Can Lockers Break the Axle? - JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

Notices

Can Lockers Break the Axle?

Reply

 
 
Old 03-16-2009, 06:45 PM
  #1
JK Super Freak
Thread Starter
 
RN M OVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,047
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Can Lockers Break the Axle?

Got a couple questions regarding lockers and axles...

1. ) On the factory X, the Dana 30 front w/ 3.73 gear ratio is what spline? What is the spline of the factory X, rear Dana 44 w/ 3.73 gear ratio?

2.) I want lockers, can they break an axle shaft? I know lockers will distribute the power to one wheel. I just want to make sure that the lockers won't break either of my axles when tackling some serious stuff.

Thanks!
RN M OVR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:49 PM
  #2
JK Jedi
 
bigbluejk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: texarkana,tx
Posts: 5,168
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It all depends on how you drive it. If you have your wheels in a bind and you mash the gas you are more likely to break with a locker. I had an aussie in my front, but I am not comfortable with running an auto in the frot. I want to be able to turn it on and off. 99% of the time on the trail I don't need lockers. I think you are less lkely to break with a selectable and smart decision making.
bigbluejk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:55 PM
  #3
JK Super Freak
 
greenamphibious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 1,942
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

locked d30 with oem shafts and anything bigger than 33s is gonna boom sooner or later
greenamphibious is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:01 PM
  #4
JK Super Freak
Thread Starter
 
RN M OVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,047
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So in regards to lockers; should I be asking, what aftermarket parts and/or shafts should I be looking into?
RN M OVR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:03 PM
  #5
JK Super Freak
 
joey2times's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,016
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RN M OVR View Post
Got a couple questions regarding lockers and axles...

1. ) On the factory X, the Dana 30 front w/ 3.73 gear ratio is what spline? What is the spline of the factory X, rear Dana 44 w/ 3.73 gear ratio?
ummm cant help you there I dont know what Spline is... but would love if someone could explain it


Originally Posted by RN M OVR View Post
2.) I want lockers, can they break an axle shaft? I know lockers will distribute the power to one wheel. I just want to make sure that the lockers won't break either of my axles when tackling some serious stuff.

Thanks!

Ummm I could be wrong here... but isnt that exactly what Lockers Stop? Dont lockers Lock the the whole Axle to one consistant speed so both wheels driver and passanger on either the front or the rear axle lock and turn at the exact same time... Having all the power to one wheel would mean shit for traction no? I thought the whole point of having lockers is so that you do not get wheel spin all generated from one wheel that has the least resistance... LSD's move torque from the wheels that slip to the ones that are gripping... lockers I thought locked them both at the same tq and speed at all times....

someone correct me if I am wrong...
joey2times is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:30 PM
  #6
JK Jedi
 
RedneckJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 7,203
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You can break an axle with an open differential, so yes, most certainly with a locker you can break hell out of them. The key is being careful.
RedneckJeep is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:50 PM
  #7
JK Enthusiast
 
JK7349's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Evans, GA
Posts: 200
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RN M OVR View Post
Got a couple questions regarding lockers and axles...

1. ) On the factory X, the Dana 30 front w/ 3.73 gear ratio is what spline? What is the spline of the factory X, rear Dana 44 w/ 3.73 gear ratio?

2.) I want lockers, can they break an axle shaft? I know lockers will distribute the power to one wheel. I just want to make sure that the lockers won't break either of my axles when tackling some serious stuff.

Thanks!
1)Front Dana 30 has 27 spline axles, Rear Dana 44 on a X has 30 splines, Rubi's have 32 spline axles.

2) A locker will lock both side axles together and they will turn at the same time regardless if one wheel is in the air and the other on the ground. This is why people put lockers in, more traction. In my opinion if you spend the money on a locker go ahead and put chromemoly shafts in. Then you won't have much to worry about, unless you like the skinny pedal alot. But even then thats what the upgraded shafts are for!
JK7349 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 PM
  #8
JK Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: fargo nd
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I can tell you from what happened to to my front axles you don't want a locker in your 30 unless you upgrade your axles .....last week we had a blizzard and i drove in to some deep snow and as soon as the tires started to get traction both front axles snap at the u-joint and bent both lower ball joints .Before the locker i went through foot and a half deep crusty snow many times with no problems and the snow that broke my axles was fluffy much easyer to drive through..
yellow07x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:32 PM
  #9
JK Freak
 
dpoelstra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 753
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Lockers have never been recomended for snow because of that.

Anyways, it is all relative. you won't break an axle because of a locker. you may get into more difficult situations with a locker, because you can do more.

I broke an axle on my front Dana 30, but I knew what I was doing was stupid. I was taking a risk and I knew it. I have been in many situations that I knew were bad, and worked out of it before any breakage.

Get a locker, and drive smart and you will be fine. If you do extreme stuff, upgrade axles to chromoly. I still haven't, but want to eventually.

I also run an auto locker in the front, which I love. It is all in your style. When going off road I want to be locked until I am back on the pavement. Some like to turn it on and off. To each their own.

I also disagree that a Dana 30 with anything more than 33s will break for sure. The Dana 30 is not a bad axle. I know guys who do more extreme stuff than me with 35s and a Dana 30 with an auto locker and just drive smart.

Don't be afraid of a locker. Learn from smart guys, and be smart yourself, and you will be fine. Also don't make decisions like this because one guy had a bad experience in a situation you may or may never experience.
dpoelstra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:07 AM
  #10
JK Jedi
 
pearl-drum-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dpoelstra View Post
Lockers have never been recomended for snow because of that.

Anyways, it is all relative. you won't break an axle because of a locker. you may get into more difficult situations with a locker, because you can do more.

I broke an axle on my front Dana 30, but I knew what I was doing was stupid. I was taking a risk and I knew it. I have been in many situations that I knew were bad, and worked out of it before any breakage.

Get a locker, and drive smart and you will be fine. If you do extreme stuff, upgrade axles to chromoly. I still haven't, but want to eventually.

I also run an auto locker in the front, which I love. It is all in your style. When going off road I want to be locked until I am back on the pavement. Some like to turn it on and off. To each their own.

I also disagree that a Dana 30 with anything more than 33s will break for sure. The Dana 30 is not a bad axle. I know guys who do more extreme stuff than me with 35s and a Dana 30 with an auto locker and just drive smart.

Don't be afraid of a locker. Learn from smart guys, and be smart yourself, and you will be fine. Also don't make decisions like this because one guy had a bad experience in a situation you may or may never experience.
X2. In some cases the extra traction from the locker may actually be less stressful in some situations if one is trying to power through with open diffs with wheel spin/hop.
pearl-drum-man is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Stephane87
JK Show & Tell
19
02-14-2015 05:33 PM
EvilWays
JK Off-Road 101
12
10-23-2014 11:19 AM
jalmonralmon
Modified JK Tech
4
03-28-2012 06:26 AM
Canyonrunner
Stock JK Tech
2
07-17-2011 07:42 PM
Dralphy
JK Talk
27
02-04-2011 12:46 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:40 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: