Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Can I put this Dana 44 on my "X"

Old 02-07-2014, 12:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKBANDIT55
Im sure the front and rear gears need to be matching. When he throws it in 4x4 it will cause problems. When I blew my front axle in my old 07 I got it replaced and the dude didnt check that I had 4.10 gears put in. he put in stock 3.21 gears in the front. When In 4 wheel drive the Jeep wouldnt run correctly. Tires moved at a different speed and torque and caused all kinds of noises.
This is 100% fact. Gears have to be the same front and rear.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:16 PM
JK Junkie

I just upgraded my 2013 Sport to Rubicon axles. Facts:

1. It is basically a simple swap. If you can put a lift kit on, you can swap the axles.

2. You need a Procal to update the gear ratio in the computer.

3. You need to decide how you want to wire the locker. Personal preference to some extent. Not a big deal though.

I spent months debating on dropping $10k for Prorocks, building my stock axles, buying new Rubi axles, etc. WORST option is to buy a new front Rubi axle and build the rear to match. In financial terms, lowest return on investment. Stock front Rubi is the same housing as the D30. Still need gussets, sleeves/truss, etc. 4.10 gearing is not usually ideal either. Then the rear build is gears, labor, locker, axle shafts, etc. You're over $2k in the rear now. Add it all up and you have $5k just to be comparable to a Rubicon.

Best approach: buy used Rubicon axles from someone doing an upgrade. Swap the front and rear. Sell your stock axles to offset the cost. Call it $3500 for front and rear Rubicon axles (that likely are already sleeved/upgraded), sell stock axles for $1200. So, $2300 or less and you have a nice set of 44s, with selectable lockers.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:29 PM
JK Jedi

not to thread jack, but if you look in the forsale area i have a set im debating selling.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys!!!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

Default I ordered!!!

I ordered the parts, the axle is on national backorder :( and I ordered rear gears and a install kit from Northridge 4x4. The guys over at Northridge were very helpful.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Default one thing after another

So I got my new axle in. However the guys at the shop are saying my factory drive shaft won't fit. :( I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning. From the sounds of it they are saying my factory shaft is 3 inches too long. If I remember I'll post the outcome later.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by shadowmonstr
So I got my new axle in. However the guys at the shop are saying my factory drive shaft won't fit. :( I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning. From the sounds of it they are saying my factory shaft is 3 inches too long. If I remember I'll post the outcome later.
I'd get a second opinion on that. The factory shaft is the same for a D44 and a D30. They expand when they're unbolted and have to be compressed for install. I did the same swap without issue.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I'd get a second opinion on that. The factory shaft is the same for a D44 and a D30. They expand when they're unbolted and have to be compressed for install. I did the same swap without issue.
Is there a special tool for that?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

No tool needed. Just bolt up to t-case and push from the front,to squeeze together and mount to the front. It should move very very easily.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rubi axle swap in X

I just purchased front and rear Rubi axles that have 5.13 gears C gussets and stronger axles etc. The housings are stock except for the Cs and Ruff Stuff dif covers. They are complete with the locker connectors (male and female) so the wiring should be simple. I'm planning on doing the swap into my JKUX myself with help. This thread has informed me about some issues I need to be aware of when making the DIY swap. This thread hasn't been active for awhile, but if any of you who have done this swap have any other helpful info to share please reply. I've already checked out Y90s thread and a couple of others regarding wiring the lockers. I am looking for any additional issues that I might run into regarding removing the old and installing the new axles. I'll be running 35s on an auto 3.8.

Quick Reply: Can I put this Dana 44 on my "X"