Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Can I run my Dana 30 front differential without the pinion installed?

Old 12-06-2013, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I run my Dana 30 front differential without the pinion installed?

Maybe silly question, but I munched my front diff last weekend. The Pinion is damaged and it makes a horrible noise. So my thoughts are to take the pinion out (plug the hole of course) meanwhile order a new ring and pinion. I personally don't think it is an issue but the carrier will be able to spin (I think).

Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Mark
Old 12-06-2013, 05:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think it will be fine and if i grenaded mine i would probably do the same. But im not 100% sure as ive never done it. Do you have a locker?
Old 12-06-2013, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
I would think it will be fine and if i grenaded mine i would probably do the same. But im not 100% sure as ive never done it. Do you have a locker?
Thanks, indeed that is what I thought as well.

No, no lockers, just 513 gearing. I am afraid the installation was very poor (didn't do it my self) unfortunately suffering now........

Thanks again for your reply.

Cheers

Mark
Old 12-06-2013, 05:34 AM
JK Junkie

If you are already pulling the carrier to get to the pinion then why bother putting it back in? Since you've got to pull the axle shafts to pull the carrier then I'd put them in the same category- leave them out.

The theory you've got sounds good but if it's already apart, why not take the safety route and leave the parts out?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2013, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

If your pinion is damaged you'll need a new ring anyway, they come as a matched set. When I grenaded my rear, I pulled the ring and carrier out and removed the DS, and drove it in four high (effectively making the jk a front wheel drive) until I got a new RnP.
You can try just pulling the pinion, but I believe the ring will still turn when the tires spin, so any broken pieces will grind up spider gears, etc.
I'd suggest pulling the ring and carrier and probably the pinion too.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls
If you are already pulling the carrier to get to the pinion then why bother putting it back in? Since you've got to pull the axle shafts to pull the carrier then I'd put them in the same category- leave them out.

The theory you've got sounds good but if it's already apart, why not take the safety route and leave the parts out?

Hi,

Indeed I need to take my axle shafts out to take the carrier out, however I need to put the axle shafts back in to be able to drive my jeep (not?), I am sure I have to and the axle shafts need to go back into the carrier otherwise they will be damaging the axle seals while spinning around...........

So my theory is to take the pinion out, plug it and put the carrier + axle shafts back in until I have my new gears.........

Cheers,

Mark
Old 12-06-2013, 06:04 AM
JK Junkie

I was just browsing around and Smashboogie4x4 confirmed that you do not need the stub shaft to hold the hub bearing together. That would be the only reason to put the shafts back in. Gimme a minute and I'll grab the link.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show....php?p=3753876

Old 12-06-2013, 06:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karls
I was just browsing around and Smashboogie4x4 confirmed that you do not need the stub shaft to hold the hub bearing together. That would be the only reason to put the shafts back in. Gimme a minute and I'll grab the link.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...1/#post3753876

Correct on jks you can run without the shafts no problem.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
Correct on jks you can run without the shafts no problem.
Indeed but you still need the stub shaft (short end) to hold the bearing in place......... I don't want to take my axle shafts apart hence with the axle shafts installed I need to run the carrier.

Great brainstorming here, thanks guys.

Thanks for the link as well.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 12-06-2013, 06:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Markdsv

Indeed but you still need the stub shaft (short end) to hold the bearing in place......... I don't want to take my axle shafts apart hence with the axle shafts installed I need to run the carrier.

Great brainstorming here, thanks guys.

Thanks for the link as well.

Cheers,

Mark
No you don't need the stub shaft to hold the bearing in place You can drive without front shafts completely. Tjs yes jk's no need.

Sent from my super cool Note 3

Quick Reply: Can I run my Dana 30 front differential without the pinion installed?