Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bushwacker or Xenon Flat Fender Flares

Old 08-06-2011, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bushwacker or Xenon Flat Fender Flares

Looking for that Crawler look... Running 2.5" Teraflex w/35 Nitto Trails.

Important:
Fit and finish
Quality looking on jeep - looks like a stock product
Any pics would be nice

I know there are other products but these are the two I'm on the fence about...
Old 08-06-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

I'm running bushwacker. They are easy to install and they also are a little flexible if you have to ever squeeze through trees like I had to before.

Attachment 191308
Old 08-06-2011, 07:52 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

personally, i think the bushwackers are the best and most factory looking flat fender you can buy.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:02 AM
JK Junkie

Def Bushwackers...although I wouldn't say they're THAT easy to install. takes a couple of hours and can get a tad bit frustrating, but all worth it in the end.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the bushwackers and I do like them a lot, however, the only thing I dont like, is the way theyre attatched. I'm eye balling trailmods flares with the removable pieces. Full flare for road and mud and super thin flare for rocks. Thats probably what ill go to next.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the xenons. I got them for $450 with free shipping. The thing I didn't like about the xenons was the nutserts on the rear. It was a little hard to figure out how they work. The fronts are fairly easy to put on. They also have supports that go under the fronts. The rear supports I could not figure out how to put on. I just left them off. Doesn't look like you need them on the rear anyway. The thing that blows my mind is how easy it is to snatch off a jk fender flare that is factory. It doesn't take hardly anything to rip the rears off. Definitely a good investment. It took me about 10 hrs to install the xenons and I still gotta get them painted. I am thinking about painting them myself. Just waiting for it to cool off in a couple months. The directions suck for wiring up the running lights. Who ever wrote the lighting part doesn't know what they are doing. They do not supply the wire or the ring terminal for it. I figured it out the first time I tried it. Black wire is positive and the white wire is gnd.

Last edited by Jusaplaya; 08-06-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fadeout
Def Bushwackers...although I wouldn't say they're THAT easy to install. takes a couple of hours and can get a tad bit frustrating, but all worth it in the end.
I would definitely steer away from Xenon and anything plastic!!!
I had Xenon and HATED them!!! $550 for JUNK!!!!
Steel Tube Fenders as far as I'm concerned would be MUCH better!!!

I replaced the Front & Back with Smittybilt XRC Body Armor, I love the look but had several serious modifications to make
while installing.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:05 AM
JK Junkie

Not a fan of steel at all too many major cons for me to deal with....
hard to repair once damaged,
may cause more damage to the body of the Jeep if fender is compromised (the BW just shear off and can be replaced)
heavier than plastic,
may corrode/rust (needs to be painted to prevent).
more expensive
fitment issues when installing.

I know the plastic ones aren't perfect, but for me there's way less to deal with problem wise than steel.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:13 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

of course, this is my favorite option ...

they're essentially free, look great are super flexible and take all kinds of abuse without doing ANY body damage - ask me how i know.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by photographix33
I would definitely steer away from Xenon and anything plastic!!!
I had Xenon and HATED them!!! $550 for JUNK!!!!
Well that is baited simplistic and opinionated info.

The general concensus is that Xenon flares will droop over time and sag pretty good and have soft plastic content. Xenon has a far easier mounting steup than BW's but their nitserts can be a bastage to install in the rears. Xenon's hold wicked tight to the body and BW's hold wicked tight to the rail that gets mounted to the body. BW's are rigid plastic fenders that utilize oem support and wheel well linings. BW's also can be a pain in the fanny to install as well with their "Rail" mounting system but do not require any new holes to be drilled which is a plus.

(Flares as they have come to be known) are far better on the jeep itself when it comes down to additional body damage from a serious hit to the fenders.

Metal tube fenders allbeit awesome, have hard mounting points that transmit bump and grind energy right to their prospective points and parts inbetween bending panels and the like on the Jeep itself. Also when a metal fender does get whackolied it is therefore bent and a few minutes with a hairdrier on low and cold water won't bring them back true again.

Co$t is another factor too. BW's are usually found from the 4-500 range. Many Metal fenders are in the 4-500 range for the fronts only.

But hey I am partial after all

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ToolManTimTaylor; 08-06-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Bushwacker or Xenon Flat Fender Flares