Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

C gussets AND sleeves???

Old 04-02-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine done a few months ago by a local shop and it only took him about an hour to get them welded on.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool thanks everyone!!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 02:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by robsjeep9

Whoa is that a bad word???

Anyone hear of the S y n n e r g y kits for C gussets? ANY GOOD?? Thx
I got them and their ball joints. I just had them installed at one time about a month ago. The gussets seem to be the stoutest design I've seen but I haven't had them long enough to really brag on them.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brink2177
I had mine done a few months ago by a local shop and it only took him about an hour to get them welded on.
My mechanic took a day. He put it up on the rack and welded on it a little at at time throughout the day. An hour is far too short if you do it right and carefully, because you don't want it to be too hot for too long. A whole day isn't necessary, but an hour isn't enough. If you continually heat and water quench to speed up the process, like the directions say, you will embrittle your housing/C's, leading to a premature catastrophic failure. Go slow, air cool, and find a quality welder and you'll be very happy with the results. It's a great kit.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mine a few months ago. i approached it as a weekend project, but that include the lift too and I did it myself with an occasional helping hand from my wife.
3 hrs - Removing axle.
2 hrs - install c-gussets
2 hrs - drilling 22 holes in the axle tubes
2 hrs - welding in sleeves
3 hrs installing axle

You can find where some people install it all with the axle on the jeep. I removed it to avoid all the challenges of welding upside down under the vehicle.

The guys at ORW said it would be about 8 hours for them to do it.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:11 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bbrown626
I did mine a few months ago. i approached it as a weekend project, but that include the lift too and I did it myself with an occasional helping hand from my wife.
3 hrs - Removing axle.
2 hrs - install c-gussets
2 hrs - drilling 22 holes in the axle tubes
2 hrs - welding in sleeves
3 hrs installing axle

You can find where some people install it all with the axle on the jeep. I removed it to avoid all the challenges of welding upside down under the vehicle.

The guys at ORW said it would be about 8 hours for them to do it.
Thank you!!! Where I live in Canada it's hard to find I experienced person to do this paricular job!
It can be frustrating cause I want it done right.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 PM
JK Freak

Thank you!!! Where I live in Canada it's hard to find I experienced person to do this paricular job!
It can be frustrating cause I want it done right.
Forget the sleeves...get a backbone truss instead. Eliminates the need to remove the axle.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:13 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by awesomo

Forget the sleeves...get a backbone truss instead. Eliminates the need to remove the axle.
So get C gussets and a Backbone truss? How much $ ? Easy install? Where can I buy?
Thx
Old 04-03-2012, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does mostly everyone AGREE that for a Dana30 up front it's best to sleeve and C gusset?

I'm looking at the EVO sleeve and gusset at Northridge4x4....

I want to do top and bottom C gussets for sure does anyone know time wise how many hrs it would take just to C gusset the top and bottom front axle???
And then maybe how many hrs to do BOTH sleeve and gusset for comparison sakes.

Thanks and anyone know if this EVO set is good? Thanks
-Get the EVO's from Northridge 4x4 (I did).
-Do both top and bottom stiffeners
-Leave the axles and springs attached. All you need to do is remove the tires (obviously).
-Installation will take about 1 1/2 hours with a good experienced welder.
-Use a moist rag to keep key components cooled and protected during welding.
-Start on the driver side, do one inch of weld to one section of the top bracket then make another 1 inch weld on the lower bracket. Then move to the passenger side and make another 1 inch weld on the top and then the bottom bracket. Move back to the driverside and repeat until welding is completed. Use the moist rag to cool as you weld.

This is the method I used and it worked perfect. No damage to anything.

PM with any questions.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya when I got my sleeves, C2s, and skids done we didn't pull axle. Just make sure you take time with the welding so you don't overheat the ball joints or anything else. ALSO trusses are known to warp axles when welding on.. That's why 90+% tell you to sleeve not truss

Quick Reply: C gussets AND sleeves???