Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chasing down a mild squeal/whine

Old 10-24-2016, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Chasing down a mild squeal/whine

So, did lots of trouble shooting and thread searching on various forums, and decided to post this up for input. Very strange... first off, 2014 JK Sahara with front and rear Detroit TT, Yukon 4.56 gears, all installed professionally over a year ago. Up to this point, no issues what so ever.

About 3 days ago, I noticed a squealing sound coming from what sounded like the front of the jeep. I wrote it off as random. But the more I drove the jeep, the more narrowed down I have it. It's very distinct and seems to be up front. It happens at 20 MPh and goes away at about 23 to 24 MPh. It seems to only happen when I accelerate from a stop. In other words, if I come to Highway speed and slow down to 20, no sound. Pressing the brakes and work the emergency brake have no effect. Acceleration or deceleration don't matter, just so long the speed is maintained. Swerving left to right doesn't change the sound. Shifting the transfer to 4H and back to 2H doesn't change it. No vibrations, and the jeep rides and tracks fine. All I found was the drivers side of the front axle seems to have a small leak around the C. Figure a seal gone or going out. The diff was a little low, so I topped it off. Took a ride after that, no change to the sound. WTF?????!!!!!!!! Help guys!!! It's totally random and rarely makes the sound. But, I know something isn't right.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could it be coming from your pinion? I had an issue similar years ago. Ended up needing a new instal kit.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

I'm sure it could be. I guess the question is, if I need new bearings, and since it just started making the noise, would my gears and TT be ok?
Old 10-24-2016, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
I'm sure it could be. I guess the question is, if I need new bearings, and since it just started making the noise, would my gears and TT be ok?
Yes they should be. Can't say for 100% certain but they most definitely should be.
Have you checked your driveshaft, also check your hub assembly's.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:02 PM
JK Freak

How would you suggest checking the driveshaft? I actually did the wheel hub check on the drivers side and forgot to check the damn passenger side. I'll do that tomorrow.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:28 AM
JK Freak

Update. Noticed this morning that if I pull up to a stop sign and turn left, when I strait end out and hit 20, the sound is there. On the other hand when I turn right, zero sound. This sound more like a wheel bearing now?
Old 10-25-2016, 03:08 AM
JK Junkie

WB is another good one to check as stated before. Turning might make it worse like you stated.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
How would you suggest checking the driveshaft? I actually did the wheel hub check on the drivers side and forgot to check the damn passenger side. I'll do that tomorrow.
A quick and easy check would be to simply crawl under and check the front driveshaft for any play. It will have rotational play (back lash) but ensure it's not too much. You should be able to tell if it's way out of whack. Also check it for any vertical or horizontal play. You want to focus on where it connects to the diff, but also check where it comes out of the transfercase. While you're down there, it would also be a good time to check the rear. Make sure you have your vehicle in neutral though. Put it in neutral, and then give the jeep s little nudge just to ensure there's no bind on the driveshaft. Also, make sure you put your emergency brake/ and or a wheel chalk down.

Edit: forgot to add, what your main concern should be is making sure there's there is no in/out or side/side play. If there is, it's a fair indication your pinion bearings are worn out, or that possibly your pinion nut is loose.

Last edited by Chuck-The-Ripper; 10-25-2016 at 03:53 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

Checked both driveshaft. They rotate around 1/4 to a 1/2 inch, so not much. There is zero in/out play on both. I also jacked my passenger side up and there is zero play in the hub. None of the driveshaft boots are torn or spitting grease. I'm at a loss... 😟
Old 10-25-2016, 01:16 PM
JK Freak

Yall gonna laugh at this one. The jeep is fine. Took it to the mechanic that did my gears and lockers. We rode around, it squealed and made a racket. Rolled the windows down, me in the passenger seat. I was like, hold it right there. Climbed out the window and sat on the door. Just as loud as hell, it was coming from the light bar. Sounded horrible, like steel on steel. Wtf???!!!!!! Hahahhahaha. Gave the light bar a slight rotation to change the air flow, noise gone. Had that light bar on there almost 2 years, never a peep. 😂

Quick Reply: Chasing down a mild squeal/whine