Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Charcoal relocate, or skidplate it??

Old 08-23-2007, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charcoal relocate, or skidplate it??

I did some searching but didn't find to much, however after talking to someone who runs a club, he said his last trip offroading, all of the 4-door jk's except for one broke loose the charcoal canister.

What has others done to move it or skid plate it? Onlything available that I know of it the Kilby's kit.

Any other recomendations for the do it yourselfer?

Im planning on extending the breather lines this weekened, doing something with that charcoal canister, and building a wooden box to secure things in the back of the jeep.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2007, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Default hardware vs software

If you relocate the canister and plumbing be careful of the leak detection system. Not saying you couldn't relocate but big brother is always watching and if the new connections are not leak free, you will be fighting a check engine lite.

At least with the skid-plate option you only have to deal with hardware. My .02 cents.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2 door w/ 4" lift and a week after wheelin I heard a scraping sound then nothing.... I looked back in the rear view and saw the canister tumbling across the interstate. Of course it was during the hardest rain of the year.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lol

Silly JK, not a TJ
Old 08-23-2007, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedRockJKRubi
I did some searching but didn't find to much, however after talking to someone who runs a club, he said his last trip offroading, all of the 4-door jk's except for one broke loose the charcoal canister.

What has others done to move it or skid plate it? Onlything available that I know of it the Kilby's kit.

Any other recomendations for the do it yourselfer?

Im planning on extending the breather lines this weekened, doing something with that charcoal canister, and building a wooden box to secure things in the back of the jeep.

Thanks
I relocated mine up almost 2" when I did my 1" BL. Real simple and free.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

I relocated mine over the rear axle, i thought for sure my axle wont reach up there but it did. now i've had my exaust dualled out and i'm going to move it where the muffler used to be, i'm going to try gas tank epoxy to plug the hole in the charcoal, i hope that will work
Old 08-23-2007, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Post Evap canister

I relocated mine with Kilby's kit and have not had a single issue in 600 miles with the check engine light.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

where does the kilby kit make you put it
Old 08-23-2007, 08:39 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe it's just me but since getting my JK, I have put on over 13,000 miles on the odometer and cosidering I work from home, a vast majority of those have come from driving out to the trails and wheeling it hard. And, to this day, I can tell you that I do not have a single scratch on my EVAP canister. Now, I'll be honest and tell you that I too thought this thing might be a potential problem (and it still might be) being located where it is, but it simply hasn't been and I really don't know how necessary it really is to armor up and/or relocate it. Granted, if you've got a 2-door and are looking to relocate your muffler along your drive shaft, I could see why you might want to do this but that's about it. But hey, that's just me.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:39 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hemi
where does the kilby kit make you put it
Behind the gas tank.

Quick Reply: Charcoal relocate, or skidplate it??