightly on, but I'm not applying them. And if I apply the brakes and let go of the steering wheel, SOMETIMES it pulls hard left. Anyone have this and what was the issue? By the way my e-brake or parking brake is useless so it's not that!

Also the burning smell that resembles an electrical fire is coming from the front driver's wheel well so I guess this is the brake that is sticking?? No burning smell when I open the hood!
Brother it`s a stuck Brake Caliper it happen to my 07 cost me some $$$$$$$ new rotor, caliper, Wheel sensor and brakes......
Old 10-03-2016, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The pulling could come from various components. First I would check to see if your brake calipers are releasing all the way. It can be a bit labor intensive but put your jeep on jack stands and spin each wheel to see if one drags. the one that drags could be your issue. Since you state there is a pull I would start with the driver side first.

After the friction test is complete I would look to see if there is uneven wear on the inside of your front tires which could be an indication of lower ball joint issues.

Lastly and probably the culprit is if you have larger off road tires your Jeep will have a tendency to pull one way or the other due to the crown in the road, which is how the DOT sheds water off the road. For me depending on which road I travel my Jeep either pulls left or right depending on the crown.

R/
Will
Old 10-03-2016, 02:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the Mods on here think it was scooby had a caliper stick on him. I think he had a thread on it. It does happen. Not common but it can happen.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Just had the same exact problem, caliper was sticking. Mine was the passenger side front, but it would actually pull to the left and right, all depending if the caliper was sticking engaged on the rotor or sticking out as in not braking at all.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:48 PM
JK Newbie

Nothing today, everything normal but I'll check most of the suggested stuff and will update when I find what's going on...thanx all!!
Old 10-04-2016, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had samethink on my 13 and somehow a caliper bolt fell out. Brakes were never touched since buying the Jeep

Quick Reply: Burning smell stuck brake?