Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

CAI & Throttle body problems??

Old 06-26-2011, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CAI & Throttle body problems??

Put an AEM brute force CAI and 'viper' throttle body on about 10k miles ago. So, the only thing changed with this mod is flow and diameter, right? No new wires or connectors. Since then, on four different occasions, i've had the engine cut off or a sudden lack of throttle response at the pedal(jerky like it's running out of fuel). Twice the electronic throttle control idiot light came on. Yesterday for the first time the traction control light also came on. When i turn the key off and restart, things are back to normal. All the eclectrical stuff still works when the engine cuts off, even seems as though power steering is working. So far, I've been able to safely get off the road or was in a safe area, but this is nuts. Two question for you all. Is this the mod or some other issue? Should I take it to the dealer as is, will they tell me my warranty is voided?
Old 06-26-2011, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its the viper TB thts doing it lots of threads on this
Old 06-26-2011, 08:41 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its leaning out your fuel mixture too much. Take it off and put the stocker back on, see if it still does it before any trip to the dealership. They will blame it, and for good reason. You wouldn't happen to be running a Superchip with it too? That leans it out even more.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

thanks. not running any programming modules...maybe should've tried that instead. thought i researched the tb and felt good about the mod, but that was before finding this forum.

for sale: one viper throttle body
Old 06-26-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Junkie

From what I've read, a canned power program like a Superchips Flashpaq actually makes it worse since they lean out the engine at WOT compared to stock. Now, I think a Diablo custom tune could work.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

the throttle body was actually an after thought. when I ran a different CAI with the stock tb it had a terrible whistle annoyingly loudest at cruising speed. did some reading, folks said the viper throttle body/CAI combo would alleviate that, figured i'd try it. knowing what i know now, should have tolerated the whistle or gone back to stock intake. now, the viper tb is in a box in the garage, stock tb back on, left the brute force cai on for now. hopefully it doesn't whistle.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tslewisz
From what I've read, a canned power program like a Superchips Flashpaq actually makes it worse since they lean out the engine at WOT compared to stock. Now, I think a Diablo custom tune could work.
Did a dyno before (stock) and it was running lean from Chrysler. Did the Diablo 87 tune and it evened out the air/fuel mixture to a perfect ratio (13). Haven't tried the 93 tune. Have the K and N and have the whistle but matches the whistle of the top off anyway so not a big deal (only at certain RPM's)
Old 06-26-2011, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had my Viper TB on for 7 months now and was the first person to install it and wright a review. Still no problems for me. I doubt what your experiencing has anything to do with the TB. If you follow up with the few that report problems many will say it was tracked to something else. One guy was a spark plug and a many have reported the connector on top of the gas pedal has worked it's way loose or the connector at the TB.

Your problem will come back with your stock TB but if you want to blame the Viper TB go ahead.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by burnout88
Your problem will come back with your stock TB but if you want to blame the Viper TB go ahead.
time will tell. if it turns out to be something else, i'll put it back on. i think it helped with acceleration and throttle response, but i didn't dyno it. for now i'm gonna start ruling out possible culprits. so it can sit in the garage closet a while.

now that i think of it, every time it happened i was descending from ~3400 feet to 2300 feet. suppose that could affect the mixture, but not every time?
Old 06-27-2011, 06:13 AM
JK Junkie

I run the AEM CAI and there is no problems. I would bet it is the Viper TB.

Quick Reply: CAI & Throttle body problems??