JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Can I make 37" work? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/can-i-make-37-work-339290/)

zstairlessone 12-27-2016 08:25 AM

Make sure to look up trimming in front of the rear tires (pinch seam) newer Jeeps don't have to worry about it, but yours most likely will.

JKBud 12-27-2016 08:35 AM

Being a college student as well, I would strongly advise against 37s. Mall crawler or not they require a lot of money and add an immense amount of stress on the drivetrain that it initially wasn't designed for. I've built my jk on 37s to be wheeled and be driven reliably; HD steering all around, hydro assist, LT shocks, steel bumpers, skid plates, winch and changed more parts you can name in the parking lot on campus. Being a college student and paying for everything myself made this pretty impossible. I was lucky enough to have a job and shop at work to do all the mods myself. Sure they look cool but the majority don't know what it takes to actually run them. Those late nights sometimes till 3 am wrenching on a week day making sure everything was just right. Since it won't be off-road there is really no return for such a large investment. Unit bearings and ball joints will be changed often along with other steering components. I'm not trying to be mean so please don't take it that way. I love to wrench so this extra work didn't bother me. It's got to be done right and I didn't leave anything to chance. Moral of the story; unless it's paid off wait until it is to dive in with mods because I'm sure there are college loans to be paid back. There's also school work to focus on which cannot slip. I worked on my jeep after I finished my studies and work because those came first. After all it is only a vehicle and it can take a back seat for a bit. Ultimately it's your money therefore your choice. I wanted to give my experience to maybe avoid future headaches. Good luck.

AJ_ 12-27-2016 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made 37s work axel and gears are stock

Monte417 12-27-2016 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rednroll (Post 4268709)
Karl, I just have to ask, what tire size "haven't" you had on your JK? :D I think I've seen you post pics of your JK with 33's, 34's, 37's and now you're putting 35's on? You just like changing tire sizes? :D

I was thinking the same thing lol. Could of sworn I seen this guy at rausch at the tatas event with 33s last summer or maybe it was a different jeep

karls10jk 12-27-2016 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Monte417 (Post 4268734)
I was thinking the same thing lol. Could of sworn I seen this guy at rausch at the tatas event with 33s last summer or maybe it was a different jeep

Yep, that was me. I've run many different tires and still haven't found what I'm looking for. I should have just went 35's from the start and been done.

Cameroncrane62 12-27-2016 11:18 AM

Thank y'all for the information! I just can't decide from 35" or 37"...