Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Can you look at my clutch and flywheel? Toast?

Old 12-03-2013, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you look at my clutch and flywheel? Toast?

Hi guys, I have a 2012 JK and have ruined my second clutch, Jeep only has 20,000 mikes, I'm a very slow learner, went through mud again and pushed clutch in (didn't think I was in too deep). After flushing out the clutch after the mud hole it stopped disengaging so I had to tear it down.
Anyways, here're some pics. I already bought a new CF TOB but do you think I need a new clutch? New flywheel? Can 2012 flywheels be turned? There are some heat marks on the fly wheel with some small grooves. Also the fingers on the clutch plate are bent a little. Also does it look like the TOB was partially seized and turning (there are marks on the fingers) causing it to not disengage? I guess the caked on mud didn't he;p either...
I'd rather not buy a new clutch, money is so tight right now, especially don't want to buy a new fly wheel, but I guessing I need to :(, what do you guys think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2349.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	514168Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2350.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	514169Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2346.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	514170Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2341.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	514171Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2340.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	514172
Old 12-04-2013, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Plenty of hot spots on that flywheel. Definitely have that surfaced. Disclaimer: I've completed a ton of clutch jobs, but none on our '12s so while I don't unequivocally know the answer to "can it be surfaced?" it certainly appears it can be and I've not ever seen one that cannot.

The most important component in the equation you do not have pictured. From the appearance of the flywheel, there's been a ton of slippage which means the disc is likely glazed ("lubricated" by the mud) requiring replacement and it makes no sense to replace the disc, machine the flywheel and not replace the pressure plate, TOB AND pilot bearing.

I know it's not the answer you want to hear if $'s tight, but any other way is influencing another tear down.

Last edited by fredrok; 12-04-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep have to agree with what fredrok posted.

Oh, and stay out of the mud

Old 12-04-2013, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Oh, and stay out of the mud
Yea, forgot that one......
Old 12-04-2013, 09:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fredrok
The most important component in the equation you do not have pictured. From the appearance of the flywheel, there's been a ton of slippage which means the disc is likely glazed ("lubricated" by the mud) requiring replacement and it makes no sense to replace the disc, machine the flywheel and not replace the pressure plate, TOB AND pilot bearing.

I know it's not the answer you want to hear if $'s tight, but any other way is influencing another tear down.
Well said. In my experience you are better off just replacing the entire clutch assembly and TO bearing while you are in there.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

I feel your pain, '12 JKUR with 40k, time for a new clutch, pressure plate, TOB and flywheel. Dealer wants $1900. Not paying that price. :/

This space intentionally left blank
Old 12-09-2013, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BeanBry
I feel your pain, '12 JKUR with 40k, time for a new clutch, pressure plate, TOB and flywheel. Dealer wants $1900. Not paying that price. :/

This space intentionally left blank
Yeah just finished mine, what a pita. Did it by myself which kinda sucked and the cheap ads harbor freight tranny jack was more frustrating than it was worth (the casters were a big help though)
I ended up just changing the TOB and just cleaning the other stuff (soaked the pressure plate in water/simple green and flushed the crap out if it)
Seems to be running fine now so thank god. I don't want to do that again.
Lol, got the tranny lined up first try installing it then realized I forgot to touque the pressure plate bolts. Had to unbolt and remove the tranny. The second try putting the tranny back on on took me 3 agonizing hours, just would not line up the second time.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did you use a clutch alignment tool?
Old 12-09-2013, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MMXJKU
Did you use a clutch alignment tool?
I actually ordered one from Amazon (had an extremely had time finding one). Finally got the one from Amazon and it was the wrong one. I couldn't find a place anywhere on this planet that had one for my Jeep. Had to buy a cheesy universal kit the day of the install. Which doesn't give you an exact fit. I think the 2nd time I put the tranny back on it probably off centered the disk a bit which is why the 2nd time was so hard.
Now I just found out my front diff is trashed. All that work on the clutch now the diff is gone :( My fault though I guess.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I have the KD Tools clutch alignment tool and it worked great. It isn't Jeep specific.

Quick Reply: Can you look at my clutch and flywheel? Toast?