Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caster is out and Im about to lift, what do I need to fix it?

Old 04-19-2014, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Caster is out and Im about to lift, what do I need to fix it?

I installed the rear portion of my teraflex lift this weekend but Im waiting until next weekend to do the fronts (front 5100s and teraflex trackbar are still shipping). My caster/camber was already a bit out prior to the lift and I fear it will get worse after the lift so Im wondering what the best (and cheapest) method to correct it is. Would geometry correction brackets be a good start or should I look into adjustable control arms?

And recommendations?

On a side note, the rear lift was fairly simple to install.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best recommendation would have to be to look at adjustable control arms. Will give you the ability to fix your caster and if your ever gonna upgrade your lift more anyways, control arms are probably in your future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2014, 11:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by AXIS
My caster/camber was already a bit out prior to the lift and I fear it will get worse after the lift
Do you have an alignment printout showing the caster and camber numbers?

The lift will not affect camber, but assuming bent C's were the cause, you might want to go ahead and add gussets to keep them from bending further. If the numbers are far enough out, the 'fix' will probably be adjustable balljoints. (depending on the numbers...)

The caster will definitely be lower. How much lower, and how flighty the steering will get, depends on lift height. Your options for caster correction are cam bolts (most people will not recommend), drop brackets, fixed control arms, adjustable control arms. (One set of arms, either upper or lower, will let you set the caster/pinion. The second set will let you fine tune, as well as move the entire axle forward/backward in the wheel well.) They all have pro's/con's, so do a little research on each to see what fits your needs.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Would I need upper and lower arms or just the adjustable lower?

Here is the alignment report I got pre-lift.
Its not as bad as I recalled it being, but I dont know why there is an initial and final report as the didnt actually adjust anything.
My jeep also seems to pull slightly left on occasion.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

but I dont know why there is an initial and final report as the didnt actually adjust anything.
Are you sure that they didn't add cam bolts?? According to that sheet, the caster definitely changed.

For the camber, it's judgment call time. The right side is out, but is it enough to cause problems on that tire? Maybe just rotate more frequently and watch for wear? You'll probably want to get more opinions on that, and maybe try to figure out if it's a bent C, or maybe a worn balljoint or something.

You didn't mention the lift height. Lower lifts, a single set of arms is fine. (Either upper or lower, doesn't matter. They do the same thing, just backwards of each other). For taller lifts, one set will work, but both sets would be much better so you can regain wheelbase.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-19-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Are you sure that they didn't add cam bolts?? According to that sheet, the caster definitely changed.

For the camber, it's judgment call time. The right side is out, but is it enough to cause problems on that tire? Maybe just rotate more frequently and watch for wear? You'll probably want to get more opinions on that, and maybe try to figure out if it's a bent C, or maybe a worn balljoint or something.

You didn't mention the lift height. Lower lifts, a single set of arms is fine. (Either upper or lower, doesn't matter. They do the same thing, just backwards of each other). For taller lifts, one set will work, but both sets would be much better so you can regain wheelbase.
If they did install cam bolt than they did it very quickly and for free. I took it in for an alignment check and thats it (free).

Im lifting it 2.5" and the ball joints are new (synergy) as well as the tie rod and drag link (synergy again)

Any my tires are directional so I can only rotate front to rear. I suppose Ill take it in to check the alignment again after I finish lifting the front end and see where its at.

Quick Reply: Caster is out and Im about to lift, what do I need to fix it?