Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use an OEM drag link after doing the drag link flip?

Old 05-21-2015, 09:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can I use an OEM drag link after doing the drag link flip?

Stems from my needless steering box issues. Can't adjust my drag link since the adjustment sleeve on the synergy link is seized solid. Its to the point that the 1 1/4" nut is actually starting to round. Parts are on their way but its about 2-3 weeks out at this point. I have a few wheeling trips planned before then so would rather be driving the Jeep then riding shotgun.

In the interm can I use a OEM drag link in the flipped position? If not, can I still use it in the OEM position with a drop pitman arm for a couple weeks? The knuckle had to be drilled out for the synergy TRE so not sure if the OEM drag link can still be securely attached to it.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An OEM RHD draglink can be flipped and used on LHD jeep. But your regular one, no it can't.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It won't work flipped. Try Amazon for a RHD ($60)
Yes drop pitman arm is your only other option unless you remove the track bar bracket.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
It won't work flipped. Try Amazon for a RHD ($60)
Yes drop pitman arm is your only other option unless you remove the track bar bracket.

So OEM LHD drag link and drop pitman arm is doable?

Edit: I'm in Canada so a RHD drag link off amazon would probably take just as long to get here as the synergy parts
Old 05-21-2015, 11:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Vladimer
So OEM LHD drag link and drop pitman arm is doable? Edit: I'm in Canada so a RHD drag link off amazon would probably take just as long to get here as the synergy parts
If you have a raised track bar bracket on the axle side you can't drop the pitman arm without getting bad bump steer. A drop pitman arm in this case would actually make it worse than using the stock pitman arm.

Last edited by JE8154; 05-21-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:39 AM
JK Junkie

Is your steering wheel off center currently, setting off the ESP?

If that is the case, I'd actually adjust your trackbar to get the steering wheel centered enough to drive without issue. Its not ideal, but it'll get you by until the new parts come in from Synergy. Leave everything else alone in the interim.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JE8154
If you have a raised track bar bracket on the axle side you can't drop the pitman arm without getting bad bump steer. A drop pitman arm in this case would actually make it worse than using the stock pitman arm.
Should of clarified, meant if the drag link was attached to the knuckle in the normal position, not flipped. Wouldn't that essentially equal out?
Old 05-21-2015, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by D_engel
Is your steering wheel off center currently, setting off the ESP?

If that is the case, I'd actually adjust your trackbar to get the steering wheel centered enough to drive without issue. Its not ideal, but it'll get you by until the new parts come in from Synergy. Leave everything else alone in the interim.
Still up on jackstands so not sure how well it would drive. I was rather sick when I did the steering box swap and changed a bunch of the adjustment ends, long stupid story lol. With the new box and everything adjusted its impossible for me to get the steering wheel straight since the adjustment sleeve on the knuckle side is seized solid. If I could adjust it then I'd be all done.

If the wheels out a little its not bad since its just the light that goes off, if its off anymore then a quarter turn or so it starts acting on its own trying to brake. If its that far off then the only way to disable it is to pull the TC fuses but that also disables the lockers and sway bar.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Vladimer
Should of clarified, meant if the drag link was attached to the knuckle in the normal position, not flipped. Wouldn't that essentially equal out?
unless you also added a frame side drop bracket. No it wouldn't equal out. None of this is worth doing. Do what was suggested above or take the synergy drag link to a shop and let them have a go at getting it loose.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply: Can I use an OEM drag link after doing the drag link flip?