Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Can I re-use my gear oil?

Old 03-05-2012, 01:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I re-use my gear oil?

So, I will be getting new gears in the upcoming month and want to know if I can resuse the Royal Purple Max Gear SAE 75w-90 oil I put in at my 30k mile mark. I only have 32k miles now and haven't done any wheeling between that period. As you know, this isn't cheap gear oil ya know? I might put like 500 more miles, if that, by the time I get my gears...

Is this doable? Or not a good idea? Is there a way to filter the oil? Maybe pour it into a container with a magnet to get any shavings or whatever? Let me know if its something that shouldnt be done, or if it is possible/ok to do - what steps to help filter and/or assure the oil isnt contaminated?

Thanks everyone...
Old 03-05-2012, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

They're going to change your oil when they do your gears anyways, and after that you will HAVE to change it after 200-500 miles to ensure there's proper seating of the ring and pinion.

So the answer is, no, I wouldn't. Hell i wouldn't ever re-use any oil after it's already been added.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:07 PM
JK Super Freak

isn't a bottle of gear oil like, 15 bucks? why even bother risking it? you have to take it out anyways
Old 03-05-2012, 02:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by grim_creation
They're going to change your oil when they do your gears anyways, and after that you will HAVE to change it after 200-500 miles to ensure there's proper seating of the ring and pinion.

So the answer is, no, I wouldn't. Hell i wouldn't ever re-use any oil after it's already been added.
I'm aware they are, as they need to drain and open the differential cover.... It's just that I want RP for the oil and he said my labor charge includes the gear oil, but if I can re-use/provide my own then he'll drop the price just a tad (and i can afford to save every $$ with the recent DRASTIC mods ive made recently). Plus, I didn't know I'm gonna have to change out the fluid too(is this 100% true and/or required with ANY gear change, etc? never heard this). This makes re-using the oil, if possible, an even better idea.

And what does "I wouldnt ever re-use any oil after its already been added." mean? As in it being Royal Purple and a good quality/brand?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:13 PM
JK Junkie

Yea, I know I shouldn't risk it but what I'm trying to say/ask is with such a good brand/high quality synthetic oil with NO wheeling or differential being submerged since the change, it should still be at the peak of its perfomance/capabilities, so therefore its just draining it, checking for any impurities/contamination as best as possible, and then re-using.

Then again, after I think about the "what ifs" i guess you can say god forbid some tiny partical or something is missed, it could fudge the whole thing.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:25 PM
JnT
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CAN you? Yes.

SHOULD you? No.

If you had to drain your engine oil for some reason just after changing it would you collect and reuse the same oil? The problem comes with how you're going to collect it. Anyone I know uses the same catch pan for ALL their oil changes (diff, tranny, engine, or other) and it's also usually stored in the same place, a back corner or shelf of the garage where it's subjected to all kinds of dirt, particles, and other crap. Then if you use said catch pan to collect your oil and put that oil back in who knows what contaminants it's going to contain. Spend the money and do it right or you take the chance of wrecking your new gears all for saving what? $20-$30???
Old 03-05-2012, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

use it as bar oil in ur chainsaw
Old 03-05-2012, 02:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess you could but I wouldn't.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:58 PM
JK Junkie

Not trying to argue the fact if you can re-use or not, and I'm aware the gear oil will only cost like $60... the reasoning behind my post was to see if it can be done, that's all.

Obviously, everyone has their own way of saying "no"....nevertheless, I wont be re-using.

Now, what is this talk about having to drain and replace again after 500 miles with my new gears? Is this standard/required after a gear swap?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I definitely would re-use it. Why risk contaminating new gears? Do it right and get new

Quick Reply: Can I re-use my gear oil?