Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Buying my new tires and wheels today, question though

Old 08-14-2012, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my new tires and wheels today, question though

Do I need to purchase the sensors for the new 315/75R16? My 07 Sahara 2 door currently has P255/75R17. I was told I may. I have no idea abou this issue.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

The sensors can be swapped over. I have a 07 JK which still had the factory wheels and tires when I bought it. I changed them to AEV Pintlers and BFG KM2s. I had the sensors swapped to the new wheels and tires. They may try to talk you into purchasing new sensors but no need. The place that did my tires tried to.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

buyiing my wheels and tires as a package and shipped to me. What exactly do I need to do or not worry about with sensors? Should I have them installed, shipped to me and installed later, or just not worry about it?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

When I got mine, I decided to run without sensors, it was too much of a pain in the ass to get tires already mounted and balanced, take them to a shop break the bead take the sensors out of my old tires, and then remount and balance 10 tires. If the stupid tpms light bothers u,meet the aev procal (something you should get anyway with larger tires) and turn the light off.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by crawdaddy
buyiing my wheels and tires as a package and shipped to me. What exactly do I need to do or not worry about with sensors? Should I have them installed, shipped to me and installed later, or just not worry about it?
There are some other threads on this same topic. Some guys have taken the sensors out of the old tires and placed them all in the spare. Some disable the TPMS by setting the low threshold to 0 PSI with a ProCal.

I would take my JK to the shop and have them remove all the sensors from the old tires, have the new tires tore down, install the sensors, and install the new tires. This is what I did. It cost me $70 which included balancing and three hours of my time.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

If I go with the original sensors, I might as well just buy my tires and wheels seperate. This will eliminate the extra work and $$ of tearing down a tire and rim plus save me the cost of mounting and balancing the tire just to tear it down again.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 AM
JK Freak

If I go with the original sensors, I might as well just buy my tires and wheels seperate. This will eliminate the extra work and $$ of tearing down a tire and rim plus save me the cost of mounting and balancing the tire just to tear it down again.
I thought you already made the purchase. Yes!!! I would not pay to have them mounted and balanced from where you are making the purchase unless you do not want the sensors installed. Or you can buy new sensors at $40 a piece. I wouldn't.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the help. I will be ordering the tires and wheels today seperate. Thanks again
Old 08-14-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the help. I will be ordering the tires and wheels today seperate. Thanks again
No Problem. I looked at this same thing when I bought my tires. They were going to mount and balance the tires for $49 but you had to buy $160 in sensors. Totalling $210. Might have even been more for the sensors because you can get them on Ebay for $40. Dealer wants more.

I bought my wheels and tires seperate and had it swapped over for $70. Saved me $140 to do it that way. That's $140 to blow on something else for your JK.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SergeantChuck
No Problem. I looked at this same thing when I bought my tires. They were going to mount and balance the tires for $49 but you had to buy $160 in sensors. Totalling $210. Might have even been more for the sensors because you can get them on Ebay for $40. Dealer wants more.

I bought my wheels and tires seperate and had it swapped over for $70. Saved me $140 to do it that way. That's $140 to blow on something else for your JK.
Newbie here!
So just to make sure I am understanding correctly...
I am planning on buying the same stock tires to replace my old ones. The ones I plan on buying apparently does not have the tpms on it. If mine already do, it will work when i get the new tires installed? Also, would I have to ask my mechanic to make sure they can switch the tpms to the new ones?

Quick Reply: Buying my new tires and wheels today, question though